Archive through April 03, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboelens

displayname
John Boelens
Now Mr Baker - That's not fair - this load had nothing to do with work! Now the 1450 on the other hand..
err.gif
Saturday's event for the three actually came about looking for a set of fenders for my Farmall 560 - he says he has farmall 560s - and fenders- but not for sale. but he had cubs!

well John...your still a lucky dog

you should have plenty of cubs for your event this year...

just ran into a speedbump on the oldest's 72 - almost tor down for sandblast this weekend but the internal brake wasn't working - bolt was bent. broke bolt off in cast arm. replaced cast arm, now snapped the cast arm and still no brakes. about to throw another 72 rearend in it.

jeff, don't forget may 17th for the garden tractor jamboree. btw, went right by ridott today!

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - I won't say "clearly the NF wheel is better". What I should have said is my 169 is equiped with pre-production front wheels.

Kirk L - learn by accident? Geez, have a look at FAQ no. 23.

I have both NF and WF front wheels on my 126.

NF front wheel:

285193.jpg

285194.jpg

285195.jpg

WF front wheel (from 109)

285196.jpg

285197.jpg

285198.jpg

In case you are wondering/thinking/noticing what appears to be a screw driver holding the spindle and steering arm thingy together, it is really a high tech mod the P.O. made to the tractor. It's a pitot tube and measures air speed (displayed on the dash air speed indicator or via floppy toupee on operators big head) .....
thumbsup_old.gif

285199.jpg

John, you just stay away from Ridott thats my cub zone, lol
I can see 20 so you went right by my place.

HARRY - You keep mentioning all these "pre-production parts & pieces" on your 169. You have NO idea how badly IH tried to avoid that.

What makes you think IH LVL put rare "not quite ready for Prime-Time Production" parts on a tractor and then crated it up and shipped it off to some dealer to sell? Don't you think the engineering dept would have kept the tractor around for a while?

I went thru a LOT of engineering changes at FARMALL, most cases the change was promoted by Hinsdale, they'd already prototyped and approved the changes, did the engineering work, and by the time the new different parts, whatever they were, came in, the change was made across the board as soon as old stock was used up. We made some pretty extensive changes to the 86-series tractors in 1981 and never did pilot runs, which was the next step after the prototypes, on a single thing.

Bill QQ - are you telling me I'm wrong??? You're using a WF front wheel on a NF tractor??? It was my recollection the valve stem somehow interfers. Is it only on one side. It's been so dang long since I remember trying. I know there was some issue.

Dennis - you didn't fall into my trap did you? When I say "pre-production" I'm just saying my 169 includes items that were made "before" (i.e. pre-production) the tractor was produced. It's not something rare or special production by IH, and it's not something specially done by IH for a special dealer - but I admit it may have been my intention to have some lerking readers believe it may be. I've also said my 169 has several "post-production" parts, but that's more easily understood.

With regard to your comment about IH making great effort to use up all the old stock parts before switching to new design, I have a question. Couldn't old stock production parts be put into service parts? Or can you explain a little how IH could support having parts available for pre and post design changes?

Don't mean to change the pre-production parts saga, but I'm looking for some after production tall seat bumpers. I've been searching for 30 min. and can't find out where to get these bumpers. Can someone tell me where to get some.

Keith O:

I bought mine at Mac's Hardware in Fargo, North Dakota. They were pretty cheap. They really helped my back, as I like to sit more upright in a seat.

I'll see if I can get you a part number.

HARRY - To be honest, sounds like your 169 was a basket case made up of whatever brand & style of parts that could be made to work. Your calling them "Pre or Post Production Parts" gives the parts a validity they probably don't deserve.

Actually, IH took service parts REALLY seriously. The initial system fill of the new part to the parts depots was done before production was even started. IH Broadview, IL Parts Depot had their own purchasing dept, they ordered parts from the same suppliers as the plants did, but they also ordered from the using IH plant if value-added machining was done.

Yes, old excess or obsolete parts could be sent to the repair part depots, but they would NOT accept them early, they would mail out a 13 month schedule updated every month just like we would, and only accept what was due. Been my experience that companies today do a TERRIBLE job using up old inventory. The last place I worked was comical just in their ability to totally screw up old inventory usage repeatedly by ANY number of ways. But for as large as IH was, they really did a good job of using up all old stock so not much was destined to be put through the repair part route. Some of the parts I was responsible for had a healthy monthly service usage, some had none.

