• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Advice for first time buyer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt Doles

IHCC Supporter
Hi guys,
I have a nephew who just bought a 1+ acre property, he's asking advice on what to buy to maintain it.
I have a 2284 I would sell him but I think a 35 year old tractor is not a good fit for someone inexperienced.
Although if I sold him a 2284 for 2k, he'd have 4k for repairs. I have 3 2284's, the one I'm considering has 1000hrs.
If he were local I could help support, he's 100 miles away.
Everyone might hate this idea, maybe a lawn service is more cost effective?

I asked his budget and he said 5-6 k which is good, he's got reasonable expectations.

My first thought was tractor vs zero-turn. I have both, for a new homeowner/tractor owner, I'd probably lean towards a tractor, more versatile?
The lot is flat and minimal trees.

I think in this case, new is the way to go if the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty advertised is legitimate..
I'm a Cub guy but would consider any brand for him, best fit.

He's not moving until February so there are probably good deals mid winter?
And if you have all your make/model specs in mind you can comparison shop for the best price.

Any opinion would be appreciated!
Curt

A 2284 is at most 28 years old. What are his needs? Just mowing, a zero turn might be a better choice. If more capability is needed, the 2284 would be a good fit.

$6k will not buy anything new that is even close to the quality and capability of a 2284. Adjusted for inflation, these were >$12k new if I remember correctly. If all of the common wear and maintenance items have been taken care of, and it continues to be maintained well, it will be as reliable as a new machine. After replacing lots of worn parts on both my 782 and 1872, I have done little more than routine maintenance in the years that have followed. These aren't hard to work on. Forums like this one are for learning how to do maintenance and repairs if that knowledge is lacking.

Times two. These older machines, adjusted for age and wear, are still light years ahead of just about anything sold now, class for class. All of mine have been uber reliable after I have gone through them, using only Cub OEM parts to repair and refurbish.

A point to ponder..If I was looking for a mowing tractor,I would be looking at an older Cub Lowboy with a belly mower.They do a great job mowing and the drawbar can be used without removing the deck.Should be easily found under $6000.

Hey guys, Thanks for the input. I've had mt original 2284 for 8 or 10 years, no major repairs and I've had a 149, 1862, 1860, 3 1872's now 3 2284's the most significant repair was an ignition module on the 1860 and the 1862. Not a hard repair but time consuming. I know we all love pics so here are a few. The 2284's are a 95,96,97. The zero turn is a SZ60.
Thanks, Curt

Attachments

• Fleet.jpg
    Fleet.jpg
    937 KB · Views: 0
  • 2284plow.jpg
    2284plow.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Cub1.jpg
    Cub1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0
A point to ponder..If I was looking for a mowing tractor,I would be looking at an older Cub Lowboy with a belly mower.They do a great job mowing and the drawbar can be used without removing the deck.Should be easily found under $6000.

I can't imagine choosing a Lo-Boy over a 2284 to mow an acre yard. The former is not a great choice for someone with little mechanical repair experience, and if the primary task is mowing, a manual transmission and steering will get old pretty quick, with the other choice having power steering and a hydrostatic transmission.

Curt, while I do echo the others that have replied, I will add I have a newer cub cadet xt2 lawn tractor. While it isn't the quality of our beloved IH tractors, they aren't supposed to be. They are built to a price point. With that said, mine is 3 years old now and has approximately 240 hours on it, with a slight majority of that time being snow blowing over mowing. It has the kawasaki engine, and I haven't done a single repair yet, not one. It's still running the factory belts, for the blower and mower deck even. My parents have the same tractor and blower as mine, except 1 year newer, and my dad's only issue was the throttle cable froze on him last winter, so he couldn't idle it down till spring when it thawed out(he leaves his outside year around, mine are kept in a heated garage). If I remember correctly, the lawn tractor was around $3500 and the blower was another $1k when I bought mine, might be a tad more these days.

My vote is for a one lung Kohler Hydro. But I am 68 years old I am mowing one acre with a 71. and the non power steering is one of the exercises I do every week. I will push mow some of the front yard also and around the house to trim close. as far as maintenance. I replace a lot of bolts washers, nuts and clevis pins. and CHECK YOUR OIL AND GREASE. KEEP BELTS ON HAND. Maybe I'm different than some. I am in no hurry to go sit on the couch. And I only burn 1 gallon using first gear. 90% throttle.
KAYAKER2

Curt, while I do echo the others that have replied, I will add I have a newer cub cadet xt2 lawn tractor. While it isn't the quality of our beloved IH tractors, they aren't supposed to be. They are built to a price point. With that said, mine is 3 years old now and has approximately 240 hours on it, with a slight majority of that time being snow blowing over mowing. It has the kawasaki engine, and I haven't done a single repair yet, not one. It's still running the factory belts, for the blower and mower deck even. My parents have the same tractor and blower as mine, except 1 year newer, and my dad's only issue was the throttle cable froze on him last winter, so he couldn't idle it down till spring when it thawed out(he leaves his outside year around, mine are kept in a heated garage). If I remember correctly, the lawn tractor was around $3500 and the blower was another $1k when I bought mine, might be a tad more these days.
Hey Jay, I was thinking XT2 or XT3 as an option, I l
I'd be all about that 2284, along with a snowblower...that'd be a top notch, new homeowner acquisition..."go big or go home". (y):cool:(y)
So I have three 2284's and I have them because in my opinion, the best garden tractor ever made. I have a search on Craigslist that alerts me any time a SGT is available, I Think my search is nationwide. Just love the Supers.
I bought the last two as a pair in Columbus. One had the Haban plow and front ports. Both had 60" Haban decks.
I overpaid based on market price, I underpaid based on worth. Hey , I'm 70, gotta spend it somewhere! Hey, PACub 100, you're at 999 posts

Here, take my 1000th... 🤣

Yes, I love my 1450 but the 1864 I got for my parents is just a beast, I can't imagine a 2284...

Hey, you're only 2 hours away from him, any involved issues that may arise deserves an "Aunt and Unkie Doles over for afternoon lunch" day with some advice and assistance... 👍😎👍

Latest posts

Back