• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 28, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjrainey

displayname
brad rainey
Brian,
The carb float may have a hole, the float may be stuck due to being gummed up, or a bit of dirt could have prevented the float to close fully.
As a rule, every Cub I buy now gets a good carb cleaning\rebuilt if needed. And to make sure that my carb work isn't for nothing, I thoroughly clean the gas tank, replace all the fuel lines with an inline filter. Too many times somebody will take the time to clean and rebuild a carb, then neglect the tank and fuel lines, then get really upset when the problems that they fixed re-occur. Fuel line and an in-line filter are cheap compared to the time spent tearing down and re-cleaning a carb.

I just started restoring the mowing deck on a 1971 Cub Cadet 129. Anyone know the locations of the 4 deck stickers?

I have a question regarding the front drive pulley that connects to the starter/generator.
I was going to tighten the starter/gen belt and I noticed that the pulley (on the engine)was loose. The PTO clutch seems to be OK but the pulley is sloppy. I can move it sideways and turn it back and forward about 3/4 of an inch. I know that there are 2 set screws to hold it in place, but I don't think it should be that loose. Can anyone tell me what holds it in place? It has been a while since I have had it off and I don't want to take anything apart that I don't have to.
Any suggestions appreciated.
No snow yet, but waiting.
Earl LaMott

EARL - Sounds like your S/G pulley on the crankshaft has come loose from it's hub. I've had several do that and tach welded them back together. Also it's possible the drive key has worn the keyway in the crankshaft which normally required a second keyway to be cut in the crankshaft.

The pulley coming loose from the hub will normally let you continue to mow, but I doubt you could blow snow. And you won;t be able to restart your engine, the pulley will spin on the hub.

Jeremy, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Before we can answer that question we will need to know which mower deck you have. There are at least 3 different mower decks that could have been sold with your 129 when it was new. There are perhaps a few others that could have been swapped out with the original deck during the years it's been around...

Earl, you are going to want to remove the PTO ASAP to inspect that pulley!!!! Hopefully it has not yet destroyed the key slot in the crank.

TED, U can ask your questions for the IH 1650 Garden Tractor in this area! Then U will be Forum Correct...
Shift.gif
Any luck with your S.N.?

Ok, sounds like I am going to look at a 100 in a couple weeks...anything more I should be looking for?? This one has fenders on it and looking at a deck for it too - anything special to look for on the deck?

Battery question...my Cub will be under a tarp all winter with no anticipated use. Should I leave the battery in the tractor or put the battery in the cellar?

Allan - I'd pull the battery, store it inside but it doesn't have to be that warm as long as it stays charged. A charged battery will not freeze.

Allen-If it were up to me Id pull the battery out. Usually either way, whether you leave it in or take it out, it will probably lose charge and need charged come spring. Ive done it both ways, and both ways ended up with dead batteries for me. Just my .02

I have a question regarding the creeper gear it will not move in low?. hi or direct drive work good.thanks

Does anyone know what size woodruff key is used on the starter/generator for a narrow frame? Mine seems to have gone AWOL. Thanks, greg
233137.gif

Thanks Dennis and Kraig for the response on the S/G pulley. I thought that might be the problem but many times (after I have finished) I found an easier way to do the job. Now I just hope that the crank is OK. Wish me luck
Earl LaMott

Roger H.
The first thing I would check is the side of the creeper to see if the lever is fully engaging into the detent/dimple.
Next would be to see if the handle is hitting on something or the handle is bent.
Next would be to pull the creeper and check the yoke on the inside to make sure it's not bent or worn where it connects to the slide coupler.

Purchased a couple Originals yesterday from a fellow that used to be a forum member. He's from Fayetteville, TN. I know there are a few members on here that could guess who he is.

Moderator's perogative...
correct%20police.gif

Latest posts

Back