• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike-

I wouldn't worry. Charlie said to "continue on with what you guys are doing" so...

Anyone and everyone that has had anything to do with your 169 rebuild/refurbish knows about this thread now.

Now, what were you saying???

Thanks Wayne!

I was saying that between the honey-do's at the house and the farm, I haven't had much time for tractors, hot rods, machine tools...... sigh..

Holy Cow Mike! I know the feeling! It's like the proverbial itch that you can't reach to scratch. Keep chipping away at it though and one day it will be all put back together running and looking great, regardless of the name
cubwinker.gif
!!!

Mike: I apologize if I offended you, I was only trying to "stir the pot" as Harry Bursell does so effectively. I guess I lack his eloquence.
I get it. You're not aiming for a 100 Point restoration or "Trailer Queen," only a Basic Refurbish.
Here's to hoping others join you in your aspiration.
thumbsup.gif

By-the-way, I've resigned myself to the same level of excellence (or is it mediocrity), I just don't have a 100 point restoration in me. The attention to detail such an effort requires just doesn't float my boat. I'm happy to get it running and to maintain it in <nearly> tip-top shape.

Mike F. I'm like Jeremiah C. Just don't have the time or energy for a true restoration. Just keep working at it when you can.

Jeremiah, offended? NO WAY! and as far as stirring the pot? "We" scored 3 replies that "we" didn't have earlier! LOL..
chef.gif

Joshua, Marlin, thanks for the replies also, good to see you both in here. I'll keep at it and it'll come together. Like the 34 coupe, I put it together, then take it apart. Make some improvement then put it together... only to later take it apart.. rinse and repeat. Like my hot rods, they're never done.

And once I feel it's done, it'll get sent down the road and I'll search for another one!

Ok Mike - I'm starting not to like some of your thinking when you say "And once I feel it's done, it'll get sent down the road and I'll search for another one!" 169's are supposed to be for keeps, unless you've got another 169, and then it really still should be. They survive much better in pairs.

Hi'ya Harry!

Calm yourself.. no need to get your panties in a twist!

The Mustang took 17 years to be "finished", the 34 has been ongoing since 2001... the "73" since 1988 ... so as you can see, they are all a work in progress and I don't move to fast! roflmao!

The 169 has only just begun.. :cool:

I say do what you like. I know motorheads that work on all kinds of mechanical things.... and there seems to be 2 main veins they run in... the

build it, keep it, build another, keep it....

or

build it, sell it, build another, sell it....

I say do what makes you happy. I'm more of the "keep it" person, but I also keep them working.....

Dad went to / participated in a local show a few weeks ago. He was invited by a friend of his to participate who restores various makes of the older garden tractors. I believe all of his friends are "trailer queens" or will be. Dad took two of his better tractors to the show, his IH 782, and his 1650, both still wearing their mower decks.

Dad said one fella came by and asked what his plans were for these two, restore, or something else. Dad told them he may clean them up a bit, but they still get used weekly to mow and other tasks..... He said the guy looked at him like he was crazy...... seems that many people think since they are old, they need to be put on a shelf and looked at. If that's what you like go ahead, but there are those out there, me included are going to have them "earning their keep".. as mine work year around..... Keep up the good work, and put the 169 "back together" and put it to use they best way you see fit, even if that's to let someone else use it....

Scott N. I agree with some being happy being trailer queens and kings. And some being used as meant to be. I just don't like seeing them in salvage yards and they won't let you take them home.

Hi Scott N., mine have to work / earn it's keep to a degree. I'm really more of a "builder", that is for me, it's all about the build, that's where I have fun. Once they are up and running, I don't have as much interest.

It's the same with the Hot Rod, some guys build'em just to drive the wheels off.. I just like the building part. After driving it awhile I want to change it in some way. Or sell it and do another.

Hi'ya Marlin. we'll get'er done for sure. I've got enough parts to do a snow thrower machine. So that'll be the work clothes she'll wear.

Just a bit of an update..

Just ordered a few small parts from CCS so we can get some progress going in the near future.

First a bit more dis-assembly, I want to pull out the steering box for a cleaning / inspection. Then the rear axle assy. comes out to replace the gasket between the pump and drive.

Pulled the steering box assy., disassembled cleaned and inspected. It was in really nice shape. Reassembled and installed a David Kirk Super Steer kit. I'll reinstall it tomorrow I hope.

307490.jpg

Here's another just before assembly

307491.jpg

Thanks Josh.

I found the top of the tube (the exposed section above the dash)to be without any paint. So I made the time to sand and prime it last night. I'll get some black paint on it and once dry, I'll reinstall. Then drop the transaxle for a cleanup and replace the pesky leaky gasket.

Mike-

Did you check the steering bolt/lever for flat? I've never seen one that was perfectly flat due to the major weld on the bolt. It can be easily seen with a straight edge placed across it. I've put them in a press and gotten them very close. It helps keep proper pressure on the gasket retainer which in turn helps keep grease where it belongs. The worm gear follower usually needs dressing up a bit from flat spots too.

Just something to check IMO.

Looking good though.

Hi'Ya Wayne. Yep, the plate was in good shape, I did press it just a bit to get it flatter. The follower was real nice. All in all it was a pleasure to get this one done. Got the column back in with a "new" wheel that has no cracks and the little triangle plate in the middle.

And then;

Today was just pickup any of the rusty parts and clean'em up and get on some primer. The seat mounts had to be cut off from the seat pan. The rust was just awful. The seat pan is going to need a bunch of work!

"The worm gear follower usually needs dressing up a bit from flat spots too"
LOL - the ideal would be to find someone that could dress the <u>worm</u> - both of mine have lots of wear in the center, not much on either end of travel.. Take the slop out in the center and the ends of travel (full right or left turn) will bind.... At one time I was looking at what it would take to do the profile grinding on the worm- wish my machinist dad was still around...

Gerry, if KENtuckyKen was still active here, I bet he could probably dress the worm gear. I'm still in touch with him weekly via email I may have to pick his brain on this...

Gerry, on both the "worm" and follower, I just used a narrow polishing stone and cleaned/dressed the worn areas. The downside to doing this would be it creates a larger tolerance in this one area. But I probably only opened the area maybe 1 to 1.5 thousandths, no big deal imho. If there were many parts to do, I could talk with a local shop who uses cnc and take an equal amount out of the worm over the whole length. I think the follower would still have enough diameter to adjust out any change.

But this wouldn't be cheap to do. So then it becomes a cost vs. benefit approach. With shop rates at probably 100 dollars an hour... I'd say we need an alternative. I'm also on a couple machinist forums. I can ask over there for thoughts.. Would anyone have a picture - mines reassembled and I'm not taking it apart now! LOL.

Got some parts from CCS, thanks Charlie!... included were some red plastic "things". I think they are funnels? I remember a discussion on these very "things".. but don't remember what they were. Any help?

Back