• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Techie Talk

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I didn't think about visitors not being able to view profiles. I'll wait until the user pops in here before I spill it.

bouncy.gif

So I've hacked a few Motorolas in the past few years
wink.gif

As I told the gent at AT&T when I picked up my latest phone - I'd have the warranty voided by the end of the day
biggrin.gif

Bryan:
I cheated - I let my 16 year old grandson lead the way (he got the same Verizon V3M). I let him discover all the tools and unlock his, then let him show grandpa the way......and let him laugh while I was trying to follow his instructions. Then, I showed him some tricks.....Nice of Verizon to lock out basic features so they can sell 'em to ya..

Anyone else install FireFox 3.0 ??
Anyone else having site load problems now ??
explotar2jr.gif

Ken,
I installed 3.0 a month or so ago....Never had any issues out of the ordinary yet...Other than a few of my favorite add-ons dont work with 3.0 yet...

What kind of issues are you having?

Oh, this is with Vista...(Which I'm just getting used to...I knew I'd hate it, too)

Going to a new site/page, the initial load is delayed by 5-15 seconds...This is on broadband w/a 2.1 gig Athlon - XP SP3 box w/Symantec ....Last 2.x version was working fine just prior to the upgrade.. I think I'll wait before updating the other 5 boxes..... Seems to work fine other than the initial delay.

IE7 still working fine here - no virii, trojans, spyware or any other malware.
wink.gif

People like to blame the browser or OS when it's actually the L-user's poor habits that cause the problems.

Oh boy, some Nigerian's gonna give me 6000000USD if I just send him my SSN...

IE7 seems OK here also, as does FF 2.0.0.14 .. (back revd..). Strange issue with FF 3 - I shut down the firewall and AV to make sure it wasn't an interaction there - no joy. Not sure which poor habit might have brought this on - maybe checking this forum??
biggrin.gif

Ken
Are you using any add-ons, extensions, plug-ins or themes with 3.0?
If so, might try disabling them all to see if that helps. If so, then enable one at a time to see which one(s) might be causing a slow-down. Take a look at the support page for 3.0, Known Issues...It mentions a few things in there to look at.

And, actually, I just remembered there IS one issue I have with 3.0...I found out if you browse any sites that use HTML referrals, you will have issues...I havent been able to figure out how to get around that yet..

Art:
Yeah - tried that right away - thought it might be the Google tool bar.. I want to strip the entire installation out and start over, but haven't figured out how to get bookmarks and passwords out of the profile without the custom settings also (I want to default ALL settings without going into the advanced "about:configure" - almost as bad as Regedit..)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm open to all of 'em

Hmmmmm .... problems w/FF made me go look at the new Opera - they fixed the problem in the last release (they were following HTML coding conventions rigidly and some pages displayed center justified rather than left due to the page code not following standards explicitly <font size="-2">.......including my favorite site</font>). Seems pretty fast - but no spell checker..
err.gif

Problem fixed...MY ISP's DNSs seem to be flaky - Running a stream of 100 pings against either of them showed a dropout of between 5 and 15%.. I sent them an inquiry this afternoon, everything seems happy tonight.... Not sure why the new FF seemed more sensitive to this than the old, but Opera definitely seemed to have fewer problems and so did IE 7.

Bryan - if you were setting up a redundant DNS service, would you put all of your DNS servers on the same subnet?? (I'm betting the boxes even set next to each other, share the same power supply and probably get patched at exactly the same time too..)
groupwave.gif
bash.gif

Kendell -

If they were to be redundant, you're correct, I would have them on separate subnets or hell, on separate class-whatevers on separate lines, etc. Like you say, different data centers, etc.

Heck, when I first started at my current employer, the HP cluster's redundant power supplies were all plugged into the same UPS. Duh...

Got an e-mail from my ISP this AM confirming they had a DNS problem last week. It apparently started in the same time frame that I went to FF3.. Weird thing is - FF2, Opera 9.5 and IE7 all seemed more forgiving of the problem than FF3 was. The other interesting thing is - I Googled a number of phrases looking for any signs that other folks were having problems and struck it rich on "FF3 S..cks", with many people complaining about slow loads, odd rendering, etc. I'm going to try a parallel install (if possible) and see if I can do a direct comparison of FF2 and 3....

In the Data Center I managed (large) it was always enlightening to find the latest "Single Point of Failure" after spending big bucks on redundancy...somehow, I don't miss those days..
coffee.gif

Kendell-

I've already been running a parallell install of FF2 & 3, since right after installing 3.
There were a couple extensions I've been using right along with 2, for a couple sites I frequent, and which arent updated for 3.0 yet.
So, I had to install 2 again...
bash.gif

Anyway, there dont seem to be any issues running both.
OTHER than you cant have both open at the same time, and of course, you need seperate program icons to open them
They keep bookmarks separate, yet you'll get notices to check extension/theme/addons updates when you switch between 2 & 3. I think they share extensions and themes.
I'm using a NASA NightLaunch theme, and when I reinstalled 2, the theme came up automatically laid out just like I had it set for 3.

Brendan:
One of the issues I've seen is how many open "threads" is set in the FF browser settings - I had set mine up waaaay too high and noticed that the browser would refresh the page without loading all of the images. When I went to FF3, it got worse. It seemed especially prone to doing it on the Forum's pages and I figured that it was just too many open threads for this particular server.. I saw it on several other sites also, along with the other issues I've mentioned.. I back revved to FF2.14 and am waiting for the first update (supposedly was due out on the 16th) before I go to 3 again..

Ok, thanks Kendall. How do I go about adjusting that...or can I ? So far I haven't run into any of the problems I've read about. This afternoon is the first time it's done this.

If it's a one time thing, I'd leave it alone. I got the settings from one of those article on "fixing up" FF and I suspect my installation of FF3 inherited some of the 2.14 settings. Maybe Kraig was right - the server hamsters needed feeding......

Back