• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 20, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Steeve and Whaytt
I did a cv drive shaft mod to my 1512 and never looked back. It will never need it be replaced I think. It smooth's out the tractor so much that I don`t have the vibration issue that destroyed the original drive system. I want to do my 129 loader next.thank you all that steer me in the correct direction to find the cure for what I feel ailes my cubs ,

So I just inherited a 1973 cub cadet 149 from uncle who passed away, and couldn't be more happy to be a cub cadet owner!! It had sat for a couple years now, but he had the tractor and motor restored just before it sat. It would not start so I took the carb off and rebuilt it, drained the gas tank and cleaned it and now it runs perfect! Then hooked up the QA42 and when I started it the auger started moving. So the investigating began trying to adjust when I realized the wear button was ground down to nothing. The restore included paint on the pto which I am wondering if that caused problems or if it is just seized. The one throw out lever is not connected in the center to the thrust button anymore and the screw just spins, so should I remove the pto and rebuild or just try to put new wear button on and see if it works?

Christian,

Do you mean the button on the lever or the button trapped in the PTO is worn? Or both? I'm guessing the one on the lever. Since your going to need one anyways, it's worth a shot to try it replace it, adjust the linkage properly and see if that gets it working.

Most guys spend the extra money to get a replacement button made from brass because it will last forever. You can get one from the sponsors above, either CC Specialties or RF Houtz.

Speaking of sponsors,

And I apologize for if its not appropriate to ask, what happen to Cub Cadet Classics and Chris Westfall?

Christian-

I'd take the time and just go through that pto. It could be frozen from sitting two years too. If it is you're going to waste a wear button in short order. I'd be willing to bet the pressure plates could use resurfacing. The clutch plate is probably fine but a new one with a kit will give you many years of knowing where you stand.

I am planning on putting power steering on 1650. I have bottom mount from Extreme. I found pictures of mounting the bottom and write ups, but can't find any pictures of how you support the top. Does anyone have pictures/ write up how to get the top?

The wear button on the lever was completely worn, I already used a punch and removed it, was thinking I should just order rebuild kit and take care of it all while I have it removed, wondering if I shouldn't replace throw out levers as well since the one isn't lined up in center anymore, wondering if those are worn out as well. Appreciate the advice and glad to have this forum!!

Christian..if i remember correctly it takes an 1/8" allen wrench for your pto allen screws. There is a total of 6 set screws, 2 in each hole, just make sure you blow the the holes out with air to get dirt and debris out and you might have to spray them with pb blaster or equivilent to get them out. Hope this helps you.

Ron

Christian Staehly
I add a washer or two to the one side where the lever sits in the frame to get the button to line up.You will need std allen wrench for the pto screws and if you buy a set get the long style . I have a set and find the longer style is much better. soak the screw holes if it has been a long time since the PTO was apart.

HARRY - I'm not agreeing with you that a SGT is NOT comparable to a standard sized CC. That's as dumb an idea as starting a topic in the Sand Box for each model of IH CC. The longer frame lets the tractor handle the larger attachments better, wider taller tires frt & back make it ride smoother over rough ground, typically you get ALL the options, some that weren't even available on the smaller Cub Cadets like steering brakes, rear PTO, cat O 3-pt. I replaced a 129 with my 982, and the capabilities of the 982 are as would be expected, MUCH greater. And the little added length & width noramlly isn't a problem, except in some really tight areas in my yard, and in most of those, even the 129 was too big.

It was a choice people made... 682, 782, or 982. There's probably as many parts in common, maybe more between a 782 & 982 as there is a 169 & 1650.

JEFF B. - MONEY was always the issue when buying CC's new. Back in '63, the new CC dad bought, basic tractor, 38" timed deck, no lights, fenders, etc. was around $550... JUST to mow the house yard and barn yard. Back then you could buy a nice Farmall M with a few M&W goodies like live hyd, maybe Char-Lynn P/S, for $1000, $1200 with newer tires. And actually FARM with it. So it was a major investement. In '65 think Dad paid $275 to $300 to trade up to the similarly equipped 70 & mower.

We had a discussion on RPM last week, list price on a brand new "loaded" 982 was $6199 in 1985, with NO attachments. For comparison, Sticker price on my brand new '87 F150 4X4 with most options except tilt/cruise, & A/C was around $12,000. Had the 300-6 & manual 4-spd, and all the shocks, springs, sway bars, and shiney chrome trim FMC could attach to it. Plus it had "Custom Tu-Tone paint".

So buying a 982 or ANY of the bigger CC's was a major purchase.

Christian
The button is never centereed on any I've been around. It just push's the release button on the PTO and as soon as it's released the pto quits spinning. Most of the wear in my opionion is when the buton rides against the pto button all the time, there should be a gap when the pto is engaged. I'd try to replace the button before you invest in rebuilding a pto that may be just fine.

