• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub 1450 vs cub 1864 (Quality)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrhely

displayname
Michael Brhely
First I would like to say hi to all, I have been looking for a replacement for a craftsman that died on me(13yrs of hard use). After looking at new and seeing the lack of quality
uhoh.gif
I found a guy who refurbishes old cubs. He has a 1450 rebuilt engine, paint, etc looks new. But, he also has a 1864 (I know MTD) 1995 low hrs excellent condition. Both run great. ? is if 1864 is a few $ more which would be a better buy and why? PS, I know 2 friends that have the 1450's and love them but alot more power with the 1864 and power steering..
bash.gif

Michael,
groupwave.gif
welcome.

Hard to beat more power and power steering.

Do they both have hydralic lift? That might be a factor.

Yes
But it's not really fair to try and compare the two. The only similarity they have to one another is they are yellow and white and have 4 tires.
clappy.gif

They both have hydraulic lifts. I know they are two differnet beasts but more concerned with reliability for many years of use to come.
old.gif
. I know the 1450 is very durable and not too hard to repair once you find parts. I don't know too much regarding the 1864 other than reading on these forums but found they seem to have been the last of the line of good tractors. I was hoping some of you knowledgable folks had some first had experience and could shed some insight
thumbsup_old.gif
. Neither tractor is cheap but I am willing to pay for quailty versus what I have been seeing sold nowadays. Thanks for any and all help..
beerchug.gif

Michael, I only have IH made cubs so I wont comment on the 1864, But with the 1450 comes a lot of knowhow.
What I mean is there are plenty of places to get info (this site is the best though) and more places to get parts either NOS or used, also it will be alot easier and faster to repair in the event of failure of a part.

The extra horse in the 1864 will not matter the 1450 has enough, so power steering is probaly the only strong point. Although my 11 Year old daughter turns my 1200 pretty easy.

hope this helps some.

Michael
Which one meets current EPA emissions standards? We only get to go around once on this planet.
JH

Jerry what are the current EPA standards for a 1450?

I doubt either one meets current emissions standards.

The 1864's engine will give you slightly more power on about the same or slightly more fuel, but runs much smoother since it is a twin cylinder engine.

The 1864 has a lot of structural plastic (bad), poor quality paint, and that series is notorious for wiring issues. As far as engine, driveline, etc, it's as good or better than the 1450.

The 1450 will need the engine mounts replaced if the PO didn't do it, and will shake like crazy if they weren't done right. I liked my 1450, but hated the rattles, ill-fitting side panels, and the overly complex (and not very smooth-operating, as a result) hydro linkage.

I guess, all in all, it's up to you to decide what's best for you, but I'd buy neither and go looking for a 782 if it were me.

Who gives a rats patooie about EPA standards when you set yer butt on a 40 year old machine!
Get real folks!
draw.gif

Granted, environmental damage is ALL cumulative, but since our gov't has let millions of gallons of crude oil escape into the gulf, I really don't feel that bad about running my CC's with their older less environmentally friendly engines. I even use leaded gas in one of them!

I recycle my used oil, anti-freeze, alum. cans, and old newspapers. I try to do my part.

Far as this topic is concerned, MATT G has the best suggestion, a 782 is a great tractor, or an 1872/2072 SGT. But when looking for old used but servicable garden tractors you have to decide between what's available. I'm not a fan of the Q/L series but I'd take the 1450 over the 1864.

I looked for several months thirty yrs ago trying to find a used CC for my small yard. I borrowed Dad's 70 once to mow with when they were on vacation and I had to have one. No more stupid push mower for Me, even on a small quarter-acre lot. I could have bought a semi-truck load of green/yellow tractors but bought the CC 72. It wasn't my first choice, I wanted something bigger, a 124, 128. Big gear drive. But the 72 has been a real great machine.

I found a rat's patooie:
Swamp Rats
Missy Went Patooie

Patooie is 3.10 lbs and 8" tall.She is Apricot Sable like her mother Little Miss Muffett,and looks like a tiny version of Missy.She is Parti factored from her dad V.T.Scotty To Hottie. She is very sweet and loving,and will produce beautiful little teacups.Patooie is 1 1/2 years old in photo.
193700.jpg

193701.gif

Frank, sure they look nice mounted on the wall but, lets be honest, it would take at least 3 of them to get enough meat to make a meal.

Dave
I was just stirring the pot a little. Here's another one. Michael Does your better half help in the yard work? Buy the one that makes her happy. At my age I really appreciate help from my better half so I have a later model with all the bells and whistles so she's eager to help.

JERRY - That's true Life long friend of my Dad lived on the farm still. They had 2-3 acres to mow every week. The Guy ran an off-topic 400, Wife ran a O/T 317. One day the Wife complained about how hard her tractor steered. Guy shut his 400 down, jumped in his pickup. An hour later he returned with the local dealer's truck behind with a shiny new O/T 318.

I really don't think CC's steer very hard, especially when moving, even without P/S. I blew a P/S hose a couple weeks ago on my PSD-powered pickup. Now THAT steers hard!

Thanks for all the input.. I decided on the 1450.. It came with the 3 point, front hydraulics, 50" deck, chains, and 44" snowplow.. I already tested the mower out and works well. I love the lack of safety features ie.. mowing in reverse
lol.gif
... It has been completely rebuilt, clutch, pistons, rebored, etc. Runs like a champ.. I can't wait for the snow.. The only thing I need is the front hydraulic angling kit..
drool.gif
.. I figured I would include a few pics..

194479.jpg

194480.jpg

194481.jpg

Michael B - Very nice! I'd have made the same decision (not that my opinion counts for much!).

Michael Excellent machine and loaded with options
greenthumb.gif

Back