• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Question About Electric PTO Clutch Field Coils

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret McFarland

I finally found a good 982 PTO Clutch (hopefully), the seller claims it works. These are getting rare and new ones or NOS are crazy expensive. This one that I am buying has a field coil that seems well preserved in a layer of grease. The one that I have that is bad -- has a field coil that shows the resin covering over the coil has cracked. So I am assuming the cracks have allowed moisture to enter and corrode the windings and ruin it?

The one that I am buying doesn't show cracks but it shows the resin covering as bubbling-up underneath in places. Is there anything I could do to help preserve it from going bad, or should I just leave it alone? Thanks

1676642904885.png

Last edited:
I have used high temp silicon as a sealer, and if chunks are missing, I use JB Weld. Both have worked for me.

If the outer insulation is going south, it is a matter of time before it shorts out and lets all the smoke out.

IIRC, J B Weld doesn't have very good dialectric ability, but for low voltage it may be ok.

Any electric motor place could rewind a coil, had one done a few years ago for a 70 year old machine tool.

If the outer insulation is going south, it is a matter of time before it shorts out and lets all the smoke out.

IIRC, J B Weld doesn't have very good dialectric ability, but for low voltage it may be ok.

Any electric motor place could rewind a coil, had one done a few years ago for a 70 year old machine tool.
What I have found is that most electric motor shops won't touch it, and it's because of the very fine wire. I recently talked to a guy at a good local shop who said that the originals were machine wound and it's very hard to by hand. And he said that the coils stop working because corrosion eventually eats through the very fine wire, and trapped moisture feeds the corrosion. This shop restores older motors and has an oven where they actually heat the windings after they clean them. Then they spray a coating of epoxy on the windings. I have found only one person on craigslist who does rewind these coils -- now they're price is about $300 w/shipping. I think would rather take my chances on a used one that works, and maybe clean it up and dry it out, and then re-seal it.

Last edited:
Back