• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

The "Cubbie" --My 682

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been busy this summer building a house not too far from my own, but it has kept me out of the shop more than I'd like. However, for a homebuilder in this economy, I'm certainly not going to complain about work. Anyway, thanks to Chris I received the correct PTO unit for my M20 retrofit and so now I don't have any major excuses why I can't finish this restoration up. While finishing the cleanup on the heads and combustion chambers, the old fuel pump kept staring me in the face. I remembered reading many posts where someone's pump had failed from age and pumped their crankcase full of gas.
thumbdown.gif
I really didn't relish that possibility happening to me and so I decided to install a new fuel pump. The minimal cost combined with the ease of changing it now, made it seem like a no brainer!

243202.jpg

After removing the old pump and cleaning the area up, I was ready to install the new. However I noticed some subtle differences.

243203.jpg

The general size and shape was the same but the new pump wasn't threaded to accept fittings, it has a special O-ring fitting with an interlock device. Hopefully that will hold up for the long haul. It went together very nicely but we'll see how well it works.

243204.jpg

Note the "teeth" which allow you to orient the fitting however it fits your application best. Also included were several different fittings to choose from.

243205.jpg

The finished product! Hopefully in a few weeks I'll know if it is sealed as it should be and works as it should. Then I turned my attention to installing the new steering column. It was a challenge to get off the steering wheel but the rest went together very well. Do you guys think that I should address my worn pivot pin? It isn't in terrible shape but now with a tight gear box the slop is more noticeable at the pivot pin.

243206.jpg

I need to clean and lube my starter but I noticed in the manual that they recommend a Kohler lubricant for that (surprise, surprise). What product are you guys using to lube those up? I certainly don't want to use something that will cause more problems than I've had already.

Josh: Looking Good
thumbsup.gif

I lube the starter with the waterproof white grease that comes in a tube with a big blue top, the common name for it isn't coming to mind. Some people use it when they assemble their motors, it's thin and doesn't evaporate or dry out.

Interesting fuel pump, I went with an automotive electric pump at 7 psi which came to me free on a parts tractor I picked up; it hasn't given me any problems-- I installed it below the tank. I think Kirk Engines now has an electric one that delivers fuel at 3 psi. I like the electric because I know when I turn the key the first time the bowl is full and I don't have to crank the engine to fill it.

I would definitely do the pivot pin repair. You can see what I did on my "Unconfuguliating" post in this same section. I used a metric bolt that required opening up both the hole in the axle and the frame. I bought an adjustable hand reamer fairly cheaply and I'm definitely pleased with the results, the axle is free and tight oveer a year later. (Of course, I've kept it greased well, too.) If you go back with the 3/4" bolt, I would try to get one long enough that the threaded portion doesn't rest on the cast axle.

Finally, make sure the passage for the grease is clear. I had to take a coat hanger to mine. If you have to remove the press-in grease fitting, go back with a 1/4"-28 style, works really well. I ran an extension out to the right spindle so I don't have to crawl on the ground to grease the axle; but its a bit of a "Jerry-rig" and probably doesn't belong on a full-blown restoration --mine is a worker.

Good to see your progress, keep it up!

Thanks for posting the pictures.
smile.gif

Jeremiah--Thanks for the info on the starter lube. I went back and read down through all the info that you had posted on the pivot pin and the front axle. After looking at your thread, I've decided that I will definitely R&R that pivot pin. Looks like it is certainly worth it. I've been sidetracked this week with my sons 125 but I need to keep on the Cubbie, I'd like to have it back together by October.
ihrotate.gif

Today was probably the most productive day that I've had on the Cubbie project in several months.
buttrock.gif
First, I installed the new crank seal. The old one kept leaking oil between the bottom of the seal and the bore. It wasn't a lot but enough to be really annoying! Now would be a much easier time to take care of it then when the PTO and shielding is all on. I had read elsewhere on the forum about using sheet metal screw to remove the old seal.

243841.jpg

I spent some time cleaning the bore and installed it dry as per advice from our in house Kohler expert. I made sure that it was square in the bore and tapped it in carefully. Next up was the pivot pin. I removed my old pivot pin and realized that my bushings were in much better shape than what I thought. Basically the main problem was the fact that IH had installed a bolt with too short a shank. The rear bushing would ride directly on the threads and wear them down. I procured a Grade 5 bolt with a shank long enough to go just through the bushing. I installed that and then checked to make sure that my grease zerk still worked.

243842.jpg

Boy, what a difference that made!!! Between the upgraded pivot pin and the steering box that is in much better shape, this thing steers really nice! Better than any Cub that I currently own anyway!
biggrin.gif
Now it was on to the starter. I cleaned the gear carefully and lubed it. Then it was time to reinstall the stater, shrouds, engine, and all the hookup stuff (i.e. cables, fuel line, driveshaft, etc.) About this time my friend Seth,who enjoys restoring green GTractors, came to give me a hand. We got it back into place and hooked up and he didn't even break out with yellow hives!!!

243843.jpg

It was exciting to have it ready to run again after being apart for the last couple of months. After a few last minute checks (didn't want another Exxon Valdez!)and changing the oil, we were ready to bring the beast to life. It started without much fan fare and once it was warmed up, it seemed to run pretty good.

