Archive through October 24, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcurrier

displayname
Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)
Dustin: My guess is no. How's that for a way to start a new page?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Charlie:
Great recycling!! We need to find a use for the bolt hole "plugs", then all that's left is the dust...

Hello Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.
tophat.gif
I recently bought a Cub Cadet 169. Bought it as a project tractor for my 8 year old son and I. I do not have it in posession yet but plan to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Our plan is to do a total restoration of the tractor. Depending on the condition of the engine we may or may not overhaul it. Depends on how it runs once we actually get it home. Our long term plan is to also acquire implements for the tractor. I will post photo's as soon as I get the tractor home. This is our first cub cadet and I'm hoping I can call on the members of this forum for knowledge and information once we begin this project. Thanks in advance..........Reggie

Finished putting the 106 back together today runs better and no more rattles! I have a new harness coming thats color coded and was wondering if it would be easier to run all that wiring with the engine in or out? I didnt get too involved in looking for how things were run with the original wiring harness, it was getting cold, dark, windy, and late(yesterday), plus I was gettin the "eye" from the missus! I had to go in cause I had to work today, I noticed the time on this site is one hour behind me so I had to be up at 2:45am your time!! Anyway let me know!

And what the heck is that wear button for the pto made out of?

I have a cub 1450 and picked up a snow plow for the front., but it dodn't come with the rod to connect the plow to the hyd lift. Can someone measure theirs and let me know how long I need to make mine.

Thanks.

Reggie, WELCOME!
wave.gif
groupwave.gif
wave.gif
We like restoration projects, we, well I do anyway, especially like progress photos of restoration projects! Best wishes to you and your son, sounds like a great father son project. I'll do all I can to help answer your questions and I'm pretty sure others here will do the same.

Scott, there are after market bronze buttons available that work well too. See the colorful buttons above, CCS carries them, others might also. I'd say that it's MUCH easier to install the wiring harness with the engine out. The forward portion of the harness runs along the right side of the engine down in the frame then up to the voltage regulator. It gets kinda tight between the engine and the frame.

Kraig, Thanks for the info, I have seen those bronze buttons and was unsure of them. can the engine be loosend from its mounts and "rocked" over to the left just for more space? I dont have an engine lift and cant lift the engine by hand due to some medical condition I have. (hernia)

Scott, I was thinking you had the engine out already (I didn't read carefully enough). Seeing that the engine is in, you might be best off just removing the S/G and the mounting bracket so it's not it the way then you might be able to wiggle the harness down into place.

Michael: I have asked that question twice now with no answer. Hopefully someone answers you!

I am using the arm off of my snow plow, but I don't think it lifts high enough. I will measure that later to give you a starting point.

I'm not sure what to do restore the 106 first or have "things" taken care of. I might wait to install the wire harness till then but I'm also putting in an electric lift so I'm leaning towards installing wire harness anyway, besides I'm waiting till after deer season to have "things" taken care of, and I dont like doctors with small knives anyway!!!!

Micheal,Steve, I have a lift rod for a NF that is 32" long and one for a WF that is about 36" long with a slight bend in it, just to give an idea, the WF measurments arent exact I'm just "eyeing" it next to the NF one, but looking at it some added to that at some point. CCS specialties has one for a WF that is approx. 28" long.

Scott, I'd install the wire harness before I'd install the electric lift. <FONT SIZE="-2">IMO, FWIW, YMMV, My $0.02, Yada, Yada, Yada...</FONT>

Frank - The 3 pin driver on your 1200 is the same as the one used on the "hydrostatic disconnect attachment" - basically an optional clutch that could be added to hydro tractors.

Thanks guys for the compliments and yes Lonnie it is the same tractor. A ton of work so far but having a good time doing it. Stripped it down 1000% and sandblasted everything. Waiting on front tires from Cub Cadet Classics and I will have a rolling chassis. Next will be the engine(don't know if it even runs) and then the mower deck. Good winter time stuff. Here is a pic of some of the original parts before prime and paint. I think I counted 140 pieces for this painting, nuts and bolts add up real fast. Here are some before /after pics of my 149 I did a few years ago. It wasn't as bad to start with but it turned out good. Thanks, Nick
95743.jpg

95744.jpg

95745.jpg

95746.jpg

Don't mind that funny colored green tractor in the background.

Good morning, All. Chris: Thanks, that's good to know. Now that you've mentioned it, I remember reading about that modification somewhere in the hazy past. Wasn't it's main purpose to make starting easier in cold weather?
coffee.gif

Good morning all. Its fall clean up today and i`ll be using my 147 to haul the splitter down the road and the 149 to haul wood to the house .Then its the 149 and trailer and leaf duty with the 147 hauling the leaf rake . I think we will also be putting ( storing ) some of the outdoor lights that the wife has around the yard. ( about 60 lol).
I do hope to get the winter tires installed on my truck.Calls for 140 lbs torque on the wheel nuts. so a busy day for me and the other half. Have a great Cub Day all.
thumbsup_old.gif

Latest posts

Back