• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The "Cubbie" --My 682

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucas--Mike said that he had posted some info on it over there. You could do all kinds of stuff with this setup. I cant wait to have a couple more years of use on it to draw off. I'm a big believer in how well a modification works over the long haul. Does it work well for five months or five years? I want stuff that works year in and year out.

251324.jpg

I purchased my 450 from a gentleman who got it with a 782 that he had bought. It has a lot of wear on it and the lower part of the auger housing has been replaced. It was also missing the belt cover, tensior pulley spring bracket, and a few other miscellaneous parts. Then I started to look over the manual and realized that I was missing several key components to use it with the manual lift which my 682 has. Also, when I purchased the Cubbie, it came with Haban 42 attached and I remembered how heavy that was to lift even with the assist spring turned way up.

251325.jpg

So, I was brain storming with my uncle Rog, who can fabricate almost anything out of metal or wood, and we were discussing the problem. It isn't just the weight of lifting the blower but also the aspect of needing three arms (One for the lift, one for the wheel, and one for the SR lever)
1a_scratchhead.gif
My friend Seth, mentioned earlier in this thread, was listening to our conversation and jokingly said, "You need a winch to lift that beast!!!" and then walked off. That completely changed our thinking. Then Roger said that if we could find a spot to mount the winch under the tractor we could use an ATV winch to lift the 450 just like four wheeler's use a winch to lift a snow blade.

251326.jpg

To make a long story shorter, we looked at a lot of possibilities but I wanted to make the thing as easy as possible to remove in the spring so as to use for other summer duties. Rog jokingly said, "We should mount it on the blower so that it could lift itself!" Thus, we came up with what you see here. They had a sale on camo 3000# ATV winches at our local Fleet Farm and I picked this one up for $150. Because the cable only moves about 6-10" back and forth, we wanted the speed to be as slow as possible. So, I reoved all of the wire rope from the spool except about 30". Then Roger fabricated the bracket that he welded to the short lift arm on the 450. I drilled and mounted the winch to the impeller housing. Then it was time for the wiring. Thankfully, the kit contained nearly everything that I needed so it was just a matter of routing it in a fashion that it would work for years to come.

251327.jpg

One of the coolest things is this rocker switch. It allows you to keep one hand on the SR lever and still raise and lower the blower with your thumb
buttrock.gif
! Finally, I don't need three arms to move snow!!!

251328.jpg

The slot for the speed control stop made a perfect place to run the cable that controls the winch. I still haven't taken any close ups of the wiring and or winch setups but I'll try to do that soon for those interested. All I can say is that it worked really well today. If it keeps working that well over the long haul, I for one, will be satisfied.

ihrotate.gif

joshua donald stertz

Nice job on the lift . I had thought of mounting one to the back of my 149 at one point.I would like to see a picture of where you mounted the winch. You have a awsume tractor now !

Joshua: I'm proud of you; Ya done good!

One thought: If the weight threatens to damage the winch, doubling the run of cable through a stationary pulley (I mean sheave) will drop the torque required, but it will also drop the speed by half too. Since yours is rated for 3000# it should be OK, but others considering a similar application may be able to get away with a smaller winch motor by doubling the cable run.

Thanks Jeremiah and Donald for the kind words. It sure feels good to have this thing finished--for now! I finally got around to posting some videos on my YouTube channel of this thing blowing snow so I'm going to include a link here for anyone interested in checking it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhtDW7n0rxo

I've used it at my place, over at my parents place and at a couple of friends houses to clean out their drives. Everyone like the look of the tractor and is impressed with the 450's capabilities. The only thing that would be nicer is power steering--Oh well, guess I'm spoiled with the CubKub!!! The finger tip control electric lift has worked really well so far. However, we'll see how it holds up for years to come. One winter isn't the test--ten winters will be!

