• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 12, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Keith, glad to have you. I'm the tall (6'3") skinny (170lb) guy usually running around with an orange Panther Pulling shirt and a Canon T2i around my neck. I used to be the flag man, but I took on more responsibility this year. The stress was starting to wear in my Dad. And I don't mind disqualifying people and holding my own rules.

Had another great pull yesterday. (29th) We had about 25 tractors show up. Perfect weather too. I was really a happy guy all day. Our pullers seem to be really enjoying our format too.

I posted pictures on my website: www.PantherPulling.com

Any of the links will get you to the album. Look for the 2013 VFW Benefit Pull.

Can't wait for July. It will be a night pull. Usually my biggest of the year! I'll try to post some teaser pictures here too, when I'm not posting from my iPhone.

HI GUYS, NEW TO THIS SITE AND FIRST POST. I AM LOOKING TO INSTALL A 2 CYLINER KUBOTA DIESEL INTO MY IH CUB 147. LOOKING TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS DONE THIS OR SOMETHING SIMALAR. ANY AVISE OR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME. I THOUGHT I POSTED THIS QUESTION BUT CANNOT FIND IT IF I DID. THANKS TRO ALL IN ADVANCE - PETE

Charlie: There's something wrong with that idea? (Or should I show my ignorance in wondering why not?)
1a_scratchhead.gif

Frank C.
Go ahead and ask the question to the puller guys on how many hydrostatic pulling tractors are out there, and the one's that are, how well they do in a real competition, LOL

Charlie, I agree that hydro's are NOT pullers...and I apologize if I'm over stepping my boundaries again.

But, this is the pulling and HOT RODDING forum. It even says clearly "diesels welcome". So he may not be building a puller, but a hot rod deisel 147. So by description he can post here. I'm sure the Better Than New forum would be fine too.

Pete, Welcome!!

I wish I had more experience, but you might be close to on your own on this one. I've been trolling around here for a few years and haven't read about it yet. Feel free to use the search button above to see if there is anything. I have heard that some diesels turn the opposite direction of the gas Kohlers, so you may need to turn it around backwards.

Secondly, I hope your a good fabricator. Cause putting a diesel in there is any but a bolt in deal. It was hard enough to fit one in an 82 series. Is your planned diesel air or water cooled? Fitting a radiator in the will be tough.

Actually the 147 frame is a good place to start with as far as narrow frames go. The frame is already made with extra clearance for the larger flywheels that came on the newer model 14 horse kohlers. It is pretty easy to install a gear drive set up in place of the hydro unit, and I think it will have a little longer wheelbase as well. I'd say go for it!!
lazerburn.gif

Hi nick how is it going. Small world isn't it. I just joined to learn some info on cubs. Austin & I are going to build a 106 for next season. We cant decide on motor size. Thinking of using a 12hp but was wondering what motor has the most potential to build. any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Steve! Good to hear from ya. Not too small, cause odds are, if your going to build and maintain any IH built cub cadet, odds are you come across this site.
happy.gif

Building a cub is a great idea for ease of working and parts availability.

As for your engine combo, it depends on your purpose. If your going to pull with Panther Pulling only, a 12hp will limit you alot. Because anything over 8hp will push you into the 16hp classes. Then your underpowered before you even start building.

If you plan to run over clubs like Montgomery Co pullers. A 12hp block is all they allow for the typical Stock altered class. (Bob painter has a 12hp in his 108, but good luck getting any info from him. And even some of the big 16hps can't out torque him. And he's rev limited to 3980rpm!!)

Anyways, a 106 is a narrow frame and you can't easily fit a 16 in it. So if you want a big 16, your better off starting with a wide frame like a 108 or 128... Or any of the gear drive quiet line series like the 1200 Tyler uses.

Do it's up to you.... It's worth mentioning that the Pulling forum on this site is very slow moving. While the main forum rolls over almost everyday. This IS the #1 cub site period. So use the search button to look for anything you really need. And the sponsors above have ANYTHING you needs to fix a cub. Except the custom puller stuff that Midwest Supercub or Vogel has.

Oh, forgot to mention. It's my opinion that the 14hp engine has the greatest potential for a power vs. cost option. Building a 16 gets real pricey real quick if you are planning to use things like a custom cam, steel flywheel, and custom head. Which by the way are the 3 things that are going to you power along with timing adjustment, rpm range, and fuel octane to ward off detonation. (Remember running race gas or anything above 93 octane in a stock motor is a waste of money and actually hurts power.)

Building a 14 let's you build the biggest motor while using the cheaper, more widely used parts. (Cause everyone builds a 12-14, consider it the Chevy 350 of kohlers)

Personally, I like they 8hp. I get to pull more, plus I have to be creative to make power. That's why the talk about the billet 8hp flywheel at the pulls. I'm building an 8hp puller very very slowly, but my goal is to run down those 16s. And show them the little engine can do it.

Thanks for the info Nic. We will definitely consider a 14hp. We have a pretty strong 8hp if you remember we took 5th or 6th in the 16hp class last season with a W.H. I think it would do much better with the right drive train.

Also... Maybe someone else can double check me... But a 14 won't drop right in a 106 either. The frame needs to be widened on 1 side. Don't let that stop you from using a 12/14 in a 106 though. I know your plenty capable of making room.

That's exactly what Cub Cadet did for the 147.

Yeah Nic im sure we could get it done but you sure got us thinking about using our 8hp. We have got some time in building that motor. Besides its always fun to have a little friendly competition & im with ya on beat'n up on some 16hp. See you at the fair.

I took these photos many years ago at a Plow Day. I believe these belong(ed) to Joe Persoon. In any case a Kubota in a narrow frame Cub Cadet can be done.

260376.jpg

260377.jpg

260378.jpg

Funny! Great looking 82 series MF. I actually have a complete MF12 for sale right now if anyone wants some style like that.

On topic, working on my cub puller. Open the donor rear end and got gear oil on my shoe. 6 times through the washing machine, covered in fast orange and freebeze. It still smells like gear oil.... I hate it.

Ok I have sort of a newbie question...... We have pulled in the stock 12 hp class for a couple years now. We had the chance to buy a 25hp V twin so we did.....My question is this PO pulled this tractor for 4 years or so, but I found out the rear end is not locked (welded). We welded the single, just wondering what y'all think. Haven't pulled with it yet so I don't know how it does not welded.

That is Kyle Miller..he was pulling a older wide frame last, He showed up at the Keota pull with this little jem.. he surprised a lot of us when he rolled it out of he trailer we had no idea he was putting this together..its a wide frame with Massy sheet metal has a Kawasaki single.it runs as good as it looks..
Shift.gif

Back