• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it Kraig.. but it's still nice to "see" you here..
1AA_dance2.gif

Mike - ya I assume it's too late now but I really wanted to see the engine before you put it all back together. I wanted to see the crank after you installed the David Kirk balance kit, etc.
And of course I wanted to see the brand new hydro fan, as well as all the other things that go on putting the 169 back together.

Frank Currier: I can't believe a good Mainer would go and poach a post of a poor old fellow from Massachusetts (although you are both "flat-landers" to an original New Hampshire boy). Although, I have to say, leading by example, this post does need pics of the "Basic Refurbish" of Mike's 169.
[Of course, if he had posted his own thread instead of copping another's there would be no question of whose pictures of what machine it was --just sayin']
smile.gif

Note: Mike, it's too late to start a thread, you own this one now.
happy.gif

Jeremiah: It was the quickest and easiest way to show Harry what inside of New Bedford Mike's buttoned up engine should look like.
happy.gif

Harry: It's a 16hp, but c'mon, now, 16,14, at this point what difference does it make?
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank - "what difference does it make?" Well it does. I wanted to see what the David Kirk's balance plate for a 16hp K341 looked like. I believe his description mentions it's larger for a 16hp so I thought maybe it was bigger than the lobe of the crankshaft counterweight. If I recall correctly you sent your crank to David and had him do the machining and installation of his balance plate. Is that correct?

Yes, I sent it out to Dave, not knowing of a machine shop around here. The 14hp and 16hp crank are the same part number so I'm taking it for granted that the balance kit is the same for both. (Also wanted to "keep the phrase going").
asthanos.gif

It's a fantastic picture and shows what's necessary. There are a LOT of times I wish that I had taken a picture of before when I was done. Most of the time I was too dirty or just wanted to get done. No one is hijacking any thread..... It's just a group of great people sharing knowledge of what they enjoy doing... working and using vintage Cub Cadets.....

Frank - I just looked back and David's descriptive info and the install instructions, and I couldn't find anything about a larger plate for the 16hp. I either read it someplace else or my imagination was at work again.

HMmmmm.. where to begin?

Frank C., first thanks for posting the picture! But c'mon, we all know if your great grandfather wasn't born there, you'll always be an outsider! New Hampshire? Maine? (shrugging) same difference!

J.C. Thanks.... I think!?!?!

Harry, while I can appreciate your desire to share in this refurb.. is seeing a new plastic fan on a shaft that critical it needs a pic?

Almost forgot Marlin!! Hello and thanks for stoppin' in and posting. I also forget to snap a pic or two, then there are times my hands are all grungy and I don't want to stop to wash'em just to snap a photo. My mind is really on the task at hand. So a lot of times the pics you do see in here from me are taken before I start the next step(s), that is, they are the finished work from the day before.

ANyway, as always, I'll try to do better, patience my friends, patience.

Mike - as much trouble as I had getting that dang fan in the correct place, and getting the C-clip to hold it - YES I'D LIKE TO SEE PICS OF YOURS.

Mike - I guess I need to add 1 more part to my story (which I have told on the Forum before). I don't know where you were in 2001 but Kenny W and I decided to assembly my 169 at the Tractor Show in Brooklyn, CT. (which was my hair brain idea). (I think they hold it at another location now and call it something else, maybe Zag Farms show). My biggest concern was that I would forget or be missing something BUT I went ahead with the attempt. My pickup bed was loaded with frame, fenders, and boxes and boxes. We got to the show and started setting everything up. About 2 hours into it (somewhere between 9-10AM) what do you suppose I discovered was missing?????

Yup - you guessed it - the dang plastic Hydro fan.

We ran to the local CC dealer and had no luck. It started raining so I loaded everything back into my truck and we ended up going to Jim Chabot's where I left everything and the next weekend we finished it up. That's how I ended up with these 3 pics
308489.jpg

308490.jpg

308491.jpg

Maybe one day soon yours can be added and make it a trio of 169s. (Ooh, and yes my air cleaner cover is missing in the pics, and yes the brakes aren't locked, and yes the button on my PTO engagement lever is painted red - because it engages a feature that can be dangerous in use).

I remember some of that.. I had left Mass in September 2000 for New Mexico, I was upset that you guys had begun the resto at Jims shop and I couldn't hang out with ya'll. I followed along online and lamented the missed opportunity.

OK!
I've set and watched this thread go from what it was intended to some it's not intended for and I' think I've had enough.
99% of the post belong on the main forum board, PERIOD THE END!

NOW, if this thread doesn't get back on track and used for what it was intended.
It will be closed to new post and or a separate permission to post will be applied!

AND, we don't need a bunch of BUT BUT BUT! post explaining why it's path has gone the it has!

Do we have a NEW understanding guys!

I guess I need straightening out!

I just don't see the problem.. perhaps I need to learn the intention of this thread!

It's just a garden tractor, and I wanted to share my work with ya'll and have some fun. But this just isn't worth it. I'll just go back to lurking.

Sorry if some of us were enjoying ourselves.

Dirt Simple!
Just like it says under the Topics section!

Refurbish & Restorations ONLY!
If your restoring or just doing a refurbish, start your own thread so everyone can benefit from the procedures you went through.

It's NOT a discussion area for post that NEED to be on the main forum board.

Harry I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was Oct. 6, 2001, my oldest daughter's 8th birthday party was that day. I was supposed to go to Brooklyn then be home for cake. Ended up getting home at 2am the next morning. Boy did I pay for that! This IHCC fever can really nip you in the butt!

Latest posts

Back