• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 29, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calvin:
Good info - there's gotta be a reason they've been a forum sponsor for so long!!

Wayne:
You've probably read it before, but a common source of the knock is the PTO clutch rattlin'. And yes, you can get piston slap without smoke - ask any old small block chevy racers
clappy.gif
( but slap with loose fit racing pistons is one thing, slap with production pistons means it's time to look inside, " There's some 'splaining to do, Lucy...."

Kraig-
You know me, I'm always up for a road-trip, but aren't there big snakes down Ken's way? If so, I'm out...

Gerry-
Forget what Google thinks of ya......I can't keep up!

Allen-
I heard he's known as Mr. Atric to the locals in his area.
pop.gif

Kraig-
I rest my case......

<font size="-2">..and I came up with an "excuse" for us not to have to visit Ken!</font>
189421.gif

I have a 122 that I am going to work on as soon as I get parts from CC Specialties. I have been waiting for over one month for parts.

Art, the largest snake I've seen in the wild was a Timber Rattler not that far south of your property, along the Kinnikinic just upstream from the St. Croix. It was close to 5' long. Here's three photos I snapped of it before I got nervous and looked around and spotted several others sunning themselves, I quickly and carefully left the area.
icon_eek.gif

189423.jpg

189424.jpg

189425.jpg

To quote the young un's: "OMG!" KENtuckyKen, I like your tag line. Does that mean I'm now a published author?

Calvin L - Thanks for the testimonial on the Binder Books product quality. They may be getting a phone call from MN soon.

Kendell/Gerry/Mr. Ide,

Thank you very much for the clear instructions on using a VOM to set my Kohler's static timing.

Have a GREAT day!
bubbly.gif

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

I recently lent my 782 and tiller to my nephew. He discovered that it needed some work (that I've been putting off!). The holes in the tine mounting assembly were pretty "wallowed out" and the tines pretty dull. Nephew sharpened all the tines and swapped the tine assemblies from side to side so the previously unused holes could now be used. He used Grade 8 bolts to mount the assemblies onto the main shaft. Unfortunately, he also mounted the tine assemblies backwards! No wonder I couldn't get it to sink in when I ran it across my garden Sunday night. Tonight I turned them around and it tills better than it ever has since I've owned it.

My question: The Parts Lookup shows the tine assemblies are to be connected with shear pins instead of the grade 8 bolts. I know the shear pins are designed to be the weak link, in case I hit a big rock or root, etc., but my mule drive has a spring tensioner on one pulley - shouldn't that allow the belt to slip until I stop the PTO if I hit something? Or should I put shear pins back in?

For the engine rattle in the below post...a 1250 should have the electric pto on it, so the common mechanical pto rattle thats in an earlier model could be eliminated. I also have a fairly fresh K301 in my 123 with piston slap that does not smoke...
bash.gif
it too runs like a champ but has that teeth grinding rattle!

Greg I believe when you running the tiller the mule drive should have two fixed position tensioners, I recently posted a pic of how I made mine into a fixed or spring tension pully

Greg there is a pic under my name in the april 24th post of how I made my mule drive into a fixed or spring loaded pully. this way it can be used for tiller or mower

Ryan M;
Right you are on the 1250 PTO..
Knocks?? On speed up, slow down no load - look at rod...Steady speed,under heavy load? - main bearing.....Hot?-may be preignition..... Idle speed?-possible loose flywheel....idling, shaking tractor?-look for loose tin/loose mounting bolts...(I'll let the true believers bring up balance gears
clappy.gif
)

Ryan W:
May be up for a test n' tune soon.... been nagging the owner/driver 'bout popping the silk (he's never done it)- could be a fun night!!!

Old Man - I was wondering a while back if he still had that sling shot.

Published Author - You know me ... I had a homebuilt rear tiller on my homemade tractor. It was made from an Ariens rear tine that I converted to 3-pt and widened it to 36". I was doing night duty one night in the garden since I was rolling hay during the day. On one of my return passes I spied something funny looking in the dirt. Sad to say that was the last time I used that tiller 'cause they just till in circles with one side broke off ... *#*@!!&%^$@@# Rock !
Shear bolts somewhere would have been good that night.
You ever see how loose a V-belt will run and still grip ? I wouldn't chance it.

Art - It wuz a black snake you wuss
jawdrop.gif

Kraig - Walk softly and wear snake boots.

coffee.gif
beerchug.gif

I picked up a 1961 CCO with a deck, danco blower,fenders,rear wheel spacers, 3(total) sets of tires and chains for $300. The engine might have a cracked block but does have an oil bath air cleaner. The po said it would run, get hot and quit. So that is still TBD. also the the deck is rusted through in a few spots, whats the easiest way to fix that without screwing it all up? Since this is a '61, its has the locking collar on the left spindle but not the right. Can I buy one for the other side? sorry for all the questions
uhoh.gif

Ken, Kraig, "Gerry"-

I know we're risking getting poofed cause IH never made snakes but I have a six+ foot black snake out behind the barn. It's the biggest I've ever seen and I've seen a lot. I will eventually catch him to measure and photo.

Sorry Charlie....Hope you're feeling better. I hate to see people giving you so much crap not knowing of you and your wifes situation.

Hello all!

New to this forum so let me give you a very brief intro. 46 yrs old and my wife and I broke ground on our new dream house on 3 acres of former farmland. We know we need something that can mow 2 acres of grass, snowblow a 200 ft asphalt drive duriing our Wisconsin winters, and occasionally cut down less than an acre of field grass. Since my dad worked for IH for 30 yrs at the East Moline and Waukesha plants, I thought a cub cadet would be a nice fit. I'm hoping for advice on the size/style of tractor that can meet our needs. Nothing too big; I work third shift so my wife needs to be able to use it to clear snow before she leaves for work. Any advice is appreciated and much-needed. Thanks!!

Allen

Allen S, First off-WELCOME!
wave.gif
I see you dont live just too far away from me. I live near Fond du lac, Wi. Many Cub Cadets could fit your needs but it soounds like an 82 series tractor(582,682,782,982) might work best. You can put a 50 inch deck under them and there are 2-stage snowblowers too. 982s are the rarest of the 82 series but they have a 19hp Onan engine under the hood. Other members will give you some suggestions as well. Once again, welcome!

Latest posts

Back