• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 29, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Thanks guys-

I think I have it now but I still don't understand what they're talking about when they mention a "tab". The arm I'm dealing with has an offset bend near the base to help clear the exhaust and engine tin. I assume they are all basically the same.

I'm heading out now to install it. I guess the paint has dried enough. I just finished servicing the deck on my "green thing". I overlooked cleaning it last fall and it had a small amount of build-up. Busy day....

Kraig:
And he calls me the old guy.....(he's probably forgot that, too)

1a_scratchhead.gif

I just don't have enough portable HDD cases for all of my HDDs. I've only got 3 cases and I think 2 HDDs not in cases.

I don't loose anything ... it's just that somethings hide better than others.

Wayne, the "tab" is internal to the engine, if all you are changing is the external parts you will not see the "tab".

K.G., (not sure what to call you these days.
1a_scratchhead.gif
perhaps I'll go with KENtucky and call you "the old guy".
dunno.gif
) Yep, KENtucky seems to be loosing it.
old.gif

KENtucky, would you like me to send new CDs with that rattle can paint handle?
happy.gif

Kraig - No ... but you could bring them ...

I've found one set on one of the HDDs , copying it to the PC.

KENtucky, I wish time and funds would allow for a road trip to visit. Hmmm, maybe I can get Art to drive.

Art, road trip?
dunno.gif

Let's see
yard needs mowed
garage needs cleaned
cubs need tuneup , blades sharpened , engines rebuilt , painted , new deck wheels ...
trucks need washed/waxed/oil change

yea youz guys come on down
bouncy.gif

Kraig:
Notice that the user name doesn't change....
"Gerry" is what most people know me as, it's a contraction of my middle name... What I've been doing is tracking how long before Google catches up with me and if they ever forget...this may be a long term project.<font size="-2"> annnnd btw, I'm 63 going on 16</font>

Kentuck...most Mboards have at least two IDE connections - just run a cable outa the case.

Kendell, Kendall, K.G., Gerry, how about just "Hey you!"?
dunno.gif

Hey y'all
I have a question about an old 100 i just picked up from a friend. The tractor had sat for years in a garage, and is in remarkable shape both mechanically, running and visually. However the tractor has loud transmission whinning backlash, although it shifts and runs at the proper speed. Is there any way to quiet this? Its not harmful, it just gets real annoying after a while. Thanks

Tim - I'd venture a guess that the whin will clear up with use. I'd bet it's dry bearings from sitting so long. The bearings/gears/shafts above the oil level would have gotten dry, maybe rusty too from condensation.

Pop the trans/shifter cover off and look it over , maybe pour some oil on the parts.

Friend of mine had a Suzuki GS1000E ... the main bearings were 5 roller, 1 ball. He had been told to drain the crankcase in the winter, which is where the rust on the bearings came into the picture. Bike ran for at least another 15 years AFAIK it may still be running, but it gained the unfortunate nickname of "Old Whistler" - you could hear 'em from 1/2 block away... I've never purposely left that type of bearing dry....

Mr Ide:
I'm known as Gerry...a contraction of my middle name...which is........Geriatric?
jawdrop.gif
rofl.gif

<font size="-2">(PS, I'm going on 65, sometimes think 16)</font>

Could be, could be,I can't remember. To add to it, the family always pronounced it with a "hard G", as in "Gary"..<font size="-2">( Charlie's gonna whack this for OT.sorry Charlie, it's just a test, I didn't ask for it to be a topic, that's Kentuck's fault.
clappy.gif
)</font>

I finally was able to use my 129 after my engine rebuild. All new insides. It really sounds different and more power. Thanks for all of the help.
Earl LaMott

Earl - If we (as a collective) helped you in any way it must have been an oversight on our part.
biggrin.gif

Glad ya got it fired up and proving to all the neighborhood what an old <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Cub Cadet can do
thumbsup.gif

Binder books update…

Since I posted questions – I see it as only fair to post my own answers to them
happy.gif
I received my order from Binder books today. Extremely, (extremely!) well done product on their part. If I didn’t know, I’d think the manuals were the real deal – aside from the “covers” (which would be heavier stock normally) are printed on the same weight paper the pages are on. Otherwise, bravo! The gentleman I worked with provided *outstanding* customer service. The materials arrived BEFORE they should have and were exceedingly well packaged. I can’t say enough about how well the product is put together.

They are so nice and easy to read I see these as staying OUT of the garage! I’ll go ahead and find the PDFs suggested by others and print pages as required when performing service, but these will be an invaluable reference. All printing is *very* crisp and easy to read. Drawings are 100%. Most pictures actually look better than those in the one OEM IH manual I’ve seen, although there are a few hard to see. I recall some of the IH pictures being difficult to make out as well – so I would assume that this is where it comes from.

One whole, I highly recommend them! I would echo others suggestions on getting the electronic versions, but I’m also obsessive compulsive. I’ve seen one or two, which look to be real manuals scanned into PDF format on a flat bed scanner. Therefore, (and not knocking whoever did the service to the community scanning all those pages in!) many are slightly off in orientation, some of the pics are harder to make out. They will make a *fine* tool as well, on a PC, where individual pages can be printed, zoomed, searched for txt – but for simply sitting at the table reading over, I’m glad to have these printed ones as well – vs. a stack of pages I pumped out one the home printer, looking like I photocopied it all at the library ;)

Binder books - Highly recommended, thumbs up!

-Calvin

I got the 1250 running and it seems to be a good engine with no smoke at all. This is the first time I've seen it run. The PO was honest with me for a change. It does have a slight knock and I was wondering if you can have piston slap without smoke. It just isn't a valve tick sound to me. The dipstick is down by the points so I might decide to go in for a gearectomy. I plan to investigate and if it has grenade gears they're coming out. The oil was nasty and this tells me it probably didn't get regular servicing and those needle bearings (so I've read) seem to be fairly sensitive. If there is a quick way to tell other than the serial number feel free to chime in. It's always fun to discover you need to pull the engine once you have it in and running.

Good evening to all....Wayne

Wayne, had a 12 horse that had developed a knock and upon looking into it I discovered a bad front bearing,what had me puzzled when it started was I had overhauled the motor the summer before,my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back