243844.jpg

He is a picture of me driving the Cubbie around the back yard. Yes, it is rather uncomfortable sitting on a 3/4" pc of plywood with your butt nearly touching both battery posts and your "other parts" only about 6" from a rotating driveshaft and fan!!!
yikes.gif
However, I've got the bug bad and had to see how it would drive.
243845.jpg

So far I'm happy with the progress. Now I need to install the PTO and get going on the sheet metal prep for painting. I'm getting closer to the end of this thing if I can clear these last couple of hurdles.
err.gif

I feel like the dogs in the Disney movie "UP" when they say "squirrel!!!" I just can't stay focused on this project and I'm so near to the end. Anyway, my cousin Mike is a big Case GT fan and has done some excellent restorations. He is the one I am planning to have paint my Cubbie sheetmetal. Anyway, he is currently "restifying" a black frame 226. I say that because he is making some mods to it along the way. His is at the same point as mine right now, what I would call a running skeleton tractor! I told him to bring it over and we could get some pics together. So we did...

244479.jpg

It is really fun to compare and contrast these things. Mine has the M20 opposed twin, his is an Onan 16 opposed twin. His has a mechanical PTO, mine (will be) electric.

244480.jpg

I have the awesome 15U Sundstrand hydro, he has the bullet proof smooth running Hydrive system (although I really miss the infinite speeds of a true hydro). Mine, gas tank under hood (someday, I hope), his gas tank under the seat (likewise).

244481.jpg

It was fun to drive the two tractors around the yard for about an hour together, the neighbors surely thought we were nuts!

244482.jpg

Tomorrow its back at it to see if I can get that PTO installed...SQUIRREL!
biggrin.gif

Back at it again!!! I finally got around to working on the Cubbie again this weekend. I need to get this thing finished because I found a 149 that my Dad wants to refurb with me and put into service himself. He has finally conceded that his "throw away" box store tractor isnt going to last much longer and he needs to get back to a solid old school unit. I found him one with a solid engine in hydraulic lift. Its missing a few pieces but I'll start a thread for that when we get it under way. Back to the Cubbie...

First my daughter helped me install the PTO and set it up per the directions in the manual. It took us newbies about and hour or so but it seems to go together nicely. She loves to get her hands dirty but I was so focused on the tractor and her helping me that I didn't realize that she was wearing her nice school dress still. Thankfully for my health and well being that she didn't get any grease on that!!!
bottom.gif
draw.gif
You get my drift...

On Saturday, I finally got to doing something that I have been threatening on here for about a year now...I finally started stripping the paint!!!
jawdrop.gif
The sheet metal is pretty straight on the Cubbie but the paint is really in nasty shape.

247661.jpg

Here is the hood right before I started and then a pic of where things are at right now. This is tedious work but I'm getting closer with every sweat drop!!!

247662.jpg

I was using a box store paint stripper and it seemed to work ok. The areas where more heat had baked on the paint through the decades were more obstinate! I'm using a nylon wheel on a drill to do the finishing touches. I know, I should just have it media blasted!

I had been waiting on a PTO switch from one of our faithful suppliers (thanks Charlie) and it came in today! I could wait to see if my electrical adaptation had worked and so I installed it and plugged the final two plugs in after removing my temporary jumper and...it worked! Call me a chicken but i wanted to test this combination before putting the rest of the sheet metal on. SO, I put the deck on (with worn bearings--LOTS of howling--think 747 jet!) and mounted the seat and put it to work cutting my grass and grinding up the leaves. It seemed to work really well. The neighbors were wagging their heads, laughing, and pointing but I don't think that they've come to expect much different from me after the last year or so. The only complaint that I have at this point is I still get some governor surging and I'm not sure if this is carb related or if it is somewhere else. It is most noticeable in the mid range rpm's without the PTO engaged.

247663.jpg

Other than that, I had my 2 acre lawn cut in about and hour and forty-five minutes! Another step closer
greenthumb.gif

Josh: Looks good! I see you have spring assist --excellent! My grand-daughter, age 4, loves to "help" me, but she always hesitates when she realizes her hands are going to get dirty --cracks me up.
happy.gif

I'll be interested to learn how the painting proceeds, what kind of paint and prep you use, and how it turns out. The same job awaits me in a year or two.

The end is nearing--I hope! I finally took a look around the shop and realized that I really need to get this thing finished. So it back on the preparation for paint. I spend several hours with a paint stripping wheel on a 4" angle grinder and I was pleased with the results.

248842.jpg

As you can see in these photos I have about half of the sheetmetal ready for the first coat of primer and any necessary filler needed for smoothing small dings etc.

248843.jpg

It is funny in this pic how the hood almost looks Chrome plated. It should give me a good place to start the finishing process. I also detailed my tiller gear box as I intend to use the tiller for my spring garden work and any landscape work necessary.

Jeremiah--Kids are so much fun and I love it when they enjoy taking part in this process. My son told me last night that I needed to finish this project because that shows perseverance! Out of the mouth of babes...

