• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

450 snow blower refurb

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I did change the spirals around and got them moving the snow to the inside like they should. I did look at the previous picture and just went by the shape on the ends and stuck it together. It don`t pay to rush stuf lol.I did have the blower running wot and it does blow a pile of air out the chute.So that should blow a pile of snow if we ever get some.

Frank C
To have taken something like this blower apart (first time) and have the spirals on the wrong ends is a small thing. Its back together and working and that a feat all by itself
thumbsup_old.gif

Don T, Your on your own with that cab. Doc says I can go back to work tommrow. I think Kraig has more info for you. Good Luck, my cab was trail and error for a week. I'll check and see how your doing on the weekend.

Melody Schutz
Good news for you back to the old grind.thanks for your help so far.
thumbsup_old.gif

I will keep at it and fab up some brackets and see if I can make it work. I do have some tent canvas here and will try to cut that to fit the front. Later I can use that pattern for some of the same material that the cab is made of.

I have a question about my lift bar on my 1512 that came with the 450 snow blower. I looks like a factor lift bar that would have come with the blower and it was used on a 1811. If I could find the length of that bar for the 1811 and then for the 1512 I could add to the tractor end of the bar. I seem to get about 2" of lift and i`am thinking there might be some difference in lengths for the two tractors.

Art A
you mentioned that I would have a problem if the snow blower fell of the edge of the drive and then would jam if I attempted to lift the blower with the lift arm.Here is my thought and question. If the lift bar holds the blower up at level floor setting , then won`t the lift bar prevent the blower from dropping when and if I go off the level paved drive ? I think I will have to see in the AM what I could do with the 149 lift cylinder I have here to use the front ports for lift, I think I could get 6" with that cylinder. That would give the spring on the pulley a hard time and I will have to jack up the blower and have a look and see if the spring can handle the stretch.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don-

The 1811 is basically the same as a 1512...there is no difference between mounting, so the lift rod is going to be the same.

Matt Gonitzke

We are on the same page! For some reason I only get about 2 1/2" lift.
1a_scratchhead.gif
I might have to look and see if I can use a 129 lift cylinder that will give a lift of 6" with a forclum. I`am looking and trowing away ideas.I might try and not post.. I did paint a side pannel off the 1512 today and do have some Black here to spray also.Funny how the 1512 has so many part numbers that match to a 782 or a 882 . Just saying !~
blush.gif

Don, Hello! What Art spoke of is very true with the 450's, you must use a great deal of caution if the unit drops "below grade" such as off a cement driveway,etc. The linkage goes overcenter and when you attempt to raise it 450 it bends the &#%$ out of the rockshaft. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt too.
bash.gif
bash.gif

What I learned is that good old "hands on" smarts can stop this from happening. (Something CCC/MTD should have learned before releasing these!) OK, I have no pictures but work with me on this....
You know where the lift bar from the rockshaft arm hooks to on the 450 lift linkage? That linkage has no stops to prevent it from allowing it to go over center. What you need to do is to work the linkage up and down and "mark" the travel. Then you will need to drill a hole in the blower's lift frame and install a bolt and nut to act as a stop for that lift mechanism. It does work! Since I added that I never had the linkage go overcenter anymore... hope you can "picture what I am suggesting.}

Art, thanks for the insight. You found the exact location, in spite of my lame attempt at describing it.
dizzy.gif

I don't know Jim, you must have given it a pretty decent description for someone as THICK as me to figure it out!
happy.gif

Jim & Art
This is great , thanks for that idea. I will add a bolt there so I don`t have that problem with my 450 going over center.I hope to have the rock shaft pin replaced on Tuesday. Seems I forgot I have to go to Halifax on Monday to see a surgeon for an operation I need. Thanks Guys
greenthumb.gif

Guys i`am not getting any lift from the lift arm.I don`t have the rock shaft pins broken because I took out the pin close to the hyd lift cylinder and its good so I put the pin back in.It seems like the hyd lift cylinder will move a lot before the 450 will move. I can`t seem to get more lift by adjusting the lift rod. so I`am lost as to what is amis.I`am onkly getting about 2" of lift. Do I need to have the float lock installed to get lift? help I`am
1a_scratchhead.gif

Don T. 2 days of lake effect snow then broke down and the temps were 4*. Glad to be back home.

Good news ! I made up a extension to give the lift bar another 2" of lift and now have what I think you guys get for a lift. I need to use a better bolt and I`ll be done . Now to drill and install a bolt for the over center problem as Jim D and Art said to do.
drool.gif

217805.jpg

Here are some pics of the snow-storm for Don..

First a "before" shot: (You can see the beaten down snow from the "situation" with the neigbor lady.)
angry.gif

217860.jpg

During:
217861.jpg

These #450's really throw!
217862.jpg

Why move the truck when you can just throw the snow OVER it?
217863.jpg

Here I'm going for 3-points, but I stepped over the line...
happy.gif

217864.jpg

Here's an in-cab shot to make the whole "live vicarously" thing a little easier..
217865.jpg

Done!
217866.jpg

Home of the Plow Special

I see your missing the belt cover on your 450. Does that not installed ever cause the belt to slip ? My 450 has no cover and I was concerned that the belt would slip.Nice to see that the 450 will move a large amount of snow , I won`t have a problem here I see with snow removal using my 450.Does your tractor have a mag 18 ? I hope my 15 diesel will be up to the job with the 450 as I think one could overload that blower and the diesel. Time and a snow storm will tell. I might look at having a Cab built for the Diesel next summer and have it lift off when not needed.brackets to support it could be a piece of 2x2 steel under the foot plates and on my Cat behind. I will have something for next winter as I see with your blower it can get nasty if the wind was blowing it back BRRRRRR. Thanks for the snow removal shots
beerchug.gif
. I know now I will have a blast here with my 450 lol.

Don-

You won't overload the diesel...the 1512 I used to have was the only tractor I used for snow throwing (also used a 1450 and 782) that I didn't nearly stall. It just grunts and smokes and keeps right on going
Shift.gif

Don-
This tractor has the 20hp Kohler Mag. There were times that I could run it right down if I wasn't careful, but then again those were the times that I was lifting 4 inches of hard-pack and the light stuff on top of that hard-pack was so deep it was going over the top of the blower housing. (Which is unbelievable to think about now..)

It's like everything else, load dictates how well your Diesel will perform. I've found that snow (depth and moisture make up) can vary SO much that it's really difficult to compare. Combine that with how much you load the tractor and it's going to be very tough to give you a fair assessment over the net. I think you'll be fine though.

As far as that belt-guard, I could be wrong, but it's my opinion that it did nothing but keep MTD's lawyers happy. This blower never had the guard from the time that I've owned it. The guard certainly does nothing for keeping the belt from getting wet and slipping. Even with 20hp...
Shift.gif

Art
Thanks for that info. I just won`t worry about the cover now that I see you don`t have an issue with it.I did not drill and add the bolt for the going over center issue just yet. I`am leaning towards welding a piece of reed bar accost to the same location on the other side.This should work and prevent any binding with just a stop on one side. now that I have the blower ready to use I don`t want to remove it to drill and install that bolt. I should be able to weld the reed bar fast and not have to take the blower off. What do you think of this idea
1a_scratchhead.gif
. Well I`am off to to Halifax to see a surgeon today and will need an operation soon. Have a great Day and thanks for the great snow removal shots
thumbsup_old.gif

Art, I was wondering if that was the 2072. Since your 1872 lost the decal I can't tell which is which. That 3rd photo down is quite impressive. I bet you wouldn't try blowing snow over the 'Burb if you had a gravel driveway.
icon_eek.gif

Latest posts

Back