Archive through October 29, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: I have a 129 that has a 10hp from a narrow frame. I have bought a ported pump and hydrolic lift. How will this tractor perform until i get a larger motor?

Dustin, seeing as you have not stated what you plan to use the 10hp powered 129 for, it's not possible to say if 10hp is enough or not. Having said that, assuming the 10hp engine is in good condition it should be capable of most anything reasonable you would use it to do.

Looked at that file and yelled A-HA! I got it now! Sometimes its easier when I see it!
worthy.gif

I decided to replace the pin on the 1650 front axle with a bolt so I can keep the axle tight. I know a lot of people have done this but I thought I would post some pictures again.

96121.jpg

I used a 3/4 inch grade 8 fine thread bolt. Cut the head down to 1/4 inch. Used a half height nylon lock nut and cut the length of the bolt to the end of the nut.

With the head of the bolt cut to 1/4 inch there is about 3/16 inch clearance between the oil pan and the head on a Quietline cub.

96122.jpg

With the 1/2 height nut on the front the shaft on the mule drive just touches the nut. You could pick up more clearance if you ground down the collar on the front but I don't see this as a problem since the shaft doesn't rotate.

96123.jpg

Richard, is that axle in backwards? Shouldn't the side with the grooves cut from the mule drive pulley be facing the front?
1a_scratchhead.gif
And with the offset now towards the front won't it be cut even worse if used with a mower?

Kraig You just ruined my day. Guess I know what I will be doing today. By the way it sure improves your turning radius without the stops.

Richard, sorry. I guess it's better to find out it's backwards now then find out after your axle is half worn through by the mule drive pulleys and your nicely redone 1650 ends up looking like this Cub (green stripe I believe makes it a 108).
icon_eek.gif

96127.jpg

Kraig:
Is that the Cub version of ROTFL ????
clappy.gif

Richard, tighter turning radius would be a good thing as long as the tires don't rub. Hmmm, I wonder if the ~3/4" longer wheel base would improve the ride?
dunno.gif

Kendell, could be.
happy.gif
At the least it's a well trained Cub. Now the question is, is it laying down or rolling over?
1a_scratchhead.gif
I think the one I just posted is playing dead.

Rich,dont feel so bad. Im sure all of us guys have a goof story to tell. Me,well, I was in such a hurry to run my newly redone 147 that I forgot to tighten the bolts on the front tires. Needless to say I didnt git very far before the front end tasted the dirt. Sorta looked like that 108. My little girl,megan,who is 11, was laughin at me so hard it made me even laugh about it...
blush.gif
bash.gif
roflol.gif

That 108 looks like my 1450 did after I popped a wheelie on the ashault in front of the house not long after I got the Cub. It felt like I was going over backwards so when I hit the lever back to neutral I slammed the front end back down so hard it split the axle. I was sick about it. The only way I could get the Cub back to the barn was to lift the front and prop it up on my push mower and put the lever in forward and walk along with the push mower to get it home. I was pi$$ed and pretty embarressed. Just glad my wife wasn't home when it happened.

I welded that axle with nickel rod and beat it around on the ground to make sure it was strong enough. I ran the tractor for a few years before ever replacing the axle with a good used one. I kept the welded one as a back up.

Back to the hydro lift again, I checked the manual you posted and then went out to look at my frame, I realized that they must have drilled every hole for everything I could possibly add on at the factory! Oh happy day!! any way I think it will not go on till spring when it gets the tear down, paint, and rebuild I plan on doing. Not sure. You guys have been very helpful!

One of the cub guys here broke his front axle accidently dropping off of a curb. He is a welder by trade so an easy fix, but he was swearing quite a bit when he did it.

And this is why he is called "The Keeper of the Photos" May the force be with you kraig
war.gif

Latest posts

Back