• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through April 16, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwittman

displayname
Brian Wittman
Norm,

My 1250 Nightmare has its original paint and decals on it. I have a later version (1250 serial #597245 and after and 1450 and 1650 serial #590522 and after)with automatic check valves. The decal on the right side of the tunnel cover has the DO NOT TOW warning. The Check Valve release decal is for older hydros with a manual valve release lever. I believe that the pictures that Kraig posted of that nice 1450 are correct for the later model with automatic valves and the "release" decal isn't used.

On your decal set, if you have one, did you get the decal that is just below the tunnel cover on the right side that contains the patents? I didn't see that one included on the set from Maple-Hunter.

Terry,
So your saying the float may not be my issue with the gas spitting out the bottom hole on the carb for the K241?
angry.gif
Are you frick'n kidding me?

Mike P and Terry D - HOLD your horses there before you get to far down the road. I think the best way to describe the Kohler floats is that the old ones didn't have any tabs, and the newer floats have 2 tabs (this did come up on here just a month or so ago). I think Terry confused Mike when he said his didn't have any. I suspect Mike's float was a 2 tab version with one tab missing, and it was twisting/jamming or at least not working correctly. I still think it's the reason gas is sputtering out the air cleaner side of the carb. I think the new float will be a 2 tab version and Mike, you'll have to adjust the tabs so the float sits correctly while viewing it upside down and when you flip it right side up. It's pictured in the Kohler manual, and if you ordered a Kohler float it will likely come with instructions showing both these adjustments. (The old float were alot easier).

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - sorry to make it so hard for you're guessing that tractor under the loader. You're pretty close tho. I have not seen it in person but expect to in the next month or so. The tractor is supposed to be a 71 frame with 71 dash and fenders, and a 1x5 grill casting and hydro hood (even tho it's a gear drive rear with Creeper). The engine is a 10hp, maybe from an 1x8/9 series but need more verification. And the loader itself is apparently a Quick-Way. Son says it's a nice set up. The front wheels have been modified, some type of split ring setup with big bearings, and hubcap covers.

Mike - definitely not saying that! Other guys on here know FAR more than me so their advice is much better than mine will ever hope to be. Just merely making an observation after buying several replacements. Not certain but seems to me that the floats were a topic on here not too long ago. Sorry to alarm you.

Guys - here's a pic of what I was referring to. New on right, old on left.

257250.jpg

So just curious, would me cleaning the carb thoroughly make it that my old float not work correctly? Why didn't the old style have two tabs? How did they set it correctly from the top and bottom position to regulate the amount of fuel flowing into carb?
Wow! This stuff is confusing! Dog on Engines!

facepalm.gif

257253.jpg

This is the only picture I have of the old style or current float on my K241, you can sort of see there isn't a tab on the back side of the float. Its flush between the pin holders.

Mike - not sure how well it shows in the pic but the old tab actually does have a tab between the posts that the float pin slides through. That tab regulates gas entering the carb. The new one has that tab plus another running across the two posts. The "extra" tab on the new one is for adjusting the float level. Not certain how the adjustment worked on the old ones - I'm certain someone here can address that.

Mike - your float should have a small tab that strikes the float valve seated in the carb body. Slip the pin out, flip the float over and see if there's a tab.

Terry,
Yes, there is one there that hits the fload pin, that is the one that I need to adjust accordingly to have the float sitting paralel with the body of the carb once I flip it upside down, then according to the manual, it is to be adjusted (once I get the new one I guess) to 1-1/32" if its hanging down (as if in the bowl of the carb)from the body to the bottom of the float. According to the Kohler manual on page 6.9 fig 6-14.

Mike - that is all correct! Just get the new one, get er all adjusted per the manual, cross your fingers, hit the switch and with a little luck you're good to go! Let us know how it turns out.

Here is a picture of the butcher job on the gas line on the 70. They must of put a tall battery in it also, it has a piece of plywood bolted to the underside of the hood over were the battery sat. Does it have the correct gas tank?
257256.jpg

Ed, Hmmm, Rube Goldberg comes to mind.
icon_eek.gif
I guess that union fitting makes it easy to remove the sediment bowl for cleaning and servicing.
icon_rolleyes.gif

MIke, Keep up posted, OK? I have the same problem, just cropped up today on a 1250 I'm working on. Rebuilt the carb, new kit, it starts and runs OK but after a few minutes it will start dripping gas out of the bottom of the carb.