Here is the gearbox on the kitchen counter after detail painting the IH!

248844.jpg

My cousin finally finished his Case GT project and so he called me and said lets get that Cubbie painted! I brought the sheet metal over to his heated shop where we finished grinding it down to the bare metal.

249516.jpg

Here my oldest son is working on sanding the grille housing down to the raw. He was happy to be working on the project knowing that it is getting close to being finished
clappy.gif

249517.jpg

There were some dents and dings in a few areas and so some straightening and a little bondo was in order to smooth it out. There also was some pock marks left from some of the surface rust once it was removed. I decided to use a high build primer in those areas and then block sand it out.

249518.jpg

I also had to straighten the headlight surround screen and then I painted that in low gloss black and installed the emblem.

249519.jpg

We welded in a brace to the underside of the fender unit were it bolts to the battery box. My fender unit had several "tears" in the metal around those bolt holes and I wanted to fix and beef it up some.

249520.jpg

More filling and sanding to achieve the desired result. Once the surface looked good it was time for the final coat of primer...

249521.jpg

249522.jpg

So...We are finally to paint
groupwave.gif
hopefully in the next couple of days that will be a reality!!!!

Joshua, looking good! I bet it feels good to be in the home stretch with the paint in sight.
happy.gif
BTW, I hope you and your son were wearing dust masks to keep from breathing that paint dust. Not sure if that paint was lead free. I don't do any sanding of paint on my Cubs without wearing a half face respirator.

Thanks for the input Kraig and yes we did have masks and safety gear abounding. I just wanted Caleb's face to be seen in the pic. It is amazing how days turn into weeks!!! I don't have time for a lot of text right now but I wanted to get this update in before getting back to work. So I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. I know that is rare for me!!

250235.jpg

Claudia hand painting the emblem!

250236.jpg

250237.jpg

250238.jpg

250239.jpg

250240.jpg

250241.jpg

I decided to make this a real "Quiet Line" with the inclusion of sound deadner under the sheet metal.
Now the assembly must continue...

Josh,
Good idea for the "QL" insulation. Let up know how it works out for you. All that red looks sweat!

Thanks for the kudos guys! More assembly means more pics...
1AA_dance2.gif

250346.jpg

250347.jpg

Front sheet metal is on and just needs a little more alignment and I'm ready for decals
clappy.gif
. A careful eye will note that I have a replacement gas cap complete with gauge (thanks Charlie!)

250348.jpg

This is my nod to "Pimp My Ride"--aluminum diamond plate floor boards! Looks great with all that red.

250349.jpg

As with most of these old Cubs, my trunnion definitely needed some work. We welded in the appropriate piece and I installed new springs and washers. The surprise was that the Damper Plate was rusted tight to the trunnion shaft and therefore wasn't really doing anything. It was an epic pain in the butt getting that thing off!!!! I'm interested to see how much of a change it will have with everything working as it should!

Next up--Stickers and final assembly
biggrin.gif
bouncy.gif
dizzy.gif

Joshua, That red sure looks good. Looking at all your posts, do you realize its been a year and a half! That tractor should last a life time now that everything is fixed up like new.

Melody--I keep reminding myself of that! The picture of my son sitting in the little walker just above where I'm typing keeps this in perspective. He now is walking, talking, and on his way to bigger and better things! My life is busy
1a_violin.gif
but I guess I'm just tenacious enough to see a project like this through to completion! It is soooo awesome to see this thing finished! The red really is sharp. I can't wait to get working with this thing, although I'm not looking forward to the wear scuffs and scratches
a_weep.gif
!!

To bring it down the home stretch my cousin Mike did the decal application!

250579.jpg

Mike used a special decal solution that gave him the flexibility to get the decal placed right where it needed to be.

250580.jpg

Once it was set and all the solution was squeezed out and the decal was smooth, then the protective strip was removed.

250581.jpg

For me, the finished look was stunning!!! I couldn't get the fender unit and accessories on fast enough then! I had finally reached the end and I was going to stop until it was fully assembled. I know many of you may have thought that this project was dead after all this time. However, I meant to see it through and I/we made it. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way and those who have encouraged me to keep at it.

250582.jpg

This isn't a trailer queen though. I plan to use it regularly. I'm looking forward to finishing this thread over the next year with pictures of the various tasks that I use this tractor to accomplish. After all the work and effort, I can respect and see why those that go to these lengths don't want to work their machines. That isn't in the cards for the Cubbie. It is too great a tractor to just sit under a tarp!

250583.jpg

We pulled out my cousin's finished 226 and took these pics. The two of us rebuilt these tractors nearly simultaneously! And they were finished within a couple weeks of each other.

250584.jpg

Yes , I will certainly take care of the Cubbie and give it a good home but it will be used as it was intended. After all, it was THE standard in Garden Tractors for 19 years. This is number 674XXX in just under 19 years of production!!! Long live the IH Cub Cadet!

250585.jpg

"The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul..."

Great job Joshua!

I'm not much of a "red" cubber but that is now one sweet 682.

It's also time to be looking for the next refurb.

Great job on your tractor. I like the vivid red on those tractors.

Latest posts

Back