• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Basic Refurbish

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne, it's just that rattles can is do much handier for just 1 or 2 small parts, or to cover up a weld or machine work area, after a gray primer of course.

At any rate, it sure beats Cat Yellow!!
304220.jpg
IHThumbsDOWN.jpg

To all, yes, I primed with light grey.. the CC yellow needs to many coats to cover imho.. pita!

Wayne, re: the missing length, I think the missing piece and it's replacement length is like a discussion on oils.. Some is better than NONE! LOL.. As I suggested earlier, 1/4 to 3/8 piece is missing I think.

Now, what else will I break with my ball pein hammer so we discuss another topic?? LOL.

Mike-

Can you post some pics of the shaft you're working with? I'm assuming you're speaking of the dowel length??? Or are you asking about the total drive shaft length?

A little confused as usual.

GUYS!!!!

I think we're missing the point of this thread.

If your restoring or just doing a refurbish, start your own thread so everyone can benefit from the procedures you went through.

There's way to much information getting lost here that should be on the main forum board, OR in a NEW thread.

Wayne, sure I can snap some pics.. next time I get to the shop.

My pic will look just like the one you posted, but, the small shaft is short.. it looks like the end broke off from bouncing around. When I unbolted the rag joint I knew instantly something was wrong because the only thing holding the shaft was the rag joint. And I know that is wrong!

The rubber and fabric coupler is only to transmit the rotary motion, not to "carry" the shafting.

The coupler was even hitting the oil filter! So I knew there was a problem. It wore the paint off the top of the filter, Yikes!!

Sorry Charlie-

I was under the impression that if it is helping with a members refurb then it was allowed. All of the recent posts, at least from me were only about the drive shaft dowel and the fan installation plus we touched on painting.

It's all Harrys fault (LOL). Just kidding Harry.

I'm confused as well.. other than the grill some fellas jumped in with, I've been ramblin on with my work on the 169..

And the first 6 posts weren't anything steady.. so I moved in. Do we need the number 169 in the title or do you want me to start over?

Nevermind!

Continue on with what you guys are doing, not a problem.

Seems I'm the only one that understands the wording!

<font size="+1">start your own thread</font>

SO, the next step will be to remove the rearend and start the install of the hydraulics that the tractor didn't come with. I bought the complete setup from a fella in CT last year. Now's the time I guess.

It'll be a week or so tho'.. some stuff to get done first.

Mike - just when are ya gonna learn. Stick to your Cub Cadets (unless you were looking for parts for your 34 Ford at the swap meet).

Actually I was selling parts from both of those projects and no-one was interested in either! OH Well...

Lotsa house projects coming up but I'll squeeze in shop time here and there.

Made some time for the cub today, I started reviewing the manual to install the hydraulics into the 169. As directed in the document (thanks Harry!) I laid out the parts and began to see what was going where. But I noticed the handle that connects to the control lever has no place to fit into, to hold it secure. The tower has the hole for the handle to pass through on the right side, but there is nothing on the left side to support the handle.

Any help is surely appreciated!

Mike-

Take a good look at the bracket that holds the spool valve. That's where the hole is for the left side, or end of the control lever.

Thanks Wayne. I'll have another look. The install manual from harry makes it look like there is a mount just above the valve.

I'll check out the top of the valve a bit better.
TIA

Catching up here, how is it coming, Mike? Have you gotten the hydraulics installed yet?

(Aside: Charlie makes a good point, "Basic Refurb" had never adequately described your project in my opinion, because, (1) you're restoring a 169, and (2) you're not the average restorer. First of all, you have been a part of the community here on the Forum for ages, and second you are a machinist. I know you're just "piddlin' around" with this project, but, hey, it means something to the rest of us. That is all, I feel, Charlie is saying. I would recommend starting a new thread. Based on your previous comments on this thread, you could title it, "My First and Last Cub Cadet Restoration." Or, "Mike Frade's 169 Restoration." The "169" part is pretty special, but then, so is the "Mike Frade."
smile.gif
--Just sayin')

Special Thanks to Wayne Shytle's and Harry Bursell's contributions to the discussion.
greenthumb.gif

You raise some good points JC.. But this started as a simple cleanup and re-assemble.

But then I took the cylinder head off.. and then I found a hydraulics setup.... oh, and while the motors apart, let's toss the balance gears and install a rebalance kit...

OOooo don't forget the driveshaft! We haven't finished that one yet either! I like the idea of cardan joints.

As far as the title, perhaps Kraig or Charlie can re-name this one? I never thought so much angst came from others and their threads.. but, no matter. If the mods wish me to start a new thread - so be it,

I don't know, Mike. Perhaps you need to make a commitment to the project. You say that the Kubotas outrank the Cub on the farm, you say that you have a sentimental attachment to the 73 . . . but you're working on a 169 --which, after all, is one of the rarest and most sought after of all the IH Cub Cadets: some would say, the pinnacle of Kohler single cylinder engine technology, and despite all their draw-backs, more resilient than the twin opposed cylinders which followed it (in my opinion). Are you really going to fix it and sell it; or are you going to fix it and show it, at least a little bit --should be fun! If you're not really "into it" then leave the posting on this thread and piddle on to your heart's content (assuming Moderator's don't impose their will). But if a small part of you really doesn't want to let go, then you might consider doing as did Joshua Donald Stertz and Tom Hoffman have done and NAME THE BEAST, give the 169 a name, and use the name in the title (like Josh's "The Chief -- Dad's 149"). I can see it now, "The $#~&&* -- Mike's 169."

Ask yourself, has no character emerged, either from the machine, or from yourself, to which others can relate? Personally, I would like to find a tractor that I could call "Plucky."

Just food for thought. I share your struggle with holding on and letting go.
smile.gif

It's got a name... It came with it right from the factory. Ones the 73 and the other is the 169.

Commitment? I don't know how to reply to that. Our lives change and so we must make changes. Both tractors can have a place here on the farm, in concert with the Kubotas. Like a lot of guys here, I like to tinker and make things "better".

So what if I start a new thread? What happens with the work recorded here? I don't see me reposting it all.

Maybe I'll do a new thread and I'll call it "That S O B Mikes 169 make over"! we'll see what happens. Busy around the house and farm so no time for tractors right now.

Back