• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Member - Dan Stoner - Cub 102

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My optimism of getting my 102 running has turned to disappointment. Today I took the spark plug out and hand turned the flywheel, watching for the piston to move. It didn't! I'm not sure how much movement there normally is, but I didn't see any movement. I did hear some movement from within, like movement of the rod but I can't be sure. I guess I'm now looking at taking the engine out. I'm going to need advice on how to go about this. I also have no idea where to take the engine for repairs. My skills are limited. I'm located in central Pa., not sure where to turn.

Stick a long wooden dowel rod in the spark hole. See if it moves up and down. Or shine a flashlight in the hole and watch for movement.

The spark plug hole is not over the piston, it is over the valve area, pull the head, gotta clean the carbon anyway...
For Sale Pics 2430.jpg

Take the muffler off, put your hand over the hole and turn the crank. You should be able to feel some compression.
If you just want to get it running, work on getting fire to the plug first. Then work on getting gas to the plug. That should start it.
Once you get it running, then you can do other things to it. Like cleaning the carbon as Lewis said (requires new head gasket), new plug, new plug wire, new fuel filter, rebuild the carb., etc. Just depends on how much you want to spend on it.

in my somewhat limited experience i have found the ignition switch to be the culprit a few times. at least 3 that i can think of. it is easy enough to check. if you don't have 12v at the + side of the coil with the key on then check the connections inside the dash. you can rig in a toggle switch in place of the ignition switch to get by until you get the old one working or replaced.

theres a lot of info on youtube for troubleshooting the spark in these things. the wiring is actually very simple. there are good wiring diagrams on this site as well. almost all of the ones i have bought have butchered wiring harnesses as well. this can lead to a lot of problems. its a good idea to pull all the connections one at a time and clean or reterminate them. if the harness is a real mess you can buy a new one for around 100 bucks or make one yourself.

What should I use to loosen the carbon deposits?
I use easy-off oven cleaner, and a brass cleaning brush. Make sure you are very careful when cleaning the top of the piston. Make sure you don't leave carbon between the top of the piston, and the bore. Heavy carbon deposits can scratch the bore or piston. Cleanliness is next to godliness.

I use easy-off oven cleaner, and a brass cleaning brush. Make sure you are very careful when cleaning the top of the piston. Make sure you don't leave carbon between the top of the piston, and the bore. Heavy carbon deposits can scratch the bore or piston. Cleanliness is next to godliness.
When reassembling the head, is it important to put the bolts back in the same holes? I was planning on making a template of the head gasket to organize the bolts until I reassemble.

Yes, I would. Also, run a die down the bolt threads, and a tap in the block to ensure accurate torque readings. Also, the torques sequence is as important as the actual torque spec. A lot of guys check the head for flatness while it is off to ensure sealing.

I would not. I use only new engine oil. Coat the threads in oil, then torque initially at 15 ft-lbs, then go back and retorque to 30 ft-lbs.

It won't matter if the bolts go back in the same holes. If it did, there would be something in the manual about it. They all need to be clean and in good condition, but of course any studs and/or different length bolts need to go back where they came from.

Anti-seize is fine on the threads. I have used it for many years with no issues. This is an application that product is meant for. Don't forget to retorque the head (after the engine cools) after the first 30 minutes of run time.

They are a crap shoot. If you get a good one, it will work. If you get a bad one, it will never run right. The quality is worse than the original carbs regardless. What is wrong with your current one? Isn't much that cannot be fixed. I would get a good used carb to rebuild before rolling the dice on an aftermarket one.

They are a crap shoot. If you get a good one, it will work. If you get a bad one, it will never run right. The quality is worse than the original carbs regardless. What is wrong with your current one? Isn't much that cannot be fixed. I would get a good used carb to rebuild before rolling the dice on an aftermarket one.
I'm a rookie at this. I know nothing about rebuilding a carb. Original carb is really gummed up. It has sat for 30+ years. Local Cub dealer wants $100 to rebuild it. I just replaced the key switch and I now have power to starter. With carb off, I got it to fire by using starting fluid. Now I need a working carb to get it running.

Latest posts

Back