• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

New Member - Dan Stoner - Cub 102

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 102 tank should look a lot like this:

DSCF0441.JPG

I think he's talking about the nipple that goes between the tank and sediment bowl. The answer is "tight enough". I'd reccomend some fuel-compatible non-hardening sealant like RectorSeal #5.

I did what was suggested, put some sealant on the threads and tightened. Added gas, no leaks, fired up with very little smoke. I was very surprised and happy. This 102 hadn't been fired for over 30 years. I'm still working on it. I now notice the bolt is broke off that holds the generator onto it's bracket. I need to find someone to drill it out and tap it for me. I'll up date with pictures soon. Thank You Everyone!

I now have a gas leak at the shut off valve. With the valve all the way open, it doesn't leak, but with it closed, it drips.
Can this valve be replaced or repaired?

Dan, the nut is where the valve stem goes thru into the valve...The original packing that was in there is probably worn out,or missing....finding valve packing can be challenging today...I found some at a hardware store...put packing in carefully and tighten the nut to push it in,a small amount at a time...

I think my Dad caught his 124 on fire with a leaky sediment bowl. Take care of it before it becomes a bigger problem.

Dan, the nut is where the valve stem goes thru into the valve...The original packing that was in there is probably worn out,or missing....finding valve packing can be challenging today...I found some at a hardware store...put packing in carefully and tighten the nut to push it in,a small amount at a time...
Yes, the packing nut is there. Now dumb question, does the valve come out when I unscrew the nut? With the valve all the way open, it is tight and doesn't leak. When I turn it in to close it, it is very loose. Do I have to unscrew the valve to get it out or does it just pull out when I loosen the nut?
Sorry for my ignorance on this.

Yes, the packing nut is there. Now dumb question, does the valve come out when I unscrew the nut? With the valve all the way open, it is tight and doesn't leak. When I turn it in to close it, it is very loose. Do I have to unscrew the valve to get it out or does it just pull out when I loosen the nut?
Sorry for my ignorance on this.
I'll have to empty the gas tank as well. There is no shutoff at the tank.

Dan, it depends on the valve..some screw all the way out...some just pull out with the packing nut...depends on where the threads are inside...the valve is your shut off....yes drain the tank....it isn't complicated at all but getting small amounts of packing in is a bit of a pain...It has to be wrapped tight to get it started in.....might be easier to unbolt the tank to work on it...

As already said tightening up the nut will often stop the leak. They are made to do that. If the packing is shot yes loosen the nut and may have to unscrew the valve to push the packing out. There is a shut off, the leaky sediment bowl valve is it. So yes you will have to empty the tank first because your working on the shut off.

Latest posts

Back