Archive through September 12, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone.
I just picked up an Original from my neighbor, which i need help on. The motor turns over, and has spark and good compression. However, he told me it had developed a loud clutch chatter, so he parked it, and it sat for 6 years. What causes this , and does it mean its time for a new clutch? Thanks.
1a_scratchhead.gif

I also have a question concerning my 124. I put in a fresh new battery, and installed a new VR which has been set properly. However, the Amp Gauge is showing a charge just past the first dash. Could this be normal since i have a new battery, or is it bad brushes, cause i repalced all the non working stuff, and i get a charge, but not as much as i had hoped. Thanks.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Art-
That's EXACTLY what I've done with a frame. I used a unibit to drill out the spot welds on the frame, then used a grinder to take off the spot welds on the tunnel. You get some really nice holes to plug weld your "new" tunnel back on with. And it looks completely stock.

Tim, The starter/generator is only rated at 15 amps and with a DC gen you have to rev it up to get that. Is the amp meter a 30 amp or some are up to 60 amp? The greater the range the less movement. Remember the dash ammeter is not test instrument grade, but is a general indication only. If the meter reads up the scale and the battery stays up that is within the original perameters. If the battery does not stay up you will need a test meter to get accurate readings. If you need to do additional testing,someone here will be happy to talk you through it.

Art,

I only see one problem with your idea.....

You didn't start with a SGT frame with PS!!!!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Today I started to make a list for snow season. It won`t be long before the white stuf is with us lol.
213168.jpg

And I need to be ready
old.gif

ART - Steve's got a GOOD POINT. The extra 6-8 inches in length of the SGT frame really doesn't make the tractor/loader too long to be awkward and really helps traction because it gives your rear weights better leverage against the loaded bucket on the loader.

And I'm sure you have some sort of P/S in mind. It would take less than a minute on my Super H to convince anyone a loader without P/S is not the handiest thing.

ROB D. - Nice find on the IH 3-pt rear blade. My frt blade was actually in WORSE shape paint-wise. But it's better now, I just need to get the big "
ihrotate.gif
" decal for it.

ANYHOW, mowed yesterday with the 982/50C deck. The very back 1/2 acre I hadn't mowed in over two months. The grass was VERY tall and THICK, probably over a foot tall, Too bad I didn't have a CC 71 with a mower to mow it with! My ONAN in the 982 is suffering with the plastic governor ring problem the Guys @ WFM are having, so I have to manually closely regulate engine RPM. I was mowing really slow, just creeping along and when I was about 1/3 to 1/2 done, having just trimmed around a tree, I look forward and BLUE SMOKE is rolling out of the front! I hadn't heard a pop, bang, or any BAD noise from the engine, and it really wasn't laboring at all. I bailed off the tractor and went to the frt of the tractor, burning rubber smell, and the smoke was dissipating, I was slipping the mule drive belt, BAD! Guess I better get a new belt... and SOON!

Steve-
Hmmm... Great minds???

Power-steering...

SGT frame....

Here's a hint. The only word you forgot to use was "yet".

lazerburn.gif

Denny-
6"-8"? Is a SGT really THAT much longer than a standard frame GT?
dunno.gif

ART - If I remember right, the wheelbase of an SGT is 51", and I think a NF was 43"; and WF's are 44". But the SGT frt axle is swept forward so the increased frame length is about two inches shorter than the difference. ALL those dimensions on the WB's are from memory, but I did try to measure the forward sweep of the 982's frt axle.

Think it was Travis who extended a std WF to the SGT frame length years ago for a project. All the increase was between the rearend & steering column.

I know you really notice that extra length of the SGT when you spend any time on one, Really lets you stretch out & get comfortable.

Latest posts

Back