• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

My new 1572 diesel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 44c with Gators on the 582 and Peco vac, 54GT under the Super 782 (Gators), 54ZTR version on the 365L (high lifts), and a 60 under the 2072/982 Special.......I quit looking for decks.... I'm stocked with good ones!!!!!!

So I'm mowing along last night in some pretty tall grass. Blowing black smoke every now and then, but I tried not to go too fast. Then I noticed the temp was high. Should I be concerned about this?
314252.jpg

I stopped and took off the side shields and continued to mow. Throttled down a little, but I don't think it helped much in the thick heavy grass. Once I went somewhere else and mowed the not so heavy grass it cooled down fine. Is this just a coincidence or what? Could the water pump be going out? Last fall before winter storage I checked the coolant and it was fine. The outside temperature was a nice 72 degrees or so. (sorry charlie)
I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Thanks in advance guys!
thumbsup.gif

Shultzie,
My 782D started doing that this winter.
I found the water level was down about 1 pint.
While I had it open, I pulled the thermostat to check it, and sure enough, it was weak.
I added water, changed the stat and all is good again.

Those D-600's only run well under WOT, I learned that a LONG time ago.

Thanks Charlie.
I'll check it out tonight when I get home. It was getting late last night to check anything after having to wait to let it cool.
So where is the thermostat?
1a_scratchhead.gif

roflol.gif
Well that's the first place I was gonna look. But I thought I would ask just in case these foreign diesels were goofy.

I have learned that drilling a 1/8" hole anywhere around this area really does help with overheating. If you replace the t-stat you may find that it already has this hole in. If not be sure to add it as it does help quite a bit.
314256.jpg

Hole is indicated by blue paint mark

My 1572 really responded to a new water pump. When the old one went (bearing), I replaced with an OEM unit and saw an immediate improvement. It can idle for long periods of time at 180 deg. Pulling the 2 bottom plow in fall weather at 7/8 throttle and 5-6 psi of boost kept it under 230 degrees.......not bad for a postage stamp radiator on a turned up turbo under one hell of a sustained load.

I'm convinced water pumps are part of the D600 cooling issue.....

I used it to spot spray the property Sunday (80 deg) and it idled around the yard for an hour without ever getting hot, of course no load either....

Steve, that is another good point. The water pump is a good solution as well. The 1572 seemed to be the model that suffered the overheat issue the worst. The 1772 had a deeper radiator to help with the heat.

When I look at the fan design, I think there is plenty of room for a better one, don't you? It is a cost effective design for sure, but how efficient is it?? If anyone has experimented with an alternate fan I would love to hear it. (Hint: thinking jd 455 as an example)

I don't see the fan as the issue, it's ducted well and pulls good air........the radiator is just small and I really don't think the D600/640's circulate water well. I was AMAZED at the difference in the water pumps. As Charlie said, on the old water pump it would get over 200 at idle or just off idle, but with the new one, 180, rock solid.

As hard as my plow pulls, I expect it to get hot, especially with the fuel turned to it and the boost on top of that to burn it....but I was very pleased that I could run like I did this fall with it. In the summer I plowed some wheat ground at a show and got it hot, but I was showing off a bit and flogging it.....it won't stay cool at 10 psi sustained boost!!!!! (No Kidding???
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
) But it is manageable around 5-6 psi....doubt it would have been with the old water pump.....it still runs 220-225 under a load at 6 psi...but that's not overheated.

I don't let it get over 230 for fear of cracking a head a the pre-combustion chamber.....

I also don't know how much my louvers help......but they certainly can't hurt the cooling effort!!!!!

314277.jpg

I bet the louvers do help. Part of effective cooling in this sort of installation is to get the bad air OUT of the engine compartment. It doesn't matter how large the radiator is or how much air the fan moves if it's trying to blow all the hot air out of a coffee stirrer. With no louvers or those slots in the side panels the later ones had, the air has to come out the bottom of the tractor and the dash.

Maybe we need to open up the hoods like a 5088....a couple nice big screens, one on each side of the hood pointer!

Just looked at the water level and it does look low.
I've been busier that a cat trying to cover $h!t on a marble floor this week, so I haven't had much time to mess with it. I do plan on checking the thermostat later this week.
Thanks for all the input guys!
buttrock.gif

I found that the top 1 1/2" of the radiator is a dead zone for air movement because of the cross brace.
It really shows up after running in dust / grass. I am planning a tweaked version to gain that valuable cooling real estate.
On the tear down of my D600 after I seized it @ 790 hours freshly turbulated....I was disturbed by the amount of sediment in the lower hose and the drain on the block was completely blocked off.
*My new water pump had to be machined, right out of the box to pit properly. There is A LOT of variances on the quality / fit on these.

I agree with Rick on good clean antifreeze in the system. My radiator was boiled out just before I bought the tractor, so I knew it was in good shape, but as stated below, these things do seem to have "poor circulation".

This might be all snake oil, but I added some "Water Wetter" or "Wetter Water", whatever the brand name is for the pink additive that the parts stores sell when I refilled my system with new Prestone 50/50 pre-mix........help?????? hurt??????....do I feel better about it....Yes??????

Steve - there's actually good sound science supporting Water Wetter helping cool engines. It wets out better, higher specific heat, and I think it increases the lubricity of the coolant cto lube the water pump seal and bearing too.

Something else that would help is FleetRite Diesel Coolant Additive, DCA-4, same stuff Ford recommends for PSD's. Smallest container is a pint which treats about 2 gallons of coolant.

My PSD is 21 years old here in about 2 months, DCA-4 has kept the inside of the cooling system as clean as the outside of the truck. Think Ford called it FW-15.

Hey I need some help here.
When adding the Cat-0 three point hitch & rear PTO to my 1572 is it just basically a bolt on and hook up the electric part?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back