• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

electric lift issue maybe not

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Black

ok this is new to me electric any lift lol ... so i have a 147. i hooked the lift up as per the schematic. seems ok .. but then i start up the tractor and the lift stoped working..
i tic the lift switch and the lift bumped. stoped. wait for a few it seems to work then...
also when hooked right to battery. does same thing. bump stop bump stop . then after few mins of motor running its fine

iam asking is there something inside the lift motor stopping it from working till a voltage is seen that its set for.. say 13 volts .. or X volts..

ok this is new to me electric any lift lol ... so i have a 147. i hooked the lift up as per the schematic. seems ok .. but then i start up the tractor and the lift stoped working..
i tic the lift switch and the lift bumped. stoped. wait for a few it seems to work then...
also when hooked right to battery. does same thing. bump stop bump stop . then after few mins of motor running its fine

iam asking is there something inside the lift motor stopping it from working till a voltage is seen that its set for.. say 13 volts .. or X volts..
You didn't mention if it went in and out or just the motor was running.
If it moves a little in or out and stops, that means the gears have an issue.

You didn't mention if it went in and out or just the motor was running.
If it moves a little in or out and stops, that means the gears have an issue.
not gear issue... the motor isnt even starting ... once it seems to hit a X voltage. its fine up and down. no strip gear no gear issue.
its voltage issue i think.
its lifting a snowblower with no issues

Clean connections? Can the internal switch contacts be corroded?

Ken, it does sound like an electrical flow problem. I think you are on target there.

Here is a photo of one of those switches just caught and brought in from the wild:

3E5DBD0D-EAF9-4F4F-AE75-A51B8F50C3F8.png

Are your male spade terminals on the switch cleaned (blue arrows)?
Do you have good crimp contact on your new female spade terminals?
Are ALL of the grounds clean?
What do you think happens inside the switch body (green circle) in 40 years?
Does anybody know if we can get contact cleaner inside of a switch? ...or if we should try?
What is the output of your S/G?

Last edited:
brand new on off on switch . not the factory style. i have many and they all work fine. all new wire harness. 2nd built 2nd tractor. i wiggle the wires no change. all new female spades and tighted. loop wire ends soldered on ends of wires on switch. screw tight. not spades. only orig contacts left are the plug itself off the motor. sanded the male spades inside of it. wired as per orig schematic and right to battery. no change all ends soldered on to wires

iam just goin to pull the motor apart and see what is on the top end. it works fine after the battery gets to X voltage. has to be something in there

Ken, it does sound like an electrical flow problem. I think you are on target there.

Here is a photo of one of those switches just caught and brought in from the wild:

View attachment 146182

Are your male spade terminals on the switch cleaned (blue arrows)?
Do you have good crimp contact on your new female spade terminals?
Are ALL of the grounds clean?
What do you think happens inside the switch body (green circle) in 40 years?
Does anybody know if we can get contact cleaner inside of a switch? ...or if we should try?
What is the output of your S/G?

Tired brushes in the motor?
Possibly.. Brushes a little sticky in their mounts keeping them from riding easily on the stator
i would agree if it did it alllllll the time... but once the battery gets to X voltage its fine.
where abouts in northern ny... ? iam on the big lake.

Ken, do you have measurements of this X voltage? Possibly an over/under?

Why do you think your tractor puts out varying voltage?
Roasted bushings, and tired old grease (stickiness) at the ends of the motor, or in the brush passages could make it sluggish to start, but run fine once moving.

Have you made any progress on peeking in the motor?

Ken, do you have measurements of this X voltage? Possibly an over/under?

Why do you think your tractor puts out varying voltage?
Roasted bushings, and tired old grease (stickiness) at the ends of the motor, or in the brush passages could make it sluggish to start, but run fine once moving.

Have you made any progress on peeking in the motor?
yeah i had the motor apart. its all clean inside brushs are in good shape over all. i cleaned the com. brushs move free. use to race RC cars with the same style motors. so very use to dealing with these types of motors. had a com cutter for them and all that stuff dynos and such .. there is a board in the top with what looks like some sort of switch. no idea. never seen it before . even in the repairing old radios and tinking with electronics.

ill just have to live with it. for some reason i cant get a good voltage reading with my meters no idea why on that one. i do need to get a analog meter someday.

Back