• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 02, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kirk, I believe the narrow rims are the same for either. The wide rims on a narrow frame are offset so the deeper side is facing outward. The wide frame wide rims are offset so that the deeper side faces inward. UNDER EDIT: After looking at more photos that I have it might even be that the wide rims for a wide frame are more centered with less pronounced offset.
dunno.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif

285143.jpg

^ ^ Narrow Frame ^ ^

285144.jpg

^ ^ Wide Frame ^ ^

Here's a comparison of a wide frame axle from a 149 and a narrow frame axle from a 125.

285151.jpg

285152.jpg

This last photo is of the 149 axle/wheel. Note the bent spindle made for a better view.
lol.gif

285153.jpg

Thanks, Kraig. Clearly, I'm going to need another set of wide frame rims. I'm storing an additional 129 for my brother (also name Kraig) that has the correct rims. It's been two years since he blew the motor and I'm guessing he won't miss the rims.
devil1.gif

I should pick up another set of narrow rims......

Kirk and Kraig - don't want this to get confusing but I think it's worth a little more discussion. 1st off, the "narrow tire" rims can be used on either NF or WF tractors.

Now, the wide tire (16x6.5x8) rims for a NF and WF tractor are the same EXCEPT for where the valve stem is located on the wheel.

Rims for the NF tractor have the valve stem on the wide offset side of the rim.

Rims for the WF tractor have the valve stem on the narrow offset side of the rim.

You can use either rim on a WF tractor but the wheel has to be installed with the valve stem towards the outside (see my profile for pic of my 169 with NF rims).

You cannot use a WF rim on a NF tractor since the wide offset does not allow the wheel to be fully installed on the spindle and you cannot have the valve stem towards the inside of the wheel since the cap on the spindle could keep the tire from fully rotating when turned by steering, or the tie rod link connection interferes (or it's something like this since I haven't actually attempted this again in 20+ years).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Soooo, clearly the Narrow Frame had the better wide front rims.

285155.jpg

Slant%20Tongue.gif

I learn more here by accident than elsewhere by design. Thanks, fellas.

Just wish I had more time to post.

Kirk

KRAIG - I have to agree with you. Granted the 3/4" spindles look small and weak on a NF, but WHO at IH LVL thought welding a 3/4", or even a 1" shaft 3-4 inches long to a piece of steel would make a "strong" spindle for a frt wheel on the WF's?

I thought it was kinda refreshing when IH had a chance to redesign the whole frt axle on a CC, mainly the SGT's, they went back to the bent "J" shaped spindles like the NF's had, only from 1" round bar.

hmmmm ok Kraig,
well give you that part as better but the rest,
shame.gif

Back