• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

450 snow blower refurb

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donald, no impeller drive either? I have seen #2 KEY shear on a 450 although it is a rare occurance. Make sure the retaining ring #20 on that shaft is in place so the shaft did not move.

Hope you find a simple fix for that.

Frank, If you choose to use a 450 remember those weigh a lot, so air up the front tires and help that 1210 steer easier. With "armstrong" steering and manual lift you'll have Popeye arms in no time
clappy.gif
That 450 sure does work well, so if the price is right you'll have a real snow mover!

Jim Diederichs

Thanks , I did have the printed parts and manual with me when I put the 450 back together , so I know its all put back together correctly. I`am hopeful that its something simple like a key. The back auger spins but not as much as it did and I have looked a think its the first gear box for sure. I do hope this is an easy fix.
bash.gif

Don T, Yeah, back to the old grind. The weather has been kicking my butt and theres more to come! I'm changing schuldes this week so I only get one day off. I enjoyed your video. May be asking you 450 questions soon,more to come.

Well I know now what happened with the snow blower .The shaft that comes from the back gear box that goes into the rear impeller has striped. Now the shaft just spins and don`t spin the impellers. I don`t know what to do with this now
1a_scratchhead.gif
. The splines in the rear impeller are all missing. Is this a normal problem with these 450 blowers. I think it will now go into the storage shed till I can get another rear impeller for it
bash.gif

Don T.
I've sold 11 impellers in the last 3 months.
The root cause from what Cub Cadet tells me is the fact that people don't idle the machines down before engaging the PTO.

"The root cause from what Cub Cadet tells me is the fact that people don't idle the machines down before engaging the PTO."
1a_scratchhead.gif

Is that because they were designed for an electric PTO that snaps immediately from disengaged to engaged?

That's what it sounds like to me.
Of course, the common sense factor has to be included in there somewhere I'm sure.
clappy.gif

Here's an excerpt from the 1872/2072 Operator's Manual:

220972.jpg

'Break-in instructions'? Sounds like a good idea always!
Charlie, do you have any idea of the type of clutches that you sold impeller assy's for?(cust gave a tractor model). Curious if most were electric clutches.
Interesting that a while back owners mentioned they liked mechanical clutchs so they could 'slip the clutch' when engaging equipment.

I'd say they're probably all electric...nothing that was meant to use the 2-stage blowers had a mechanical PTO...everything was electric by then.

Well as you guys can probably guess I`am not a happy camper. I can believe that the blower is that fragile to break from using to high an rpm to engage the blower. I think what did break it was some ice I did not see that fell off the snow bank and when I hear all the noise the blower was making I shut the pto off .I thought these blowers were a little more built and not so prone to break this easy.I have the right shear pins installed and they should protect the blower or at least I think that is what they were designed for. I think I will store the blower and get some parts this summer. Might be a good time to put the snow blade on the 1512 and get power angle on my big snow blade just for fun. Later Don T
wink.gif

Allen S.
I've sold 11 impellers in the last 3 months. Had an all time record for PTO's this winter too. 27 electric and 42 mechanical.

That's the FUN PART about working with old used equipment. Decades of little Oops's catch up with you. Slip clutches & shear pins don't and expensive-to-replace items like splined shafts peal the splines off the OD and maybe tear up the splined hubs when they go.

Speaking from personal experience blowing snow sure takes a toll on PTO's. The snow is O-K, but the packed frozen snow can really do a number on things. I won't mention what happens when you wind up 100 ft extension cords or dog leashes around the auger or impeller. Luckily I've never had that happen.... yet!

Dennis F
I had a friend visit here last night and he looked at the ripped up impeller and has an idea on how to fix mine.Charlie has them as a replacement for $145.00 and we looked at that for a second. I might have to go that way ,He said I could buy spline stock and drill out the old hole larger and weld in a new piece of stock and that should fix it. He said he would look at his parts book to see if he could get the same count that I have on my blower impeller. I hope to have help today to move the blower into my shed till next winter. I hope he can find the stock size I need and might repair it right away.I would like to know how many times I hit some ice with my Snapper walk behind and all that ever broke was shear pins.My walk behind Snapper is at a friends house now because his lift arm broke when he was blowing snow ,so I took my Snapper to his place for him to use. I hope he can get his new lift arm soon so I will have my blower back.
bash.gif

Something you have to remember is that throwing and blowing snow is one of the hardest things on a PTO clutch. These 14, 16, 18, and 20 hp engines hardly ever work when mowing grass and therefore do not put alot of strain on the clutch. Now the nature of snowthrowers is to push them until you hear the engine bark but not lug it down much if any. Because of this, you are using all of the engine power and the clutch to it's maximum holding strength. All that strain is going to wear them out more then than just pulling a mower deck. Probably the next hardest implement on PTO clutches are the 59M shredder and a tiller.

Wes Heinsohn

Thanks for that information. I have to agree that some of the implements are harder on PTO clutches than other implements.I have a tiller here and was going to install that on my 147. just how robust are the tillers ? will I break parts on my tractor if I run the tiller?Would I be able to till fresh sod and not break the tiller? I would like a heads up on it if you have experience with these tillers.Thanks Don T

DONALD - A tiller on a 147 should be a good match-up.

Dropping a tiller into sod and trying to till up a 5-6 inch deep seedbed will be REALLY hard and hard on the tractor & tiller. Dropping a tiller into an old garden that's been tilled not near as hard. Many have good luck turning & lossening the ground with a moldboard plow say in the fall then tilling in the spring.

Several passes will be required to stir up sod several inches deep.

Dennis F

I have a walk behind tiller that I use , I just had an idea that I would mount the tiller on the 147 and leave it there. If I turn the sod in the spring an leave it through to next season I should have good soil to till then,A sprinkle of lime might help the sod break down ( rot). I will have to install the tiller and see what it will do. Thanks I now understand they workthe best in well broken soil.
thumbsup_old.gif

Don - I recommend you use "Roundup" or some other brand product to kill everything off a couple weeks prior to turning the soil. I do my garden like you suggested; turn it over in the fall, then till it in the spring. Works great, and twice the seat time!

Latest posts

Back