• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 13, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie may need to revise his slogan. I picked this 70 up this morning, the engine is a 161, it's not stuck and none of the tires were flat. The guy wanted half a gallon of Black Velvet for it.
257174.jpg

257175.jpg

Ed L.
OHHHH, I've seen and have worse!
We do NEED a closeup of that pipe job from the fuel tank to the carb though!
Now that's funny!
biggrin.gif

I'd like to see that animal that took the hunk out of the dash pedestal too, LOL

I've got to head out and blow some snow.
Seems there's a 4 ft. drift at the end of the drive and the Fed-Ex truck comes at 7:00 A.M., so I better go bust a path through it.
Man I hate Minnesota!!!!!!!!

I had good intentions, LOL
Man that was some wet heavy stuff!
I tried the 1450 with a blade, no go.
149 with the thrower, still no go.
So I ended up with the 240A and fixed the problem, LOL
257180.jpg

257181.jpg

Edward - with all that extra plumbing are you sure the guy wasn't brewing his own Black Velvet? You might have made off with his still?

EDWARD - Actually, that #70 looks in a LOT better shape than the one I'm working on right now. Mine had fell victim to a cordless drill attack several times, and came up on the loosing end of a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel on the grill casting. It won't be a 100 point restoration, but it will be a great reliable worker #100 with a better than new paint job.

Too bad a prior owner went after the frame of that tractor around the gear shift lever with a cut-off wheel in a grinder. Would be an easy weld repair. Someone took a short-cut to remove the shift lever for some reason.

BILL R. - I have run a tiller a little on a 129, but wasn't tilling sod. Just stirring up a little dirt "Cultivating" some sweet corn & potatoes. I ran just a bit over half throttle.

Speaking as an old Midwestern Farm Boy, I hope the ground wasn't too wet. In our old clay hills it was always best to fall plow for good working ground the following spring if you wanted to risk the erosion. But working ground too early was a BIG No-No. Some of those clay hillsides would turn over as clods that would NEVER break up till the following winter when they'd freeze & thaw again. They were like brick bats, couldn't break them up with a hammer!

Funny but true story, the last year Dad farmed I started fall plowing in August, before school started. And kept plowing as fields were available from combining & corn picking. I finally got done around first of Dec. about the time frost was going in the ground. Was fun plowing under 1-2 inches of frost the first couple rounds. Then as the day warmed up the greasy surface made traction disappear! Anyhow, following spring the fields all worked up like a kid's sand box. One pass with the disk harrow and the ground was smooth & mellow, ready to plant. I was disking 20 acres ahead of Dad and the planter and the first round he made with the planter took about two hours, not the normal 15-20 minutes. The ground was so soft he was planting the corn seeds about SIX inches deep at first. He had to stop every 10-20 ft to adjust the planter press wheels that controlled planting depth. The old runner type green corn planters were never great at controlling planting depth or seed spacing & population.

Chris R., nice job!
greenthumb.gif

Reggie, interesting idea with the spring down force. Please let us know how it works.

Edward, I'll second Charlies request for a close up photo of the fuel line plumbing.

I got the 982 all back together and it's running fine. Thanks for all the great advice on the front PTO rebuild.
One more question. The clutch pedal always has had this "gap" (see picture). Is there supposed to be a spring to keep it up against the "stop"?
257187.jpg

Reggie,

That should work great, exactly how they do it with corn planters....

Bill R.

Tiller RPM is based on job at hand.

I'll second Denny's comments......if it was so wet you got stuck with a tiller tractor, then you shouldn't be working the ground. "Work it wet, fight it all year" is a common farmer's saying and Denny is 100% correct, the clods will not break up until next winter.

Is you tow rope looped around the seat spring?

Latest posts

Back