• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through February 20, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christian, All the tea {PB Blaster}in China won't help you if the holes have years of crud along the walls which don't allow the set screws back out and up, therefore causing you to strip the set screw hole. Use a straight pick to try and dig out any dirt in the set screw hole, which is another way of preventing needless damage. I use a .30cal bore brush and cordless drill motor to clean the holes, followed up with compressed air, a pick, and the PB Blaster.

Christian - those 6 little set screws holding that PTO clutch on the crankshaft can be a real bear to remove as so many others are describing. I'm sorta hopeful that based on your comment about the engine having been restored not long ago, that these little sets screws will actually come right out. Make sure you put some type of rust solvent in the holes so all the threads have lubrication. I highly recommend a T-handled Allen wrench. And so you understand since it sounds like you have no previous CC experience, there are 6 set screws, 2 in each hole, 1 on top of the other. 1 set screw serves as a lock screw to hold the other in place.

Thanks so much guys, I have been reading non stop so I am aware of the 6 set screws and how difficult they might be, and it always seems if I attempt something, it will probably be difficult!! This forum is the best and I appreciate all the info, looking forward to getting after the PTO, figure I will be one of the best cub mechanics around when I am finished! Thanks again for all the help folks!!

Christian,

A NEW allen wrench would be a big plus on those old set screws too. I have stripped out a lot of socket head screws at work with a worn allen wrench. Cutting off the end of the wrench does not work well either. The wrench is hard, and cutting or grinding off the worn end adds a lot of heat, making those nice crisp edges brittle. It don't take but one little slip to mess up a screw! John is right about cleaning those holes. Any buildup will not let the allen wrench go all the way down into the screw. That's a sure way to strip one out!
thumbsup.gif

I will get a new set of t handle Allen wrenches and definitely take my time

Question:

The driveshaft on my dad's 122 has some wear where the teaser spring and throwout bearing are. The bearing is old like the shaft, but still functions fine. The 122 will not be used much, mainly just ridden. Would the shaft be OK to use, or should I replace it?

Christian,

Also, if it won't loosen, try tightening the screw, then try loosening it again. Just not too hard!

I just picked up an old cub cadet the model # is 148660100 and the s/n is 772206 can anyone help me identify the series? all of the parts are associated with a series (ie:128,1863,80)

Jeff, I'm thinking its a 1811 because I did a web search on your no, and found a previous owner asked about your tractor back 2004 and then again about parts in 2009... One of these threads is from this forum...

www.yesterdaystractors.com/gardent/messages/51910.html

Posted by Darren on December 03, 2004 at 08:48:49 from (67.17.174.62): I have a Cub Cadet, model # 148660100. I'm trying to find a manual for it, but cannot match the ...

www.ihcubcadet.com/forum/messages/32806/151161.html?1241968974

and this one...

The serial # for this cubby is 772901 serial # 148660100 hope this helps as we still can't get the PTO to stay engaged thanks for the help. By Roland Bedell (Rbedell) ...

and this one...

www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1100
8 replies from May to October 2009

Small Engine Technical Forum ... "My friend has a Cub Cadet 1811 model 148660100, Serial# 772901. The mower deck will ..." · "Some of these electric clutches have ...

Man... The Internet is never...ever deleted. I just find it so interesting that every crumb of our movements are tracked 24/7/365. You think that guy though his silly question about his mower would be reposted on another cub cadet forum nearly 10 years later!? Or even searchable for that matter?

I hope some of the things I posted 10 years ago don't come up...

Big brother is always watching, everywhere.

Back