• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

bringing home a 70 is a tad insane

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today the 57 yr old engine fired and ran for a few seconds on carb cleaner...Testing found 25 # on comp. so the head was pulled..Intake valve was held open by insect parts (lots)..this happens because it was sitting with no air cleaner and the choke open,they love dark places...Head bolts were way too loose and 1 broken..Put it back together after cleaning ,tightened bolts a bit and suddenly I have 70# comp. so I just had to hear it fire..so there is serious hope this engine is good ...I did get the lift lever and undercarriage moving with lots of PB and patience...It is starting to feel like a project,like I need more...
NiC3! Encouraging for sure!
Literally “blowing the cobwebs out.”

Gary... GREAT story and congrats on getting it "loosened and tightened up" to see that the engine is fairly sound.

One of my favorite YouTube channels is one by MUSTIE. This guy will take old mowers and engines that people put out on the curb to get rid of, bring them home and get them running after about 20-30minutes.

I'll be tuning back in to this thread to s follow it to complete restoration!. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Ajay, thanks but don't hold your breath on resto..This machine is rusted quite severe.Maybe get it running first and go from there...tires,clutch,cables,carb., it's looking like a few hundred to make it a worker...might just take JP's advice and leave it in its work clothes....rat rods why not rat mowers??

Comment on ignition key location. My #72 has the key recessed in theirto a radiused steel cup, really hard to bump with your knee getting on or off. When I started my restoration or refurbish on the 70 I had plans of installing one of those cups for the key. I actually drilled a hole on the top surface of the dash to relocate the key directly above it's original location. It's easy to reach and impossible to bump with a foot, knee, or other wayward body part.
I'm not a big fan of the K161 or K181 engines, they have to work so hard just to run the mower deck, it shortens their life. A K-241 drops right in and lasts several times longer even running snow blowers, mowing taller grass, moldboard plowing.

Update on old iron...The 70 is now running and quite well.I got very lucky on drilling out broken head bolt and was able to clean up with a tap,new gasket.. Carb parts cleaned with new internals.S/g putting out 14 v with original v. reg...clutch and undercarriage now moving thanks to blaster...rear wheels off so didn't try to drive the machine.key switch works,push button starter works,throttle cable broken in jacket,choke cable ok..It has possiblities!!! Nice sounding 7 hp without smoke...

I just had to...fired it up,started perfectly...used another fuel tank tied on , put in gear eased out the clutch ...and behold rotten tires and all ,it backed up...drove about 75 ft back ,tried all fwd gears..I am a bit surprised that this machine can still do it with out taking drive line apart...I guess now I'm stuck because it's give in and buy new tires...That's what a hobby does to ya'

Do you think these tires are overkill for the 70???...the only extra 5 bolt wheels I had but at least I can drive it around some...sorta feels like falling on to the hood

Attachments

• 100_1572.JPG
    100_1572.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_1573.JPG
    100_1573.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Ajay, thanks but don't hold your breath on resto..This machine is rusted quite severe.Maybe get it running first and go from there...tires,clutch,cables,carb., it's looking like a few hundred to make it a worker...might just take JP's advice and leave it in its work clothes....rat rods why not rat mowers??

Gary, your 70 seems to have some really nice patina. It kind of reminds me of my Original. I do love the "work clothes" look. As nice as they can look restored, there's just something about an all original machine that really gets me.

However, in the case my own 70, faded dull brush painted pink to me is not a good "work clothes" look!

JP, just read an article with pics.An Englishman, power washed his 1937 tractor and after doing a little scraping he sprayed the entire tractor with linseed oil..He said the same ,it shows that it has worked a lot but he is also doing unseen mechanical repair so it can continue to "work". Pics looked good ..

Back