• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Why are there so many Models?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Why did Cub make so many models?
I can understand different attachment options and tire style, hydraulic lift 's manual, but why have so many different engines within, basically the same metal body and frame?

So the consumer thought it was the newest and latest and greatest and would be enticed to buy them. Also, different engines might be due to availability issues from suppliers as well as different power needs depending on the size of the area the machine was used to take care of. And there were small changes updates to I'm sure which further validated model changes, at least to some extent.

Cost was another factor. The 7/8 horse models were normally “bare bones“ machines (they could be optioned up) and sold at a lower price. They could do the same work as the larger hp tractors, maybe not as well, but still could. The 14/16/17 hp models could do some of the work better, but came at a higher cost, and normally had more “standard features“ than other models. The hydraulic lift is nice with the heavier attachments, like a snow thrower or a tiller. I know on the 149, 14/1650 they came standard with lights and hydraulic lift… but they cost more than an 86/800….

Cost was another factor. The 7/8 horse models were normally “bare bones“ machines (they could be optioned up) and sold at a lower price. They could do the same work as the larger hp tractors, maybe not as well, but still could. The 14/16/17 hp models could do some of the work better, but came at a higher cost, and normally had more “standard features“ than other models. The hydraulic lift is nice with the heavier attachments, like a snow thrower or a tiller. I know on the 149, 14/1650 they came standard with lights and hydraulic lift… but they cost more than an 86/800….
Just like the automotive industry. Trying to cover all consumers depending on needs and budget...

If you divide the number of models over years produced, my 2284 was , I believe the first year of production was 1961 and the last 97. I counted roughly 125 divided by 36 year production = 3.7 per year.

I have owned several IH CC's. My keepers for decades were a 109 (10HP, manual lift) and a 149 (14HP, hydraulic lift). Both worked excellently. I liked the MANUAL lift on the 109 because if I came upon a stump/rock unexpectedly, then I could quickly grab the handle and raise the deck to clear the obstacle without causing any damage. The 149's Hydraulic lift will not raise up as high in such a case. Both were workhorses for me for a long time, As far as running? The 109's 10 HP Kohler would struggle just a little bit more (just had to throttle up a bit more) than the 149's 14 HP in high grass for example but not extremely so. Both have the 44" decks. I finally sold the 109 a few years back just because of storage constraints, but I kinda still miss it. I kept the 149 because of the larger engine, hydraulic lift, and tractor tires with wheel weights. I've owned it for over 30 years now and still use it although, currently, I have a stuck pulley on one outside blade that I've got to fix/replace sometime. I've never had to run any of mine over 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Just my input.

I have a wide array of 82 series units, from a 1050, to a 782 Diesel. ALL do basic yard duties well, even the 1050, which has comparable power to my 1210's. They are equal since the 1210's hydros use more engine power output to turn the pump. The 1811 never breaks sweat, nor does the diesel, even in thick tall wet grass.

Almost all major garden tractor manufactures did this. Same basic machine with different engine, transmission, lift options. IH was not the only one.

Latest posts

Back