• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through April 11, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I know how I can look at my watch several times and still not know what time it is.

Harry B - I believe the date is wrong on that pic. Not sure an incorrect date would prevent a 100 point restoration...
1a_scratchhead.gif

OK - I'm at the point with the 1650 that from here to completion, I'm looking at a box of parts vs a tractor I took apart piece by piece, so to the extent I can read the parts diagrams above and apply a little common sense, I'm going to make a final push to get this thing going.

One question I have though, is there any reason to install the front grill and hood assy before starting the tractor and taking it for a test drive? I'm thinking it might be handy to leave that stuff off until I've got the tractor going like a sewing machine.

Bill: Leave 'em off. (It's also kinda cool to ride around that way. Hoping to do it myself, soon, with the 169).
happy.gif
happy.gif

Bill-

If you do that don't forget to secure the engine/starter-generator ground wire to the frame.

Wayne, Bill wont have that wire with the QL 1650, but Frank will need to hook that wire up.

It will either be from the front starter mount bolt to the frame/lower grill bolt or from one of the engine tin bolts next to the V/R to the right side 1/4" lower firewall mount bolt.

The later built Q/L's w/the hole and grommet in the F/W for the wire harness wiill probably have the ground to the 1/4" bolt as mentioned.

The difference is the size of the terminals on the ground wire, one w/3/8" and the other w/1/4" terminals. I think the ones with the ground coming from the starter also have a larger gage wire. At least that is what I have observed in the Q/L's that I have.

Dave S>

Does anybody have any experiences with the aftermarket #30 Carburators that are available?
Good / Bad?
$60 is hard to pass up even if I have to do some work to it.

Thanks Jeff...I thought about that a few minutes after I posted. Brain fartin' again!

Frank C.
No, that's an aftermarket price.
The carbs he's talking about are not marked in any way.
I've heard good and bad on my end.
They have not been on the market that long.
I tried one about 5 months ago and it leaked in 3 places. So I my supplier send me another one and it didn't leak, but getting the adjustment to stay was a PITA!
Supposedly, they are re-machining the new batch to hit the west coast with issues resolved.
Personally, I'd wait till June before buying one and then make sure it's from the improved version.
My 3 cents on the deal.

Is June when CC Specialties starts carrying them?
yikes.gif

Thanks for the Feedback. I've read a few posts of guys having to do some extra work to get them right.
Also, I'm unsure if all the replacement pieces are a direct fit. Hmmmmmm.

I kinda doubt it.
Selling something new that needs work right of the box is kinda counter productive IMHO.
Time will tell.

Looking for a opinion, God knows there is plenty of them here!!
What is pro's/con's of running a "Zerked" narrow front rim (like a Original) with a bearing and not a bushing? I'm looking at the Hot Rod and I'm thinging more lubrication is better than less. Whatcha' all think???

Tom: I'll bite. OK, BUT - keep the zerk fitting on the inside of the wheel.
happy.gif

I thought the Original front rims had the grease fitting on the outside? I have a set of these rims on my IH #2 cart, nice to have those rims!

Harry B,

Dang, you gave away my secret! You weren't supposed to give the date stamp clue out!
biggrin.gif

Bill & Keith,

Harry is right, I did a restore on this 128 back in 09'. I did the "100 point" restore on it and put everything back exactly like it was except for one thing: the 12 hp decal on the engine. Well, maybee three if you count the AG tires and exhaust extension. I took every piece apart except for the engine block, sanded, primed, and painted with CASE/IH IRONGARD paint. It still looks nice today. I guess I'll have to take some recent closeup pics.
As for the cleanliness, plowing snow will really clean up those tires! If you don't have any snow like Charlie, just use some wheel cleaner.
Here is an under the hood pic of the 128 (notice the date stamp!):
P.S. Since this photo I have added original factory (IH) head lights and a spring assist to the hitch.

257041.jpg

I have brought my original out of mothballs (LOL). I have found that the throttle cable is no more good. Can I still find a replacement or has Cub Cadet made that a NLA? If they have, is there a modification that can be done to fix the problem?
bash.gif

Easy on the eyes Marty! I would like to say your 128 is one to look up to. Very nice!

I'm refurbishing a 73 that has a "BE CAREFUL" decal next to the shift lever that says "Be sure operating controls are in neutral before starting engine". None of my other cubs had this and so far I haven't seen a replacement decal for sale anywhere...wondering if others are familiar with it?

Latest posts

Back