• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Computer question. . . .

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen-

I have found if you let things (problems) alone nowadays they tend to just fix themselves. I have no idea as to what was going on this morning with my laptop but it is now seemingly resolved. I did nothing but a restore and the problem resurfaced but then just stopped....

....go figure

To any and all puter geeks...

What is the proper way to change my Adobe. Should I uninstall the old first then download the newer version or will the newer version automatically get rid of the old? And second, where do I find the free downloads for Adobe? Everytime I go looking they want money it seems. I'm looking to install the 10.1.102.64 version. How would I find it?

Thanks to any and all.

Thanks Allen. I have been having trouble viewing some things recently and only had Adobe 9.? so I figured it was time to do a little upgrading.

I was posting just fine yesterday till I couldn't hook up anymore. I was in the computer a couple hours last night looing at stuff trying to figure it out. I happened to look over and the wireless router has a red light on it instead of green. Got to looking and the dog had chewed the end of the coax cord off. Go figure.

I'm still on the same laptop and it's in its sixth year. It still does ok and I simply can't afford to just replace it yet but I'm having a totally different issue now. When I put it to sleep for a few hours and go back the screen has a pink tint. As soon as I start using it the tint goes away and things return to normal colors.

Does this simply mean I'm getting ready to buy another computer? Is something happening to the screen? I know that being 5+ years old it's an ancient computer but as long as it comes on in the morning and gets the job done I'm happy.

You aren't gonna like this, most likely the backlight is dying and most likely it's not the fluorescent tube itself but the high voltages drivers. In a Flatscreen monitor, it's usually not economical anymore to replace the driver electronics, as the cost of them plus the labor to put 'em in just about equals a new monitor. I quit fixing them a couple of years ago, since nobody wanted to pay an hour's labor plus 50-70 bucks for the parts.. On a laptop, if it's in decent shape, that might not be the case..... here's a good writeup that I found a while back on Ebay Guides ......

"A pinkish or reddish tint on LCD screens can only happen to screens that use florescent backlight tubes (or CCFT - Cold Cathode Florescent Tube) - it won't happen to LED-based screens.

What's a backlight tube anyway? Well ... it's just your good ole florescent tube - scaled down to roughly 10" to 16" in length and about 1/16th of an inch in diameter (for PC's and laptops), that's what it is. You've seen good ole florescent tubes before - in your garage, your kitchen, or your office, or in warehouses. When florescent tubes fail, they either (1) don't go to full brightness immediately, or (2) they don't go to full brightness at all, or (3) they go blink, blink, blink, and then off, or (4) they're dead.

The pinkish/reddish tint on your LCD screen is just a backlight tube that ain't at full brightness (the tube still produces white light, it just look pinkish/reddish when filtered thru the screen's glass top). In many cases, this only happens on startup and full brightness will happen in a few seconds; in some cases, you get a pinkish/reddish tint for the first few seconds and then it blinks and blacks out. If your screen gets you full brightness in a few seconds, then keep on using it - as the "grace periods" of these things can be indefinite (I've had a screen with a pinkish/reddish tint on start up for over 10 years and it's still going). If your screen gets you a pinkish/reddish tint on startup and then goes black, then it is hell and gone: you either replace the tube or replace the screen altogether.

Backlight tubes are located either at the bottom or the top of LCD screens and run its entire length. These tubes are buried deep inside the bowels of LCD screens, and replacing them is a very, very, very, very difficult task (level of difficulty is beyond human). I've done it a hundred times and I can count on one hand the number of completions that are perfect: twice. If you have to replace a backlight tube, there's only one way: get a used screen with a good tube, and you must get the exact same screen as your original screen, and go from there; any other way, and you're gonna get yourself in a world of hurt - and that's guaranteed. Easiest way is to replace the entire screen altogether.

And that's the lesson for today...

Now I've got a 'puter question - for Charlie, Kraig or Bryan if he pops in..... I use FireFox most of the time and since I've been posting again, I notice that any codes I select when composing (for instance formatting like bolding, font changes or even the smileys), get inserted at the end of my text rather than where ever the cursor is at the time. Any idea why??

Thanks Gerry-

I figured the answer wasn't going to be something I wanted to hear. I guess it's time to start saving up for the replacement. I have wondered about the light source so getting that answered helped.

Gerry, Firefox has always done that for me. Not sure why.

Wayne sorry 'bout that.. I have in at least one case found a laptop of the same brand/type and swapped screens to fix the problem.. Ya gotta be handy with dinky screwdrivers and screws about the size of pepper, but with time and patience it can be done.....

Kraig - it never did it before for me.. also doing it in Chrome BUT not in IE... Also have a problem when using the link tool, in that I used to be able to highlight the word (TAG)I wanted for the link, and then click on the tool, paste in the link and hit return. It would insert URL,URL in brackets and I would then have to replace the second iteration of URL with the TAG. Now the tool places the URL,URL at the end of all text, still with the double URL rather than URL,TAG which is how the tool actually should work (it does on other sites using Discus...)... I always liked providing links to whatever we're talking about and this does make it more difficult (Let me complain more about the free service - right??)
bottom.gif

Too many variables anymore to figure it out ....
Sigh.......
bash.gif

I was just clearing some emails and the screen on my laptop went black. It's done this before but it didn't come back this time. Hell, the computer ain't but 5 1/2 years old.

Is this a sign of computer death? I'm on my PC right now. I haven't even turn this puter on in a few months but so far so good.

I plan on going tomorrow and looking into another laptop. I'd like to know how I'm going to get the info off of the blackened laptop. Am I screwed?

Wayne, what brand/model is the laptop? Does it have a connector for an external monitor on it? If so, connect it up to an external monitor and see if it displays anything on it. If the hard drive is still functional your files (word documents, image files etc.) should be recoverable.

Kraig-

It is/was a Dell E 1505 Inspiron. It has many ports but being computer illiterate I just don't know what I'd need. Can you use USB to do that with another monitor? I plan on taking it with me tomorrow and I'm sure they'll be able to tell me what I need to do. I sure hope I don't lose my stuff on there. I don't even have email now because I never set it up on this machine.

Wayne, I found this info on the Dell E1505:

Dell E1505

From this image of the rear it does have a connector for an external monitor, called a "VGA connector." It would be the 15 pin, D shaped connector in the middle of the rear panel. Looks like it also has an S-Video connector (round connector to the right of the monitor connector) that you could connect up to a TV that has an S-video input

Rear View

The USB port won't be of any use unless you can get it running with a monitor. Worst case I'd be willing to try to save your data for you. I work at a place where we make equipment for law enforcement to copy hard drives. If your Hard Drive is still functional I can copy the data off for you and save it in some fashion like onto a bunch of DVDs, which can get expensive if you have a lot of data. Or into an external USB Hard Drive, which can also be expensive but it is more flexible for future use to back up your data. It would be best if you can get the laptop to work with an external monitor. Did the laptop stop making any noise when the display went black like it was shut off or did/does it sound like it is still on?

Dell support for your Dell E 1505 Inspiron is a few keystrokes in Google away.... (try Dell E 1505 Inspiron support). there's a VGA connection on the back.... hook almost any monitor to it and boot the laptop...
251646.jpg

Edit: Hi ya Kraig.........
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back