• FIRST AND LAST NAMES ARE REQUIRED WHEN REGISTERING
  • This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

    Sign up here: https://www.ihcubcadet.com/account/upgrades

Cub 147 Electric Lift possible switch issue?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbratton

Well-known member
IHCC Supporter
Joined
Dec 6, 2018
Messages
400
displayname
Justin Bratton
Getting my 147 ready for snow removal duty. Front push blade installed. Practice run using the electric lift….up, down, up, down, up…..then…nothing. Switch stopped working. Turned the ignition key off. Waited about 5 mins. Turned the ignition key to ‘on’ and tried the lift switch again….it worked..up, down, up…then immediately stopped again. Thought maybe battery was low. Ran the tractor for a while. (20 mins.) tried the electric lift again. It worked for a short time. Like 30 seconds then stopped.
Newer wiring harness installed. Tried two different electric lifts. Newer electric lift switch. Gots me stumped boys.
 
Sounds like the Electric Lift Assembly is drawing too much Amerage, getting hot, then stops working until it cools down. There could be two or more possibilities. (A) The motor is drawing too much amperage from an internal wiring issue or dry bearings, (B) The Switch has poor internal contacts or under rated (15A Minimum), and lastly, possibly a poor wiring harness issue.
 
Sounds like the Electric Lift Assembly is drawing too much Amerage, getting hot, then stops working until it cools down. There could be two or more possibilities. (A) The motor is drawing too much amperage from an internal wiring issue or dry bearings, (B) The Switch has poor internal contacts or under rated (15A Minimum), and lastly, possibly a poor wiring harness issue.
I’m thinking a bad switch. One electric lift I have has been rebuilt about 3 years ago, and has been used very little.
 
More like a Wiring Harness issue between the Directional Switch and the motor. It should be 14GA wire.
Newer wiring harness. Purchased thru CCS.

Something I was thinking about. In the recent past, I let the tractor run out of fuel and left the key in the ‘on’ position for about 45mins-hour. The coil was hot to the touch and the S/G was warm.
Could I have damaged anything? Would this be related to my issue?
 
I had this type of issue on my old 147 and it was a loose connection where the harness plugged into the motor.
 
Newer wiring harness. Purchased thru CCS.


Could I have damaged anything? Would this be related to my issue?
Leaving key could toast the Ignition Coil, but should have NO effect on the Lift Motor.
 
Check that connections are clean and making good contact.
 
A few more suggestions:
Are you sure the S/G is charging the battery? Check your battery voltage.
Could be a weak battery.
Check the voltage while working the switch, and see how much voltage drop you have.
I have often seen batteries have good voltage until a load was put on them, then the voltage dropped considerably.
 
Sounds like a weak ground to me.

A few more suggestions:
Are you sure the S/G is charging the battery? Check your battery voltage.
Could be a weak battery.
Check the voltage while working the switch, and see how much voltage drop you have.
I have often seen batteries have good voltage until a load was put on them, then the voltage dropped considerably.
I’ll do some checking guys. Thanks for your input
 
There is a thermal switch in side the top part of that motor where the brushes are located.
Mine used to do that all the time when snow plowing it was a very frustrating. A friend who also has a 147 told me about the thermal switch. You have to take the motor apart and do away with that switch. Did mine years ago has never quit again.
 
There is a thermal switch in side the top part of that motor where the brushes are located.
Mine used to do that all the time when snow plowing it was a very frustrating. A friend who also has a 147 told me about the thermal switch. You have to take the motor apart and do away with that switch. Did mine years ago has never quit again.
Okay, thank you. I’ll look for that thermal switch.
 
There is a thermal switch in side the top part of that motor where the brushes are located.
Mine used to do that all the time when snow plowing it was a very frustrating. A friend who also has a 147 told me about the thermal switch. You have to take the motor apart and do away with that switch. Did mine years ago has never quit again.
Is this the thermal switch?
885AD9DC-1DAC-4B7A-AB5F-7559E3F58998.jpeg
89C39F9E-379C-4D94-A46A-177A50A77DB1.jpeg
 
Back
Top