• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
307698.jpg

307699.jpg

Discovered the "Rockshaft Arm" is missing from the "kit" I bought. That's the piece that replaces the strongarm lift. But I got the cylinder mounted and the valve is next.

Made some progress today, pulled the transaxle and replaced the cork gasket, got the axle reinstalled and installed all the "new to me" hydraulic parts. Had some new hoses made for the lift piston and all the metal tubes are in.

In her previous lives, she's been used and abused, evidenced by the linkages for the brakes and tranny. Trying to get the cotter pins and hitch pins out was way to frustrating! I had to cut the pin to separate the trans linkage, then once the transaxle was pulled there was room to work and get the cut parts out.

I didn't do any pictures, pulling a transaxle has been shown many times before.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get the rear cover on and refill, then back to reassembly of the motor!

Mike-

What "pins" are you speaking of that you had to cut? The only pins I can think of are the cotter pins in the brake linkage and the one holding the yoke pin for the "find neutral" rod. The 3rd linkage just requires wrenches. Any pics?

Good Morning Wayne.
Yes, you named all 3, any cotter pin in this rig either breaks from rot or is frozen in the rod it was meant to secure. On at least one of the links there is evidence of a P.O. using a cut off wheel to cut the linkage free then they welded up the damage. The yoke was just brutal, I finally had to spread the yoke wide enough to get the sawzall in and cut the pin on both sides of the linkage. Then with the transaxle out I could drill out the remaining piece of the pin. There is another linkage that's been cut and welded too.. I don't remember what that one does right now... must be getting old!

I'll see if I can't get a photo or two.

Hi'ya Wayne, heres a few for ya.
If you look close you can see where the weld ends, it looked like "they" used a cut off wheel to remove the linkage
308115.jpg

This one is easier to see.. LOL..
308116.jpg

and here's the yoke after I got all the frozen pin parts out.
308117.jpg

Mike-

Yep, all of that probably happened when the tractor was about 20 years old and they had no idea it would some day be owned by a collector. What a mess. How do you plan to remedy all of that?

The trunion slot looks good though. Was it that way when you got it? It must have been a tractor grandma only drove to church on Sundays.

Keep us posted.

Remedy??? Collector??? HUH? What??
err.gif

The plan right now is to get it running and drive it around, feel it out. I only drove it once (into the shop) and my plan was to have it run a 42" snow thrower. So I really don't care if it'll hoist a mower.. at least for today! HAH!!!
Oh, the trunion was in really good shape and was like that when I got it. But things like the chassis bolts - what a mess!

wait'll Harry reads that!

Mike - WHAT?????? Your 169 appears rarely used and not abused, as evidenced by the lack of wear on the trunion. Those rusty bolts and linkages must be from you leaving it sit to long.
err.gif

Haha... Harry.. She's been apart many times before. Someone replaced the cork gasket between the transaxle and the hydrostat and it slipped as they were installing it. A large part of it was covering the bearing and not sealing on the surface as was intended. But it didn't leak!

It seems like every bolt I remove is different from the one next to it. Many are way to short also. I need to get going and remove the handle from the rock shaft and also install the correct spring for the hydraulics from the kit.

Last night I did some tin knocking on the seat/fender pan, I'll admit I'm no body guy but it came out pretty nice.

And I got the springs into the hydro and the lift handle removed.

Thanks Harry for the hydro conversion manual. Now I need to acquire that rockshaft arm.

I guess it's time for the motor to go back in, driveshaft with new fan.. etc. etc. etc...
biggrin.gif

Mike - make sure you use all the correct bolts with "WP" stamped on the heads. Correct Police will be looking.

Well, they better prepare themselves to be disappointed!

Like the title says, it's a basic refurb.

It'll get used for a while and that will give me a chance to work out any "bugs".

Really Harry?!?!?! More pics??

sigh.. maybe I can get some during the week.

Hi'Ya Kraig! Good to "see" you here too!

Latest posts

Back