• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cabs

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsauve

displayname
dean sauve
After stopping several times to remove the ice from my glasses I think it's finnally time for a cab.

has anybody built a cab from scratch? I'd like a cozy but there are out of my price range and I never much carred for the wind breaker style

Any ideas would be great.

Deano

I have a Cozy Cab on my 102 and I'm still on the fence weather I like it or not. It is great for keeping the weather of ya but where I'm pushin snow it's far from flat and smooth. If I hit a pot hole the cab will rock the tractor around then I loose traction. I have 150lb wheel weights plus the weight of the cab. I could actually push more snow last year when the cab was in the shed. Sometimes I wish I had the soft cab, it's a lot lighter.

dean i have ih windbreaker metal frame and vinyl doors . With a snowthrower it is great you can blow with our gloves off , if above 0* . there has been picks of home made cabs, you could look in the search . cabs and blower are great.

I used to run my dads Deere with a windbreaker cab and got tired of the snow blowing in and landing on me. Now I'llagree its better than a face wash. I kind of figured a cozy woulb be top heavy. I've also heard that they are rather noisey. All i know is i need one before next year, 4 hours in sub zero temps and no protection from the weather just isn't any fun.

I used to work in an upholstery shop making custom boat covers, covers for fire trucks, motorcycle seats, auto interiors, pretty much anything you can think of. Some of the materials we used were close to what IH used for the wind breakers. This one material, Hurculite, was so strong when I showed it to one FD for their pumper I put a screwdriver in a vise and slammed a piece of that material down on it as hard as I could. Didn't puncture it....that's all the chief needed to see...sold. I want to make my own windbreaker of that material. Just need to get another commercial sewing machine. I'm pretty sure I can build one that will seal up so no snow blows in. I've been looking for someone who doesn't know what they have for sale, the Pfaff machines I used start at $1500 for a used one. I see some cheap ones on greedbay, probably Chinese made, but not sure how well they would hold up. I'd hate to spend $250 on a POS that won't last a year. I also want to make some tractor covers in CC colors custom fit to specific models. Might go over well. May end up trying one if I can't find something reasonable. It's too bad the shop I worked for shut down, I could have made it at work.

Dean, while you're saving up money and searching for that cab get yourself a decent full face helmet and a decent face mask that vents your breath down and out the bottom of the helmet (same basic setup for snowmobiling) that's what I used to wear before I got my cab. Yeah you may look a bit odd wearing a helmet on a garden tractor but it does cut the noise and keeps your head warm and toasty and your vision clearer. <FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Dean S. Across the street a gentleman, Eric Lewis built a pretty neat cab for one of his Cubs about three or so years ago.

Yes Cozy cabs are noisy but still neat to own. The one on the MF10 is crowded but sure beats snow all over. I wish that I had a picture to post of that little fella. He's my backup for snowthrowing.

Marlin, fear not, I have photos (from PD6). Not with the snow removal implement but he is sporting the cab.
happy.gif

111822.jpg

111823.jpg

111824.jpg

111825.jpg

Thank You Kraig!!!
worthy.gif
We have some pics on the old computer only it isn't working at the present. I am debating on taking the cab off and doing some fine tuning to the little guy. This past year I acquired factory electric lift and the Brinly hitch for him. If warm weather would come along way before Spring Plow Day then I'd bring the MF10 along to plow with. (Of course the cab would go on for snow removal duties again. I've had quite a few offers from others wanting that tractor only he is truly part of the family.) Now if I can talk a gentleman out of his MF12 next year when I pick up two 127s and a roller 125 from him then I may just make the MF12 a designated plow Massey.

Marlin,
happy.gif

Dean, here's how NOT to make a cab. What was the PO thinking?
1a_scratchhead.gif

111833.jpg

I wouldn't mind having a cab for a WF. Not for use with snow removal but for spraying my pecan orchard!! Not a fancy one with lights etc, just something to be under cover. So until I can locate one that fits my useage and price range, will continue to stand upwind!!
shame.gif

Okay Kraig, I'll bite, what is wrong with that Cub cab??????

I don't know anything about Cub cabs but I can't see what the big problem with it is.

Could it be the grill??????
1a_scratchhead.gif

Richard, not being able to open the hood with the cab on so the fuel tank had to be remounted at the front where the headlights would be if any were installed, also the discharge chute on the QA42A would hit the fuel tank, providing of course, if the QA42A were actually mounted instead of just setting on the ground in front of the tractor. The cab itself doesn't look all that bad, just poorly implemented.

Kraig:
Picky, Picky, Picky.....
I like the old car spotlight that's rigged on it..

Kraig. I remember that Cub/Cab combo. Ebay last year and was around the West Branch, Iowa area. I think the creator was going for the IH 66 Series Deluxe cab look. Also, look closely and you will see where the brake area is open. Not only will you definintely have snow coming in the cab you will also suffer from the dreaded "my left foot is frozen syndrome." The wiper blade goes down way too far. Maybe the whole thing is a rare prototype mock-up.

Marlin, must be a different Cub with cab that you are remembering, I took that photo about 4 miles from my home back in 1999 with a film camera and scaned it. It was for sale at a consignment dealer. I suppose it's possible that it ended up in Iowa and on ebay.
dunno.gif

Interesting story, after I first posted that photo of the Cub with cab all those years ago, Craig Carney recognized it as he had recently driven past it. He and I had never met or even conversed via email but he contacted me to ask if I lived near the place that had that Cub with cab. Shortly after that I sold him a 102 that I had bought (I should have kept it
bash.gif
lol.gif
) and later he sold K4K at a discount to a group of guys that gave it to me. We've been good friends for many years now. What a great forum!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif
Hmmm, I wonder if he'll sell me back that 102....

Kraig. Hmmm... Now I am wondering about that Cub/cab. With the 102... Definintely try and get it back. Angel had me sell the Bolens blade that I used to use on the 125 or I would've put it on Clarence (our 102). She told me that I didn't need a backup for the "D" and blade. I have Mike Caruth pretty much convinced that he needs to have a 102. Just something about that little 10 hp, 3 speed with creeper. He is such a fun little fella to drive. I do have chains on him in case the neighbor kids want someone to pull them on a sled.

Marlin, I'm not gonna pester Craig to sell me the 102. We've discussed it in the past and it could happen some day, but I really don't need the 102. It did, however, have the nicest original condition front tires and rims I've seen. I did however keep the rear tires, rims and wheel weights from it. The tires and rusting rear rims (from salt solution filled tires) from my #1 125 when on it before I sold it.

111894.jpg

Latest posts

Back