• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Member - Dan Stoner - Cub 102

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Stoner

Just pulled my Dad's IH Cub 102 out of storage for the first time in 30+ years. Just starting to try to give it some life.
The key is broke off in the switch but I can still turn it with a screwdriver. I installed new battery, turned the switch and nothing.
Not sure where to begin. If I can get it to turn over I could check for spark. Should I replace the switch?
Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0156.JPG

Just pulled my Dad's IH Cub 102 out of storage for the first time in 30+ years. Just starting to try to give it some life.
The key is broke off in the switch but I can still turn it with a screwdriver. I installed new battery, turned the switch and nothing.
Not sure where to begin. If I can get it to turn over I could check for spark. Should I replace the switch?
Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 152910
First thing to do is use your handy dandy 12 volt tester and see where you have and don't have power. Then clean up all the electrical connections, especaily the grounds.

Dan, consider it hasn't turned in 30 yrs ...The rings might be rusted in place ,as well as other possibles..I would start by removing plug and adding a few squirts of oil.Then check clutch to be sure it's disengaging by operating pedal, be sure gearshift is in neutral.You should be able to turn by hand the front pulley.If it turns,great.If it doesn't perhaps valves have rusted stems.You could rock engine by putting visegrips on drive shaft.The last thing you should do at this point is try to start it. Oil needs to be changed, carb needs to come apart,any liquid in fuel system needs to be removed,wiring needs to be checked for insulation deterioration. If/when you get it turning easily get back with us and we (many experts) can walk you thru the rest of the system ....Be aware the shrouding is probably packed with mouse donations.. It certainly looks like a great candidate for refurbing

I was able to turn the front pulley without taking the spark plug out. It turns freely with very little compression, so I figure I have a stuck valve open. I have removed the fuel tank and taken it to a local radiator shop for cook out and refurbishing the interior to prevent rust. Tank will also be painted. My next step was to add some Blaster to the cylinder to try to release stuck valve. Really didn't want to get ahead too far without knowing if I can get spark. I have no intention of trying to fire it up until carb and fuel system can be cleaned. I would really be happy if I could get some life out of the electrical system.

I would both replace the key switch, and pull the cylinder head to see what is really going on in there. Cleaning the carbon from the combustion chamber/top of the piston is a normal maintenance chore than few do anyway.

I would both replace the key switch, and pull the cylinder head to see what is really going on in there. Cleaning the carbon from the combustion chamber/top of the piston is a normal maintenance chore than few do anyway.
What would be the torque lbs when I put it back together?

What would be the torque lbs when I put it back together?
I would then also need a new head gasket. I think this will come later once I get electric working. Do you know if the wiring harness is available new? Mine is all there but it would be good to know if it's still available if needed later.

hdtrque3.gif

25-30 ft.lbs

KH-47-041-15 is the OEM head gasket part number. Can be readily had for $20. These are better than aftermarket. You will need to retorque the head bolts after a few hours of run time.

The service manual is also a free download from Kohler's website. It contains the torque spec and a lot of other info you will need to maintain the engine.

Dan ,I guess you probably should pull head if you think a valve is stuck...Getting spark is not complicated if you have good components..clean points (or replace) ,new condenser and good coil..it's all pretty basic...stay in touch...we like to help...

You don't have to replace the key switch. Just get a fine pick or two, and dig the piece of key out. You could also take the switch out and try tapping it on a piece of wood, and see if the key would fall out. A replacement key would be a lot cheaper and easier to find than a switch.
I doubt if a factory wiring harness is available. You can find aftermarket ones if you don't want to make one yourself. There are also wiring diagrams available on this site. The colored ones redone by Roland Bedell are great to use. (5th thread down under the cub cadet tractor forum thread) :bluethumbsup:

New key switches IH-60736-C3 or IH-60736-C2 are everywhere, either aftermarket or OEM ranging in price from $20-$70. Considering the age and the likelihood that there are suspect contacts in that switch, it might not be a bad time just to replace it. A new key IH-382458-R1 is around $4.

Dan,I have to agree with 1811.If the key was turned hard enough to break that's probably a clue. but.. pay serious attention to where wires go and the condition of same.I just rewired a 106 only 2 wires had no exposed copper,all the rest were breaking apart,..It's over 50 yrs old...If you're up to it you can replace 1 wire at a time by following each...yea, it's a pain...

Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 152910
Welcome aboard from southeast PA

Back