• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Witch type snow blower is best for what tractor.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I have a 149 and a 1512 diesel tractor and I have two 450 and two IH snow throwers. I find the 450 very heavy and hard to back up the tractor when lifted . I have never ran my IH blowers but think my 149 would make a great working combination to try it. I would like people to post some video of both a thrower and a blower . this would help my friend decide with blower to mount on his tractor with a 14 hp Koehler . all input is welcome.

Don, I sent two small videos to you of my 125 with QA42 in action. They were taken back when the 125 still had the tired old K301. The snow was about 6" deep and was a heavy wet snow from a March snowstorm. Here are a few photos from the same snow removal event:

292186.jpg

292187.jpg

292188.jpg

Kraig , thanks that is what I need to show my friend how they work. Now to get Art to send me some of his 450 and I will be happy . I would like to try a thrower on my 1512 and my 149 just to see how they would do. I have a 42" with the speed up pulley and I think either tractor would handle that 42" thrower . Just the 1512 now has a Cab and the 149 does not yet . I have most pieces here to install a cab like you have in that last picture . just missing a few pieces to mount it. In my shop now daily working on Cubs and loving it .
1AA_dance2.gif

Here you go Don, from the October 27, 2014 archive. Art posted this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBICC2hRADo

It was Minus 22 Degrees January 29, 2014 when this was shot.

Once discussion from that day is the 450 takes a lot of power to run, not sure that a 149 has the "cahonas" to run a 450.

I have my QA42A on my 1650, which is the highest horsepower tractor I have. That is one reason, and the 1450 has front ports, so my "new" hydro angle blade is mounted to the 1450. Somewhat looking forward to trying them both out. What we got over the last weekend was not even enough to warrant a shovel, I just used a bit of ice melt.....

Don, I should mention that the QA42 in my videos and photos had recently been refurbished and there was no rust in the auger housing or discharge chute. See my post in the main forum this morning for comments on QAxx snowthrowers and rust...

If someone who knows for sure could fill me in . will a 42" cub thrower fit on my 1512 diesel. I think the pto belt would have to be changed on the blower to one to fit the larger belt on the 1512 . But with the cab I have a the blower with a speed up pulley ; that might be worth installing . I should have lots of power running the 42" off the 1512 D . some imput here will help me decide what should be done. Thanks Don

Don, to mount a 42" snowthrower onto your 1512D, I believe you would need a QA42A with a 5/8" wide driven pulley (sheave) and you would have to change out the straight upper links for a set of the curved upper links from a QA36B, or buy a pair of the curved upper links from Xtreme Motorsports.

Don,

A QA36/42A with a 5/8 pulley should mount up to the 1512, since it is basically a 782D. The QA42B is exactly that a QA42A with a 5/8 pulley for the 82 series..... a diesel should run it nicely.

Scott, except for the curved upper links...
cubwinker.gif

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure that a QA42B actually exists. The QA36B does exist but it was sold during the time of the H42 snowthrower which replaced the QA42A.
dunno.gif

Thanks, Kraig.... I forgot about that part. My QA42A actually has the curved upper links on it. I believe it has always been used on a wideframe, as I see no marks from the hitch being set to "narrow", but it may have been toward the end of the run when it was purchased. I can tell its has not been used much, almost looks new.... It is definitely a QA42A per the decal by the chute. It may have been made at the tail end of the Quietline run getting ready for the 82's to hit the floor and maybe they just swapped the pulley depending on what it was going to be hooked to. I know that when I lift mine up, the chute gets no closer to the grill/hood. Dad has a QA36A for his 149, and he has said the thrower "tips back" when his is lifted and gets closer to the hood/grill.

Don just wondering how many RPM do you run the
1512. That may be the deciding factor of which
blower/thrower to use.

Kendal Harvey

The 1512 is set at 3600 WOT the same as any cub should be set at. I just don`t know what rpm`s the blower will run with this speed up pulley that it has installed . I guess I will have to install it and engage it at 3600 and see what it turns with my meter to see what the speed up pulley does.

I`am having a bear to attach pictures with windows 8 ggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. lol

292191.jpg

so I need lift arms as Kraig revealed in his last post. I think I`am good for the pulley size ; now what length belt will I need ?

Don T , I use a QA42A on my 882D. It runs it just fine. 5/8" x 33" belt with 3" speedup pulley on my unit. PWR
Shift.gif

ps..you could add a couple inches length to those top links to enhance the snow playing! I added a couple pieces of flat scrap to the links too.

Paul W.Roessler

So what I think you are saying is if I add two inches to the top straight arms I won`t need to get the bent lift arms that Kraig mentioned .would you have a picture that you could post so I can see your mod ? I really need to get this mounted and find a belt . It could snow here anytime.

Don T. The best I can do is a word pic. Link holes are 11" C to C to start. Field Mod Link is -- holes are 12.5" C to C, and one hole is 2" up from centerline of original holes. I bolted scrap piece in one end & welded to hold position with each link.
You'll need to do metric measuring conversion.
292215.jpg

Scott Nicklas

Well I wanted to add a smart car turbo to my 1512 now for a few years ; so for now I will run the 42" thrower with slip plate over the chute and anywhere I think it might benefit the thrower moving snow . I do want to mod the 450 as to how it attaches to the 1512 and how the lift works now. but getting the cab in place and the blower ready for this year is all I think I should hope for. round-to-its are used here to much lol. A little research will tell me if I can up the HP in my diesel to help it run the 450 . I have a VW TDI Golf here that had 80HP because of California emissions . I have reset the computer in it to 130 HP and then removed the 116 nozzles and add 216 nozzles to give me an easy 1000 to 1200 km a tank for under 60$ . So I`am sure the 15 Kubota engine can stand a boost to 26 or more HP with a turbo and or bigger nozzles . I have been picking up odd jobs here to winterize lawn mowers and have two and a walk behind snow blower here that need a oil changes and blades sharpened . I have 4 lawn tractors to do yet also. I do this to make some $$ so I can spend it on my Cub projects . keeps me busy for sure.

Latest posts

Back