• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

GROUND UP RESTO ON 128

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlbryant

displayname
Travis Bryant
Hello everyone,
I am new the cub cadet scene, my friends dad has a huge collection of vintage cubs and that is it all it took to peek my interest. I purchased an old beat up 128 for $100 from a co-worker. I am going to restore it from the ground up no bolt or nut left unchecked. I joined this forum in the hopes of finding tips, tricks, parts etc. Any information would be helpful... I will post pics soon

Travis, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

One suggestion is to take LOTS of photos along the way, they are useful for putting things back together properly and it's nice to look back at the before photos. Be sure to check out the Manuals section at the bottom of the main page.

Travis Welcome and you bought your self a well made machine and one from IMHO the best series of cubs.

Go over to the main forum and ask questions if you need help.

We love pictures here and the sponser can help with ANY part you will need

I would make a list of the parts as you remove them. Write down the size and length of the bolts as well as the type of washers and the mark on the head of the bolts. I will make putting it back together a lot easier and take the guess work out of most of the re-assembely

Travis B - hey, welcome to the IH CC Forum. You found the best spot ever for your restoration information. Can't wait to see pics of your 128. I suppose for $100 I shouldn't expect to see to much. Hope it does run - that would give you an advantage. Now, not yet seeing your unit, I gotta warn ya that most of us have decided 1 just ain't enough. Ya might even start looking for a comparable unit which could make it awhole lot easier to get one done, especially if you can find another one for $100. Post us those pics as soon as you can. Will you be getting additional advice from your friends Dad or is this completely on your own?

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I will try to get pics up on here soon. No the tractor did not run, has a good size gash in the side of the block which was a big bummer. Can anyone tell me if there is a indentification plate on the mower decks from the 60's and 70's? I would like to try and find some of the parts that are missing and replace the busted up cast iron nose piece.

Travis the bad news is the engine is toast.. the balance gears let loose and left the gash. Good news you can find a replacement engine to spec fairly easy.

Nose cone and other things are available too.

the deck id should have a metal tag if not maybe some pictures for us..

Dont give up on him.

OK...I try to show you guys pictures and when I hit upload it does not do anything. Any advice?

This response is for Harry....I already have my next model figured out but i am cramped for space. I need to get the 128 back together to free up some space and once that is done I am going to get either an original, 70 or 100. I love the style and the look those old beauties have about them with the round fenders and so on. I would say that will be a while unless I stumble onto a deal of a lifetime. I am hoping that since becoming a part of this forum it may speed up the process of fixing the one I currently have. Happy wrenching....

Does anyone have a good reference to any Cub Cadet history books. Maybe something that talks about the origination of the cub and cub cadet line, the different models and options available for each? I am very interested in learning all I can about the history of these machines.

Travis,
"Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet", "Farmall Cub And Cub Cadet" both by Ken Updike, "Garden Tractors" and "Cub Cadet the first 45 years" both by Oscar "Hank" Will.

Travis - geez, sorry to hear about the engine. I'd be looking for another 128 or better yet a 129 (bigger number has got to be better right? - hehe, it's the hydro version). I am a little concerned about cost and wondered if you realized how much you may have to put into a non-running unit. I'd keep my eye out for others but make sure you verify cross use of parts.

Hey Harry, your right I have not thought too much about the cost. I am not really all that worried about it either, I am going to take my time and do it right. I am actually looking forward to the adventure and hope I get to spend some quality time with my son. Can anyone help me with resizing my photos so I can start posting them as I go through this restoration?

Travis, Tom,

There is also 50 Years of Cub Cadet, also by Oscar H (Hank) Will III

Travis: Re-sizing picture tricks:

Freeware VuePrint allows you to re-size by specifying size in pixels (and inches, too, I think) and crop.

Windows Paint can re-size photos, you have to enter the dimensions as percentages and/or crop.

There is an application in a Windows add-on called PowerPak (I think) in some versions of Windows that allows you to re-size pictures.

Some people e-mail to themselves

Your camera should have shipped with software

Set the camera resolution to "TV Mode" (640 x 480) and you'll wind up with an image about 100 kilobytes. If you re-size them, keep the height below 600 pixels.

Here are som pics of the tear down of my 128. Let me know what you think and if you have any tips or ideas.

253568.jpg

My son and the tractor when we first got it home.

253569.jpg

253570.jpg

253571.jpg

253572.jpg

253573.jpg

OK...well it is not fomatted how I would have liked but you get the idea..got it home for a little bit of a photo opp and then busted iout the wrenches.....that is pretty much how its sits right now only difference is that the motor is out of the frame. I am concerned about the motor and all the gears since one of the fellas on here said that the balance is what put the crack in the side of the block. I would like to do some research to see if I can use all the insides of the old block and put them in a new one or if i am going to have to get a new crankshaft and gear and the whole 9. Anyway, when I get some more pictures I will post them.

Travis-

That 128 is in great shape for what you paid. The engine looks to be a replacement being black. They came yellow when new. I see you're a welder so you should have a hay-day going through all of the worn areas and there will be several. Marty G. on the forum here refurbed a 128 a couple of years ago and those threads are somewhere on here. He did a very nice job in a short time. My father brought home a 128 in '73 and I still have it but haven't taken the time to go through it yet. I'm sure you will enjoy the time with your son and the both of you will learn quite a bit. It's a great wide frame and well worth the time. You also picked the best site for help so feel free to ask about anything.

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Travis that is a nice 128 to start your collection with..

As wayne said that may already be a second engine to that tractor, I see it has had clutch work done by the red spring, be carefull with the clutch spring, Matt G made a tool for the clutch spring removal here a link it is on his web site

http://mgonitzke.net16.net/

go to the tool tab

Also I can tell its a older cub since the serial tag is on the rearend, here is a link to determine when it was made

https://www.ihcubcadet.com/IHCCFAQ/IH%20LOUISVILLE%20WORKS%20SN.htm

I believe you can find a replacment engine to put in there instead of buying a block and swapping the inards

place an ad in our classifieds and see what happens in my area I would pay 50 to 100 bucks for a running 12 horse k301

Your battery pan looks to be in great shape

Back