• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 01, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
Ok, I am looking for some opinions here.
I need to try to use my tiller pin for a plow pin,
What will be better for the location of the cotter pin to hold it on the lift.
Turning the pin 90 degrees and drilling a hole or should I turn it 90 degrees and slide the hole back a qaurter inch to avoid going thru at the same point.

263328.jpg

Frank C,when you adjust the exhaust valve,roll the engine back words till you come up on the exhaust valve,or you be on the c/r ,and you will be way out of adjustment .hope this helps .David

Jeff,

I use my tiller pin for both tilling and plowing. I have not used a cross cotter pin for plowing. That being said drilling another cotter pin hole at 90 degrees a quarter inch back from the existing hole should not weaken the pin. Why not just drill a hole for plowing on the other end of the pin and a hole for the cotter pin on the side used for tilling. Just a thought.

Gimme a break! That cotter pin hole is so far down the pin that all it does is hold it in place.
(Disclaimer--just another country heard from).
happy.gif

Dave: You just threw me a curve, but maybe it will help Mike??
Shouldn't the valves be set at TDC??

So what your saying Dennis, I should put my torque wrench back in the tool box and go find one with a better rage on it for my head? The one I have is a Mastercraft and it starts at 25lbs and goes up from there, think its like 150 or 180? So is it possible I have them too tight now? I just snugged them up nice, not like I put my foot up on it and started reefing on it.
263331.jpg

I haven't had the time to get back to it yet. Hopefuly the head and the gasket are fine, I just want to get the dog on thing to fire for me!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Jeff - I had a couple of those pins made a few years ago, like you suggested: with the cotter pin holes 1/4" apart. I don't think it really makes much difference in terms of pin strength, since that point is inside the the rear lift casting, but it prevented any problems that may have come up by drilling through the same axis. I haven't had any problems - they work great.

Frank,
Are you saying you do not think its worth drilling a hole for the cotter pin, and that it may stay put with out it?

My other thought was just drill a short hole and tap it for a set screw. It sounds easier than trying to drill a straight hole thru it.

Mike I like the mechanic

Aw, Mike, your snugged them up nice comment tripped my trigger. Snugged them up nice to 30fps on your torque wrench in proper sequence? If so, and if it really was flooded when you last tried it, maybe this post is useless. We've been here long enough to know that it's hard to diagnose a problem, be it starting (usually), or some other problem that could be answered by searching for what's already here.
Since the "mini shutdown" I've had some time to think, and now it's time for me to thank Charlie for opening things up again. It could work as a reference place, but it wouldn't be a Forum.
Another thought was about what "Newbies" would think if they googled Cub Cadet Forum and came here. A big part of that thought came from the guy that called me about my Cub Cadet ad (he emailed back and has 4 boys, not 2).
During our time out I also went to Tree View.
Try that, sometime!
happy.gif
happy.gif

No, Jeff, I'm saying drill the freaking hole (for the cotter pin). Trust me, you can do it!
happy.gif

Sometimes I hate this job. Not really, but during the mini shutdown Jeanne asked me what happened and the only answer I had was Charlie's tired (I was too, at the time). Need a pic? Can't do it under 'edit".
happy.gif
happy.gif

... and to help show my dedication to this Forum:

263335.jpg

263336.jpg

I braved darkness, lions, tigers and bears and an uphill hike both ways to make this post. You lose, I survived!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Frank: It brings tears to my eyes to see your dedication.....
beerchug.gif

Jeff - you said "ok, I am looking for some opinions here".
Now, since Frank braved lions and tigers and an uphill hike both ways, I have to agree with Frank. Just drill the dang hole at a 90degree axis from the existing hole, and be done with it. That dang pin ain't gonna break.

Frank - no tears in my eyes like Gerry's, but the company I work for makes those defiberlators and I could get you a good price. You probably should have one if you keep going on those both way up hill hikes. And you might just need it if you do happen to see a lion or tiger.

Mike P - are you sure your torque wrench is in ft/lbs? Sounds more like the range for in/lbs.

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

Well I know it is up hill to the cub shed so it must be down hill coming back lol. my lift pin has a large washer welded on it so it would not slid in to far. works great and never had a issues with it. I never knew it should have been drilled and pinned.

HARRY - A torque wrench rated only 150-180 inch pounds would be only 12-1/2 to 15 foot pounds which would probably be a 1/4" drive wrench. Company I used to work for had small screws they torqued to 4 INCH-Pounds, but used air wrenches for them.

Just so it's clear. converting from foot-pounds to inch pounds, you multiply the number by twelve (12). And to convert from inch-pounds to foot pounds you divide the number by twelve (12). I've also seen torque spec's rated in Inch-Ounces, but there's nothing on a Kohler with that rating. That's REALLY not very tight.

MIKE P.- Can't really say if your may have the head bolts too tight or too loose. Sears/Craftsman doesn't appear to offer my 3/8" bending beam torque wrench anymore, Mine is calibrated in inch pounds, zero to 600 inch-pounds, which would be 50#/ft. They only sell two now, calibrated zero to 75 #/ft, one 16 inches long for $13 and the other 20 inches long for $27. Either one would be fine for Kohler final assembly.

You still need your big torque wrench for the nut on the flywheel.

On parts like head bolts, used threads, I chase the threads in the block with a new or really good tap and blow out the holes with compressed air and wire brush the whole bolt or stud. New parts like conn rods I spin the nuts on by hand and make sure they spin free, if they catch, I chase the threads on the bolts with a die and try them again, if they still catch, I chase the threads in the nut with a tap. On used parts like head bolts into the block I also test them by installing them finger tight first too.

I always tighten the fastener in three steps, like in the case of a Kohler head or conn rod, where the spec in 25-30 ft pounds, 300 to 360 inch-pounds, I'll do 10 ft-pounds, or 100 inch pounds, then 20 ft-pounds or 200 inch pounds, then finally, 30 ft-pounds, or 350 inch pounds.

Most manuals don't specify to tighten in steps, but some do and it's a good idea to do it all the time.

ALLEN - No... I guess I just made everybody tired describing how much work I put into a rebuild.

Denny, perhaps everyone is torqued off over your explanation of torque wrenches.
rolleyes.gif
Don't worry, I'm keeping my day job...
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back