• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Vermeer M 147H PTO questions

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryflohr

IHCC Supporter
Happy Independence day to my fellow Patriots.

I have a Vermeer 147H which is a Cub Cadet 147 that Vermeer purchased and added their own equipment. In this case it is a hydraulic trencher. The PTO was disconnected and I am hoping to glean some information from the forum members here. I will include photos so you can better see what I'm inquiring about.

1) First.. the connecting rod from the PTO lever is missing. Can any one tell me the dimensions of the rod and include a photo or two so I can try to duplicate the bends.
2) I see where the "button" is suppose to go. That too is missing. Is the button directly bolted onto the flat lever that activates the PTO? If not, how is it attached?
3) I've watched some videos on YouTube on removing and cleaning the PTO. Would you recommend I to that?

My next step is to get the engine running and make sure I have a functioning powerplant before I proceed much further. So far I have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced points, condenser and spark plug. And I have been testing and replacing worn wiring. The starter/generator does turn over in a bench test.

The shift lever is frozen in the neutral position. What would you suggest I do to free that up? Hopefully it's in the linkage and not in the transmission itself.

I appreciate any suggestions, tips and ideas.

-Terry

Stay strong and may God bless America.

Attachments

• 20230704_105720.jpg
    20230704_105720.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230704_105730.jpg
    20230704_105730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230704_105742.jpg
    20230704_105742.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230704_105746.jpg
    20230704_105746.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230704_105803.jpg
    20230704_105803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I have part 21. It appears I am missing parts 15 and 16. Part 16 might be broken off inside the PTO. I'm in the process of removing the PTO today. I also am missing parts 1, 2, 3 and 23.

It does appear that #15 is broke off part way and the #19 fingers that go into the recess on 15 are rusted off on the ends and likely will not be any good even with a new #15 button ,part 16 just pushes into the hole in #21 and most time only the piece in the hole is left as the pto ate the rest of it !

It does appear that #15 is broke off part way and the #19 fingers that go into the recess on 15 are rusted off on the ends and likely will not be any good even with a new #15 button ,part 16 just pushes into the hole in #21 and most time only the piece in the hole is left as the pto ate the rest of it !
Thank you AB. Are the fingers, part #19, available today or am I wasting my time trying to repair it? Another issue that occurred today is the allen wrench broke off in the last remaining set screw. I'm trying to come up with a plan to remove the broken tool so I can remove the set screw. If I can't get parts I will have to come up with a new plan. Maybe just weld it all together so it's engaged all of the time. The PTO is connected to a hydraulic pump that raises/loweres the trencher. I could probably make the system work even if the pump was engaged full time. I'd rather repair the PTO if the parts are still available.

I appreciate your assistance.

Attachments

• Hydraulic pump (1).jpg
    Hydraulic pump (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Vermeer M147H Trencher.jpg
    Vermeer M147H Trencher.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
It use to be not so long ago one could pick up a good used pto for a reasonable price ,not the case any longer like everything else they want a hefty price for one that needs complete rebuild and the parts to rebuild are getting ridiculous !Rebuilt ones are going for around $ 200 + so once you price the parts and decide if you can/want to do it a rebuilt one may be your answer if the wallet can stand it !I think there must be a barrett jackson for tractors out there that some folks are watching !

All the parts are available. You are not wasting your time repairing it. I would not weld it all together...that is a terrible idea.
Thanks AB. Definitely will rebuild it if I can locate the parts. Can you suggest a seller for parts? I found the buttons and even the linkage on eBay. But not the spring fingers.

CCSpecalities (colorful box up top) should have the parts to rebuild it, or even an already rebuilt one. I think he might even rebuild yours if you send it to him….

Charlie, am I correct on all 3 of these….. LOL

Thank you AB. Are the fingers, part #19, available today or am I wasting my time trying to repair it? Another issue that occurred today is the allen wrench broke off in the last remaining set screw. I'm trying to come up with a plan to remove the broken tool so I can remove the set screw. If I can't get parts I will have to come up with a new plan. Maybe just weld it all together so it's engaged all of the time. The PTO is connected to a hydraulic pump that raises/loweres the trencher. I could probably make the system work even if the pump was engaged full time. I'd rather repair the PTO if the parts are still available.

I appreciate your assistance.
you might be able to get the broke-off allen wrench stub out using a rare-earth “super” magnet. 🧲

i have a few epoxied to short handles, my fave being small ones on a ground-off thumbtack for small stuff and on the fridge to firmly hold the kids’ artwork. 🧲

I have the same machine, although mine was in far better shape than yours I am completely redoing it. If you can find another machine for parts you will be better off as this one looks to have had some serious modifications done to it. So far I have rebuilt the engine and replaced every bearing in the entire machine. Still working on the hydraulic hoses. When I started the machine to check over everything it sheared a key in the angle drive for the trencher, so Back to square one on that. I have had this one for thirty years and have dug many miles of trench with it, it is one darn good machine. Good luck with yours.

CCSpecalities (colorful box up top) should have the parts to rebuild it, or even an already rebuilt one. I think he might even rebuild yours if you send it to him….

Charlie, am I correct on all 3 of these….. LOL
Thank you Snicklas. I'll check them out. Appreciate your help. I'd also like to purchase a repair manual for the 147. I'll check and see if they have a manual also.

you might be able to get the broke-off allen wrench stub out using a rare-earth “super” magnet. 🧲

i have a few epoxied to short handles, my fave being small ones on a ground-off thumbtack for small stuff and on the fridge to firmly hold the kids’ artwork. 🧲
Thank you C3. I'll definitely give that a try.

I have the same machine, although mine was in far better shape than yours I am completely redoing it. If you can find another machine for parts you will be better off as this one looks to have had some serious modifications done to it. So far I have rebuilt the engine and replaced every bearing in the entire machine. Still working on the hydraulic hoses. When I started the machine to check over everything it sheared a key in the angle drive for the trencher, so Back to square one on that. I have had this one for thirty years and have dug many miles of trench with it, it is one darn good machine. Good luck with yours.
Hey.. a fellow trencher! I'll be messaging you for help and ideas if you don't mine kkuhlman. I just purchased this unit a little over a month ago for the sole purpose of trenching about 1300 feet to install fiber optic to my house. I'm hoping I can do it with this machine and then possibly sell it. According to a Vermeer representative they only produced 10 units like mine.. the Vermeer M 147 H. I have the second serial number out of the 10 total. What model do you have? The trencher is definitely rough and missing a few pieces. Would like to get your take on it. You obviously have put a lot of time and miles in on your unit. Thanks for the message K.

Hey.. a fellow trencher! I'll be messaging you for help and ideas if you don't mine kkuhlman. I just purchased this unit a little over a month ago for the sole purpose of trenching about 1300 feet to install fiber optic to my house. I'm hoping I can do it with this machine and then possibly sell it. According to a Vermeer representative they only produced 10 units like mine.. the Vermeer M 147 H. I have the second serial number out of the 10 total. What model do you have? The trencher is definitely rough and missing a few pieces. Would like to get your take on it. You obviously have put a lot of time and miles in on your unit. Thanks for the message K.
Mine is also a 147 h Still looking for the serial number tag, it came off during the restoration and is currently mia. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Mine is also a 147 h Still looking for the serial number tag, it came off during the restoration and is currently mia. I will try to post some pictures soon.
You do realize there were only 10 total of the ""H" model built. We have very rare and unique pieces of equipment. According to the Vermeer rep the serial numbers were #102-111. I have serial number 103.
Definitely would like to see some pictures.

Latest posts

Back