• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through October 13, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Paul D.
I noticed on the photos of the cub you posted the seat springs were mounted backwards. Does this give a better ride, or was it a miscalculation?

finally got the deck attached and the cyclone rake hooked up... fall leaves, bring em on trees!
bouncy.gif

question though, does anyone know how to make the 106 cub go SLOWER? it goes so quick i can't get all the leaves up...
help.gif

179395.jpg

179396.jpg

179397.jpg
help.gif

Andrew S,

If first gear is still to fast, the only choice you would have is a creeper for the 106, or do like I did, and get a Hydro......

Andrew,

If you're mainly trying to pick up leaves and not mowing, try cutting the throttle back. You won't get as much chopping action from the deck, but you'll put leaves through the vacuum slower while still maintaining the same carry velocity in the hose.

Also, try raising the deck a notch. The 42" decks don't scavenge very well, especially at low settings. If the deck is close to the ground, it also restricts airflow into the deck, reducing the carry velocity into the vacuum.

Looks like we got a Red Green disciple there.....
clappy.gif

Vincent T. they are Carlisle's 4 ply. I found a good deal on them through Tucker Tire down in Tennessee. I thought when I paid for them they were an off brand till they showed up at my door!

I've been fighting with the drive shaft and clutch install on the 104. I'm not sure why I waited so long to put it in but I did. I'm having trouble getting the shaft through the clutch lever. I think I may have put the wrong spirol pin in there, it seems too long. I'm taking apart tomorrow to replace it with a shorter one. Hopefully I will be riding it around this time tomorrow!!!!

Thanks for the advice Scott and Jerry.

Scott, what is a creeper, what does it cost, and where can I get one? I am assuming switching out to a hydro is a pretty expensive operation.

Jerry,

I heard that lowering the throttle on these air cooled engines can burn them out, did you hear something different? I did try raising the deck it a to the second lowest setting, and noticed a reduction in leaf and debris pickup. I don't know why that is.

Thanks again to both of you.

you can lower the throttle all you want till it stalls, its not gonna hurt anything unless you are having air flow problems,
as for the creeper its basically a bolt in gear reduction box, it can let you go as slow as a whopping .8 miles an hour i believe, post in the wanted section or maybe see if any of our sponsors (above) have one for sale, typically all the ones i see go from $100 to $150, i don't know how mechanically inclined you are but i would saw it isn't that hard to install.

PS: good to see that undercarriage go to a good home!

heres a good question for all of you to ponder... would dull blades be better for leaf pickup?
im thinking of the less crunch more push!

Andrew S.-

DO NOT mow at less than full throttle...regardless of what Matt S. and Jerry M. say. I'd recommend getting a hydro model...it's much easier to mow with those.

Matt S.-

I would rather have them get shredded a bit; more can be collected in each load that way. That's why the leaf collection tractor back at home has gator blades on it.

I was wanting to try and find out which is the best way to remove a stering wheel? I am tearing down my model 70 and have got to that point, would a gear puller or something like that work? Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I mow in 1st gear wide open, very seldom but sometimes wide open in 2nd depending on how dry of a year its been.

Anthony, check out the faq's and there should be one on how to remove the steering wheel. If not follow the link to cubfaq.com it is definatly on there. Basically you need a large bolt a nut the same size as the blot you have to take off to get the steering wheel off and a BFH. It's not too hard to do.

i dont actually mow in less that full throttle, i was making the point that it wouldnt burn it up running at less than full, i dont think my mower would even cut at less than full!
but i never drive around at full, just seems like a waste...

I have a PTO question. I have a 782 model and when i bought it they said it had "electrical issues." Indeed the PTO did not work. however after a new switch and safety seat switch, the PTO kicked right on. So i then hooked up the blower, the first flip of the switch and it kicked right on, since that times (maybe 5 tries) the PTO waits, as I jack with the throttle it will eventually kick on.

whats my issue?

Actually, you can overheat it and take the temper out of the rings by not operating it at full throttle under load.

Brett M.-

I think you have a bad connection somewhere. I had that problem on my 782D and it wound up being a couple of corroded connectors in the wiring harness.

I just picked up a sweet 149 and I've got a couple questions. It's got a plastic gas tank. Is this original? It also has a coupling on the driveshaft at the engine side. It looks like the kind used on pump drive shafts, not like my 129 at all. Is this original? Thanks!

179408.jpg

179409.jpg

Back