Dennis F - what I never understood with the 982 (and I may be mistaken here) is why IH made a bigger tractor, but didn't offer an "IH" 60 or 72 inch deck. I gather Hayban did? But when you rifle through the brochure (again from what I recall) the biggest deck was 50 inch. Which were I buying with my wallet would make me ask the question - why buy a 982 if I can get a 50 inch deck in a 782.

Nic, my understanding is that Chris W. has been super busy with his real job so Cub Cadet Classics had to take a back seat so to speak.

BILL - My 982 has the 50C deck, and frankly, sometimes it's a load for the "19.9 HP" Onan. Yes, a 17 HP KT-17 powered 782 could pull it, but slower, and the Onan could pull it better. I've had my 5/8" wide mule drive belt smoking a time or two. And the Onan wasn't even wide open yet. Plus a wider deck just means that many more places my 982 won't fit into to mow.

Yes, The Haban was the available 60" deck, only available on SGT's.

Your grass must be different down there than mine is up here if you think you can run a 72" deck with a garden tractor. My buddy runs a 72" Simplicity deck on his Allis Chalmers diesel CUT. Allis owned Simplicity from 1965 to 1983. He also mows every 3-4 days in spring & early summer, then every 5-7 days in late summer. At $15-$16+ for gas to mow my yard, I won't mow that often. The 72 inch Bush-Hog mower we had when I was growing up on the farm we ran with a 30-35 HP full sze tractor, sometimes Dad would put the 90-95 HP diesel on it.. which usually resulted in a trip to the dealer to get new PTO drive-line parts.

The reason to buy the 982 over the 782 is because you can get the Cat O 3-pt, steering brakes, rear 2000 RPM PTO, and the taller wider tires & longer frame make it ride SO much better. Also the hydro pump/motor is bigger & heavier duty, frt axle is MUCH beefier. Going from a NF GD with pizza cutter tires (6-12 GY Turfs, VERY narrow!) to a 129 w/23-10.50's was a big jump in smoothing out the ride, but the longer frame of the 982 improved the ride over the 129 even more than the jump from 72 to 129.

I built a 3-pt mounted "De-thatcher" to pull with my 982 when I mow a couple times a year. I did build a "Carry-All" but made it too nice, never used it. I haven't built anything to run with the rear PTO yet but have some ideas. And the aux. remote hyd outlets get used to dump my Pronovost P503 tandem axle dump cart. It's odd, I have two full size farm tractors, both only have single control valves and loaders, so my garden tractor has to dump the cart. But the cart & 982 are nicely matched in size. Wish I had a 10,000# cap. Pronovost trailer to use with my bigger tractors.

ANYHOW, back between 1979 & 1989 when Wife & I lived in a house on a 70 ft X 175 ft lot, I could justify the CC 72, lusted after a 782, and could never understand why anybody would want or need something as big as a 982. Now living on 2-1/2 acres, I actually wish IH would have made a BIGGER SGT.

The one throw out lever is loose so I have to remove to tighten from the back nut, correct? So I'm just thinking if I have to remove it why not rebuild it? Unless there is a way to tighten that throw out lever without removing, thanks for all the help!!

Christian, the PTO will have to come off in order to tighten/adjust the throw out levers. There is a section on the PTO in the SERVICE MANUAL

Christian,

If the wear button wore down completely it is possible the lever arm has damaged the PTO thrust button and throw out level(s). This might be why one of them is loose. This depends on how long the tractor was running without a wear button.

When using an allen wrench to remove the set screws make sure you don’t use the ball end type. The ball end will likely round or break off. Make sure the allen wrench is in good shape at the end, like a new one. Damaging the hex hole in the set screw then make is a huge PITA to remove the PTO. PB Blaster is very good to free up the set screws, I will spray the set screws an allow them to soak overnight. Once the 6 set screws are out, getting the PTO off can be another PITA. Don’t hesitate to ask questions we all were nubees at some point in our lives.

You should use an adjusting gage when adjusting the PTO clutch spring pressure. This adjustment procedure is in the service manual. I usually replace the PTO bearing when servicing a PTO.

Dennis - I don't think I said the SGT was not comparable to a GT. I said it was "un-fair competition", and you're actually listing all the reasons it's unfair. There is no question an SGT is sweet. The 1872 I had with the 60" deck would cut grass at a speed I could hardly believe and the power steering was almost to quick for the tractor.

On my 2 acres, the Super has mowing duties. The 60" Haban cuts much flatter due to its width than the 44c I had on the 782.
Harry, your right about the power steering being too quick. It's a 3/4 (.75) turn lock to lock. Don't get me wrong, I love it. But you would have thought I was drunk the first time I mowed with it. Talk about over steer. Now I can't stand using the 782 without p/s. it takes two hands to turn the wheel if your not moving... Can't believe that used to be normal.

Let's say that again....The power steering on my Super lawn mower is too quick. That might be the definition of "First World Problem".!

Latest posts

Back