In the case of these CC frt wheels, best case scenario would have been to use up all old stock in production, then switch to new wheels, then supply the new wheels to parts as needed. It's doubtful the part number actually changed.

Harry B - the key to the WF front wheel fitting and working on my 126 is ensuring the valve stem is very short - don't ask me how I know....
whistling.gif

Dennis - yes my 169 was a basket case to start with, but everything I used to bring it back to life is OEM (IH and Kohler, well except the new Carlisle front tires but they are good copies). I even made sure I used all the correct IH bolts with the WP stamped in the heads (I believe WP is West Pattison, IL where IH had their hardware(?) production. The original production units did use some screws/bolts that didn't have the WP stamping and I even made sure I got the correct ones for these (they hold the center frame cover, and the little side panels one of which is where the hour meter is located, and the headlight panel and the hood hinge, and maybe a few I can't recall). I'm even such a diehard OEM IH fan that I used as much air as I could get from some original tires when I re-inflated mine - and that's a feat. I think you'd remember Jim Chabot, well he used to call me ole Eagle Eye.

HARRY - GESH! WEST PULLMAN, IL. Like the railroad car is called.

The embossed logo changed over the years. At first, WP put the IH logo on, but that kept them out of certain markets when they tried to compete with all the other screw & bolt mfg. co's, so they created the WP logo.

They supplied a LOT of hardware to IH plants, but they also had their share of problems. Boss told me one time the little 1/4" NC X 3/4" capscrews WP suppled for the dashes of the 86-series came in 10" x 12" x 12" cardboard boxes. And the bottom of EVERY box was held down with a 1" x 10" hex head capscrew which FARMALL didn't have a part number for or use, but the little 1/4" x 3/4" bolts were all weight counted into the boxes..... so that one BIG bolt we didn't need or use, cost us about 250 of the bolts we DID need. We eventually started getting the 1/4" x 3/4" from a different source in Rockford, IL.... "The City that makes SCREWS".

Almost 15 years after being bitten by the Bug, we have our Trailer Queen.

285221.jpg

285222.jpg

I read his Serial # as 85107 and his name is RUTH:

285223.jpg

285224.jpg

Frank C - QUICK!!!! GET OUT THERE!!!! You ain't gonna have that Really Sweet 100 with No.2 IH Cart, much longer if you don't get out there and engage the brake pedal lock.

Dennis - yes, West Pullman, sorry about that. Very interesting story about that 1"x10" hex head capscrew. I don't understand what you mean by held down when you said "the bottom of EVERY box was held down with a 1" x 10" hex head capscrew".
Ooh, and another thing - the company I'm with had a factory in Germany that we discovered was selling some of our components to other companies and service repair providers AND selling for less than their price to us. Took us awhile to figure out how our competitors could sell our own part for less than our own cost. And then it was hard to get them to stop - because to them it was just additional incremental business. Really makes you wonder how corporations can do this stuff.

HARRY - You had to hold the inner bottom flaps down or those small 1/4" bolts would get under them and eventually fall out of the box. Putting the small bolts in a plastic bag inside the box would have been better, but IH WP would have had to buy the plastic bags, and they already had thousands of the big bolts.

Packaging parts for safe & proper shipment from supplier to my company was a large part of my purchasing responsibility. At my last job, Boss called one afternoon. Said to STOP getting "stapled cardboard boxes immediately." Wanted water wetted paper tape. I did something the Boss wasn't used to, I REFUSED to make the change. I'd had no problems with broken boxes and didn't want to change. The ONLY reason the Boss wanted the paper tape and no staples was the small children and frail old ladies in the shop couldn't knock the boxes down to run them through the compactor. Over the next month or so I refused 3-4 more times. Then I get a phone call one afternoon from one of the girls in the stockroom begging me to change from staples to paper tape. So I make the calls and my suppliers make the change, but don't repackage any parts already boxed. I go out and hunt her up an hour later to let her know I'd made the change. She apologized... said her Boss was standing right next to her when she called me, actually wrote down what she was to say..... I'd been played!

Luckily, I never had any shipping damage and lost parts.

But weight counting is SOP for hardware and small part mfg's.

Frank C - hey one more thing I forgot to mention. Based on the surroundings in your pics it looks your spud planting will be delayed. Back on topic, your combination 100 and No. 2 look hardly used. Pretty hard to come by looking like that.

Dennis - "small children and frail old ladies". What kind of place were you working at?

Latest posts

Back