Joshua: The video is cool. It shows "Red Power" at its finest. That 450 snowblower is a beast! I can see why you and Donald Tanner like it so. The most amazing thing to me is that none of that stuff is blowing back in your face.
smile.gif

Jeremiah--
roflol.gif
One thing you learn in a hurry with snow blowers or throwers, especially without out a cab, BLOW WITH THE WIND!!! I have had it happen many times where I attempted to blow against it and you can't even imagine how "refreshing" it is to get snow blown back in your face at the rate of several cubic feet per second
yikes.gif
!!! I now take the cheaters way out and wear a snow mobile helmet if I know I'm likely to have to do some "against the wind" removal.
Shift.gif
Thanks

There's at least one more thing you DON"T do against the wind........

Joshua, nice job on the video! Even with a cab it's a good idea to work with the wind. Before I got the cab I used to wear my snowmobile riding outfit including the full face helmet.
thumbsup.gif

Tom, yep!

254096.gif

KENtuckyKEN made the above gif a few years back.

Some Projects never end! Some out of necessity and others out of desire. With the Cubbie, lately its been both! I got my hands on a 1862 parts tractor early in the winter and decided at that point that I wanted to retrofit that hydro with splined input shaft and the accompanying CV drive shaft to the Cubbie. I knew that the ported hydro situation would have to be dealt with since the 682 has manual lift. About a month before I was going to make the change on the Hydros a peculiar thing began to take place with my M20 motor. The Governor began acting up. It was holding open even when the throttle was placed most of the way down. Not wanting to have it get worse, I decided to park it for the time being and look into it later.

Well, last weekend my family was going to have their own plow day since the wheat was now off the fields and my cousin Mike let me know that he had some areas set aside for us to plow with the GT's
guitarist.gif
The only problem is the Cubbie wasn't ready for action. So, I took it apart...

262139.jpg

In less than five hours this is what it looked like again! How depressing
a_weep.gif
I didn't think I'd be back to this look for years on this particular machine but here we were! I felt it would be easiest to completely dismantle it so as not to ruin my good paint.

I stood the rear end up and preppared to switch hydros

262140.jpg

Then I took the best of the linkage from the two hydros and painted up the hydro out of the 1862.

262141.jpg

Meanwhile, I set aside the mighty M20, in favor of a low hour M15 out of a 1535 parts machine. This engine seemed like a strong runner that just needed a tune up and some carb adjustment. I had to do a little tweaking here and there (it has the vacuum fuel pump, the opposite pull choke linkage, and a little different exhaust output) but it didn't take long to have it ready. Don't worry, I'll get the M20 rebuilt and back in it again someday in the near future. Soon, it was all bolted back together but I wasn't sure what to do with the ported hydro deal...

262142.jpg

I started with a plugged hydro but it just didnt sound right when I ran it. So, I contacted our in house hydro expert, Marlin (thanks very much once again for the help
happy.gif
, and he put me in touch with one of his guys who told me I could plug it but that I'd have to change the operation of the relief valves. He told me it would probably be easier to just have a loop made.

262143.jpg

And that is what I did! It seems to work just like it should now. Today after work, I loaded up the Cubbie, 10"Brinly, and headed out to plow...

262144.jpg

262145.jpg

262146.jpg

The "15hp" really did a good job. It was running pretty smooth and that CV joint driveshaft is the cats meow!!! I bet it reduced the felt vibration by at least 60%.

262147.jpg

Boy, was that fun! My cousin Mike is testing it out here in these pics. We were also plowing with his 448 Case. As you can see, the conditions were really good, the plow was scouring well and everything was fun until I hit a large flatrock about six inches under the soil at 4 miles per hour!!! It totally bent my back adjusting rod on my Brinly
angry.gif

Any ideas where I can get another one of those cheap and quick???

I'll post a video link soon.

The saga continues...

Joshua: Your story reminds me of the unofficial motto of the U.S. Marines-- "Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome." I can't source your bent adjusting rod, but I totally applaud your ambition and ingenuity in upgrading the "Cubbie." You were wise on two points; (1) "parking" the M20 (the governor is a known weak point), and (2) contacting Marlin. He is a great resource to this forum.
I'm sure you'll get the M20 back in one day, but right now I would enjoy the "low hour, low vibration" featured on the current iteration of your "Cubbie"
smile.gif

Latest posts

Back