Archive through October 07, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cory
They all had the oil bath air cleaner unless the engine was replaced in later years with a K181, 8 hp replacement engine.

Thanks Paul, i was just wondering but my engine plate says K-161 and the tractor doesn't have an oil-bath air cleaner. Was there a way to convert the K-161 to a regular air filter?
179197.jpg

By Jim Patchett (Jpatchett) on Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 11:50 am:

"...The stock stroke length is too short for a complete burn and the remaining unburned fuel/air mixture is pushed out into the muffler (wasted $)..."

I'm going to be building up a K301 for my 126 this winter and this statement got me to thinking, why not stroke the motor to alleviate this problem? After mulling it over for a couple days, it finally hit me... Stroke doesn't affect the time available for the combustion event. That being the case, educate me. What am I missing?

I was looking at a price list for Cub Cadet Model 1000. It reads: "1000 Cadet (10 H.P. Gear) HVC 550"......What does the "HVC 550" stand for ?

At 65 and still learning

Mike P.
The 982 is indeed a very nice piece of iron, the twin cylinder Onan is a good engine, though very expensive to repair or replace, and the pretty much bulletproof IH drivetrain makes it an excellent tractor. I'm not sure if the 982 has internal or external brakes, my 129 has external brakes but a 1650 I recently parted had internal brakes, so you'll have to look. You'll need a tractor with external disc brakes to even think about doing dual pedals.

Other than the brake issue, the front hydraulic ports can be added with fairly little trouble, but you'll have to fabricate hoses and brackets, and probably convert the current lift lever to a dual setup. All of this can be done, but you'll still have a lot of fab work on your hands.

My thinking is that a 149 might be a better choice. A good 982 still commands a hefty price, and all that nice streamlined cowling around it will make the fab work more difficult. It will already have the ported hydraulics, disk brakes, and not an excessive amount of cowling to get in the way. They are also a lot more available than the 982s at a reasonable price, and the Kohlers are cheaper to overhaul and repair than the Onan, as long as the block isn't completely worn out or ventilated. The single cylinder Kohler will shake more than the Onan twin, the effect will be more like putting a Honda Gold Wing up against a Harley Davidson Fat Boy. The Honda runs smooth as silk, the Harley will shake rattle and roll.

In the end, its up to you.

Thanks Bruce for the input!
Yes, the IH 982 does have the external brakes on it - at least for sure when it has the brake pedal's it does!! I think I am still going to push to find one - I certainly do like their styling. Other thing the dealer around here that sells the parts for them is decent to work with, but I don't know how much knowledge he will have with the older stuff, don't want to get too old on him! The Onan parts are still available through Cummings in Cananda who now own Onan supposedly, according to the IH dealer here, so that's not an issue - but probably still expensive like you said!

MIKE P. - I bought my 982 about 9 yrs ago. Mine has all the options, I was actually looking for an 1872 or 2072 but this 982 jumped out at Me. I've made a bit of stuff for the Cat O 3-pt, the steering brakes are nice to have when Your used to them on full size farm tractors, and it took Me about 8 yrs to finally get something to use the aux. frt remotes for. I bought a used Pronovost hyd. tandem axle dump cart, 3000# cap. and it works great on the 982. Cart's box is 6 ft long, 4 ft wide, foot deep with 6 inch side boards. I've hauled tons & tons of dirt, rock, & brush with it in the last year or so.

I'm not a big fan of the ONAN, and the tiny oil filter for it costs double what the HUGE filter for My Powerstroke oil filter costs. But it seems to run O-K.

I'd look for the newer 1872/2072, You get a Kohler opposed twin cyl. engine and Power Steering. The rest of the tractor is all the same except for the paint.

I bet it has something to do with weight. And what's up with the 1650 being 15 hp? That's a pretty glaring error on the writer's part.

Latest posts

Back