Dave S.

Edward - have you tried starting it? Not Harry's 100 pointer but close! Tank looks correct.

Hot Rod Lincoln,
What comes to mind for me is the episode of The Three Stooges when they are plumpers and the pipe themselve in. I love seeing P.O.'s "fixes". WTH were they thinging.

Terry: I haven't tried to start it yet, I used jumper cables on the starter, it seems to work good. I think I'll pull the head off to see what the blue paint was all about. Maybe it was overhauled? I also took the shift cover off the transmission and I didn't see any sign of water/rusty oil.
The throttle cable is ran to the top of the governor arm, small wonder it doesn't have a broken rod. The gas tank is bare metal inside. The pink paint is latex.

Tom: They must have run out of pipe fittings. They also butchered the dash to remove the choke cable.

Brian W.,

Thanks, that's what I figured. Got mine from Maple-Hunter also and it did not include the patent decal. It doesn't include any Kohler decals either.

Mike and Terry, and others - Ok Guys - my info on the carb float tab was not correct. I actually confused myself. Following is Jeremiah C's post back on Feb. 25 at 9:59PM and one of his pics showing the old and new style floats:

(Credit the following to Jeremiah):
Donald Tanner: Larry Carter may be on to something. I was having trouble with flooding on the #30 carb on my 149. I discovered in the Service Manual that there are actually two tabs on a Kohler/Carter float that need to be adjusted. The larger tab keeps the float from tipping up too far allowing the fuel level to rise so high that it overwhelms the mixing tubes resulting in rough idle and a rich high speed mixture. The second tang keeps the float from dipping down too far. The reason for keeping the float from dropping down too far into the bowl I suspect is because the float can get hung up on the bottom of the bowl which keeps the needle valve from seating. The carb is effectively flooding the engine because the gas never stops entering the bowl: these were the symptoms I encountered, and it sounds like the symptoms you're having.

My float was missing the second tang, when I replaced my float, the problem went away. The design of the float has been modified slightly over time. I took pictures of the old and new floats.
257262.jpg

(End Credit to Jeremiah)

As you can see in the pic the old style has one tab which is horizontal. The new style has an extra vertical tab.

I think I got confused since I don't recall ever having used the new style, and the Service manual refers to it, and so do instructions that sometimes come with the gasket kits. I do think Jeremiah originally thought one of the 2 tabs had broken off his float and that was causing his problem, when more likely his float was bad (leaking) which was really causing his problem. The string at that time may have arrived at that conclusion. In any event, I suspect Mike has a bad float.

I also suspect David S does have a float setting or operation problem BUT I would suggest that David start with replacing the needle and seat (and gaskets) to begin with and check the float setting. The original one tab floats have worked fine for years in these units and will continue to as far as I'm concerned, as long as the float ain't leaky. David could go thru the process of trying to test his float, or at least shake it around and listen for any sloshing. I never had much luck trying to test one, just easier, quicker to replace it and know the it's good (or at least hope a new one is good).

Now, I have to add one more thing - what is the correct needle and seat kit for the #26 and #30 carbs?????? I've heard from others the kits that end in 01-S and 02-S are interchangable and work in both carbs. I've also heard the 01-S has to be used in the #26 and can be used in the #30. They do have a "slightly" different seat. For me I've only ever used an 01-S in a #26 and an 02-S in a #30. I believe that's what the parts listing shows more often than not.
So David, I don't know which carb you have on your 1250 but recommend the needle and seat kit ending in 01-S for a #26 and ending in 02-S for a #30 carb.

Hey HotRod - boy you really got yourself into a real restoration this time. I don't think I'd be trying to start that engine until you have had a look see inside, and until you know what you're putting into it - all the way from the tank thru the carb. No sense making anything worse than it is. I just gotta get down your way to see your stuff. Maybe I could even learn something - since it's been awhile for me.

Latest posts

Back