• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1210 Electrical Issues, Kohler Command 12

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottpelak76

Howdy Gang.
Just purchased a 1210. It would not start at the seller's house so we jumped the solenoid and we did get it running after a few shots of ether.
I wanted to get it going once I got home to double-check the drive and make sure my time and energy would be worth it. We jiggled everything on the tractor to get it to fire and the motor sounded really good, no smoke, no leaks (at sellers).

Well, after monkeying around and bypassing safeties, I installed a push button under the new-key switch.
It runs direct to the battery and starter solenoid. She turns and turns but no spark.

My question is... is there a quick and dirty way to get this thing going so I can test the drive and then start the tear down?

Thanks for your help!

Howdy Gang.
Just purchased a 1210. It would not start at the seller's house so we jumped the solenoid and we did get it running after a few shots of ether.
I wanted to get it going once I got home to double-check the drive and make sure my time and energy would be worth it. We jiggled everything on the tractor to get it to fire and the motor sounded really good, no smoke, no leaks (at sellers).

Well, after monkeying around and bypassing safeties, I installed a push button under the new-key switch.
It runs direct to the battery and starter solenoid. She turns and turns but no spark.

My question is... is there a quick and dirty way to get this thing going so I can test the drive and then start the tear down?

Thanks for your help!
What's the serial #? There's 3 options.
1694055560466.png

If the new key switch is wired correctly and it was in the Run position when you cranked the motor, it should start.
I've had new 'direct replacement' key switches be totally disconnected internally.

Disconnect the engine harness from the rest of the tractor and see if it starts. The 1986-89 1210 should have a Kohler 12HP Magnum flat head K series derative originally. They use a kill circuit to the magneto to ground out the magneto and thus shutting off the engine.

If you have a 1985 1210, those are a Kohler K321 with points.

Howdy Gang.

Thanks for your help!
Scott, the key in off position grounds the coil..can't spark..look at 1811 thoughts

Got a pic of the engine in your tractor? It came with either a Kohler K301 or M12, but not a Command.

Disconnect the engine harness from the rest of the tractor and see if it starts. The 1986-89 1210 should have a Kohler 12HP Magnum flat head K series derative originally. They use a kill circuit to the magneto to ground out the magneto and thus shutting off the engine.

If you have a 1985 1210, those are a Kohler K321 with points.
This has the mag, it is the latest run of 1210 built.

Here is where I am at now. I am not giving up because my wife tells me I take on stressful jobs only to hurt myself. lol.
I intend to make this a county-fair worthy tractor if it kills me. :)
I have the latest 1210. To begin with, I recently purchased this unit. Only 500 hours. It looks it. Dash is pristine, has all the original stickers, etc... and no squirrels nests of hacked wires. I installed a push-button to over-ride the solenoid wire with a brand-new solenoid, 3 post. This helped to eliminate all the safeties. I also added 12V to the black-wire that goes through the charge gauge, so we have 12V at the key switch (new key switch, identical to the original).
The tractor turns but has no spark. What else could I be missing that might be stopping the spark from occuring?

BINGO, 1811Cub you know your stuff! Pulled the engine off the harness and boom! Purred like a little CUB~!
Appreciate the help! I have a 44" cutting deck, and the Rotary Tiller Model One. I won't use the tiller, it's off already, will keep the rear gear/pulley deal on it in case I ever want a rear powered implement again. If your in FL and need the tiller, look me up.
I will post some pics as things progress. 400.00 worth of Chevron rubber on my front porch already!71555017398--D4375872-BCB9-4C1B-BAEB-8E20D7FC409E.jpgIMG-4112.jpgIMG-4113.jpgIMG-4114.jpg

Latest posts

Back