• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 02, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric, at the end of October there is a Plow Day scheduled to take place in Illinois. Watch for LOTS of photos from that on how well garden tractors can plow. If you can't wait that long click HERE for photos of the Plow Day that was held last April in Iowa. Also Lonny just posted a bunch of photos of his garden that he plowed under and then used a double disc setup to smoooooth it out. Click on the "Archive through September 24, 2006" at the top of the page for Lonny's photos.

Thanks, Kraig.

So, if I hook up right and the power of my tractor compares to those in the pics, I should have no problem. Next question, how does the power in my 1650 compare to some of the models in the pics. When I here 125 or 145 or 147, I don't know enough to be able to make a comparison.

Thnx
Eric

Eric, The 125 is a 12hp, a 147 is a 14hp and your 1650 is a 16hp. Usually but not always, with the IH Cub Cadets with a 3 digit model number the first 2 numbers are for the HP and last number is for either gear drive of hydrostatic, with an odd number for hydrostatic and an even number for a gear drive. With a 2 digit model number, for instance a model 72 the first digit is the hp, a 7hp in this example however all the 7hp models are gear drive so a model 73 is a 7hp gear drive. For the 4 digit model numbers the first 2 digits are the hp and the last 2 digits determine the drive system a "00" would indicate a gear drive and a "50" would indicate a hydrostatic. Of course the "82 series" changed this numbering system again. A 782 is a 17hp hydrostatic drive with hydraulic lift, a 682 is also a 17hp hydrostatic but without hydraulic lift and a 1282 is a 12hp hydrostatic and so the confusion goes on. In any case your 1650 is more then up to the task of clearing snow with a 42" snowthrower.

Greetings!

Thanks for the info, Kraig. While I'm loving our beautiful northern Wisconsin fall, I suddenly find myself wishing for snow.

Gov:
Somethin's up at the Homewood Metra station:
your_image.gif

Kraig,

One hole has to be drilled in the driveshaft for the 1/4 in diameter roll pin that locates the coupling arm. An easy job with a sharp bit, cordless drill, and a little care and patience. Can be done with drive shaft still in the tractor.

David, thanks for the prompt reply to my query. I suspected that but wasn't sure. I should 'fess up that I had selfish motives for asking that as I intend to perform that mod to one of my 125s, that is once I get a rebuilt engine mounted into it.
happy.gif

Gov:
I know this is OT, but somethin's up at the Homewood Metra station:
41445.jpg

Ray -

Is that where they're gonna park your private varnish?
lol.gif

At least let it be an old loco, but with my luck it will be a rusted caboose. . .
sad.gif

Charlie P,
Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself very clear - my OEM metal fan doesn't have rubber between it and the shaft, rather the rubber is located between the fan hub itself and the upper and lower collars (the lower collar having the set screw). Anyway, last night I cut the shaft just below the rag joint flange and then placed the shaft and fan vertically in my bench vise. I pounded the shaft down & out/off the fan assembly - it went out pretty easily, without any distortion to the fan assembly. I see now that the fan and the set screw collar is a one piece affair. I didn't realize that earlier. I thought the collar was a separate piece from the fan hub...

ANYWAY, This AM, I picked up my new shaft and engine flange from my CC dealer. I slipped the fan on the shaft to ensure it would fit and marked it's location. I ground a small 'flat spot' on the shaft to allow the set screw to get a foot hold. I slipped the fan back on, tightened the set screw at the flat, degreased all of it and painted it. I'll assemble the shaft into the tractor tonight. Hopefully, I'll be shredding leaves tomorrow!! :D

Thanks again everyone for all the help, ideas, assistance and encouragement!

RW
happy.gif
beerchug.gif

Hello Ive' been having trouble keeping the head bolts tight after cleaning the head of a K241 (10hp) I've had to tourque(35lbs)the bolts 3 times so far when I do the engine clears right up. Should I use some kind of thread locking solution on the bolts or lock washers or keep tourqueing them? James

OK, new problem. I think something is up with the transmission or something between the engine and the back of the trany. Its making tons of noise. What the heck do you think is going on. I havent tryed taking stuff apart in fear that I may screw something up.. What do you think I need to do.

ROBERT - We need more information to help....Your profile shows You have two gear drives....does the tractor make the noise all the time? Clutch pedal pushed down? Only when in gear & moving? If I had to make a wild guess I say that something is assembled incorrectly in the clutch.

Eric N. Welcome!!!
wave.gif

Charlie P. I went to bed right after posting. Dang cold/flu bug going around at work and I had to bring it home to Angel. It wore us both out. I'm feeling better today though. UMmmm..... I think I would miss the diesel a little bit much if'n I traded you. The twin granddaughters already want to be in some parades with Grandpa pulling a trailer with it. I could possibly use one of the 104s next year ( someone said, "..enough Cubs for the rest of the year." and since she is one half of this household... well.... BTW... I'll be sending you some literature in the next couple days. Something that I ordered out for you last month finally came in today. I found out that they are in scarce commodidity status right now.

Dennis F.

Do you wear any type of hearing protection when running your cubs for those exstended periods?

I very seldom start my cubs with out some sort of hearing protection, as I already have some hearing loss due to a 357mag being discharged a foot above my head when I was in my late teens.

Lonny B. and all,

Speaking of loud tractors....I asked once before but did not get any opinions on this....
Most of our kohlers have 25 to 35 year old mufflers that may look ok on the outside, but probably have the insides burned out or rusted out.

Is there much improvement in noise reduction by putting on a new muffler? My 129 has the original muffler--seams real loud to me--and I'd like to quiet it some. I hate to spend $30 bucks or more and not get a quieter exhaust.

Any opinions, guys?

Thanks

Jerry H

I can not answer your question as I am still useing the muffler that was on my cub when I purchased it last year.
I do not know when if ever it was changed out.

All I do know is that it is loud and I wear ear plugs every time I use it.
If I am just starting it to move it a couple of feet I forgo the ear plugs.

Jerry H. I just bought a 10 dollar muffler from "ACE hardware"... it sound really good. It for a Kohler or Briggs

Latest posts

Back