• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Building a snow cab

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akleyla

displayname
Amy J. Kleyla
Ok,so I am getting close to building a snow cab from scratch. My question is I have never seen one in person so I have no idea how the original cabs actually mounted to the IH Cub Cadets. I havent seen any instructions or pictures of how they actually mount. So if you guys could send some actual pictures here so I can see what I need to do when I build this it would be greatly appreciated. I am going to be using square tubing I have from two old ladder stands then may use diamond deck aluminum for the walls or maybe steel and paint it to match the cub. I do plan on adding a windshield wiper,insulation and a light inside the cab with the clapper installed of course so all I have to do is clap my hands for a dome light. I will have to have a mirror to check my hair an makeup also and I may add some speakers to use my ipod while im out in the elements cleaning snow. Yup thats right, I plan on spending lots of hours this winter in it....so ya know once I get this built it wont snow at all...lol

Of course,if I just welded this permanently I could add an AC unit then have AC while I mow next summer. Ok so this part was a joke,but having AC while mowing does sound nice.

Amy,
Do a Google for home made garden tractor cab, click on images, there's TON's of info out there.
292479.jpg

AMY - The idea of having AC in summer REALLY is nice. I thought the BTO I worked for in high school was really looking out for my comfort when he traded two big tractors for two NEW big tractors in 1970, the biggest one with cab, heater AND AC. I was really looking forward to chopping haylage that summer, close the cab up tight, no dust, low enough noise to hear the radio... but NO... AC compressor locked up and died before we were even done planting corn & beans. Last time I ran the tractor when it was about 6-8 yrs old the AC still hadn't been fixed. It was a really common failure on that brand, model, & vintage tractor.... it was green... fix it and it would run a couple days and die again.

A plus to the big cab on the zero turn is you can drive out on the lake with your ice hut.

Ice hut?
WTH is a ice hut?

You talkin about a fish house?
biggrin.gif

4" of ice and these fools up here are draggin fish house's with 4 wheelers for God sake!

Charlie - didja have to post that cabbed ZTR?? It's so - ummm, I can't find the word, but I have to keep coming back to look at the pics. Kind of like pics of an old time train wreck.. Reminds me of something they'd build in a 3rd world country for transportation...

How would you trim? You can't possibly see out of that thing!!!!

I never thought of googling that Charlie,I will have to check that out.

I dont think I will make an ice hut for ice fishing or as you say in the north Fish house...but the guy is smart being able to drive out on the ice instead walking and he will be able to blow snow or plow it so others wont have to walk through tons of snow.

I think I will prolly use 26 gauge sheet metal for the walls,wood is ok but wont last as long. I plan on painting it IH colors so hoping with it being made with steel and it will last longer and add some weight on the back end.

Im hoping to have some free time today to get started on the frame. I have a few ideas in mind but I plan on looking at some of the plans I see for other ideas....

Amy.I built a cab on my Narrow frame 122 back in 08.I asked Kraig to load the pictures for me as i;ve lost the ones I had..a built brackets out of strap steel and mounted a set under the fenders using the exsiting holes that were there,and also used the holes in the foot pads to mount the front brackets, 1/4 inch plywood makes up the main encloser, I also fabbed up a flip front in order to access under the hood for fueling, plexie glass for the windows.The top is heavy duty plastic tarp material and i used 1/2 conduit for bows to support the roof.I also mounted lights for nite time work.No real plans went into the building,mostly thought it up in my head. haven't put in a heating system,just bundle up good.it beats the snow blowing on u and i;ve been out on 17 below wiind cill and its better than being out in the open.its light weight yet durable.
thumbsup.gif

What would you use a covered ZTR for? It almost looks like a hunting blind.

The wood ones look so homey.. I'd want mine in knotty pine....

Allen - most likely diamond plate to prevent sparks from the fireplace catching the floor on fire....

I wouldn't mind a big wind screen on the front of my tractor, but a snowcab seems kind of excessive unless you are living in Alaska...

Latest posts

Back