Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

129 fuel / filter / carb float

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

Rob Achenbach

So on the 129 weekly mower, after 30 mins is so it died. Sounds like it’s fuel starved. Previously installed an inline filter as well as replaced the tank valve/filter. This time took off the carb bowl thinking the float may have stuck. Cleaned the float and needle with carb cleaner but thought there was supposed to be some sort of spring or spring like attachment that held the float to the needle to pull it down as the float recedes as the bowl empties. I’m not seeing any on parts lookup diagrams but thinking there was one in place. Thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
If it ran for 30 mins. I would "guess" a half plugged line or tank cap vent hole plugged creating a vacuum...carb bowl full won't run any where near that long...if it was ok before you changed those items that's where you should be looking....you may have dislodged some crud....

danderson

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Doug Anderson
Tecumseh carbs use that clip. I don’t think Kohlers do. Looking at a Kohler needle there is nothing for a clip to attach to. The Kohler manual shows no clip.

Rob Achenbach

Thanks. To add/clarify just a bit, it did run as normal but after the initial stall, it would only run for a minute or 2 which is why I was thinking the float/ needle. You raise a very good point though as I did blow air backwards thru the tank and fuel did seem to flow a bit more freely after that.

jkoenig

displayname
Jim Koenig Halfway between Harvester, MO and Cadet, MO
Gravity and magic hold the world together.

...add another item for me to check on my project 782. Thanks you guys for pointing out yet another possible source of my problems. Such a wealth of info here!

Last edited:

Rob Achenbach

Thanks. Yep, that in line filter in the photo was from the local Yamaha dealer for an old 1980 motorcycle. Had an extra so figured why not but as you suggested, it’s not correct and may be from a partially vaccuum actuated system. Would you recommend then just removing the filter entirely and reverting to a straight feed from the tank relying on the in tank screen ( original design ?) or replacing the filter with another type that maybe more gravity feed friendly?

tkhoffman

displayname
Tony Hoffman
Thanks. Yep, that in line filter in the photo was from the local Yamaha dealer for an old 1980 motorcycle. Had an extra so figured why not but as you suggested, it’s not correct and may be from a partially vaccuum actuated system. Would you recommend then just removing the filter entirely and reverting to a straight feed from the tank relying on the in tank screen ( original design ?) or replacing the filter with another type that maybe more gravity feed friendly?
I would suggest to bypass you new filter and see if your issue goes away, if not, then put that filter back. I am a bit suspicious of that hard 'stone' filter. I bet it is more restricting then the much larger, more surface are, ones. Like Fram G12

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
The proper gravity fed fuel filter is inexpensive. CC Specialties sells a few different styles.

CC Specialties

Fuel Filter.JPG

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Opinion...always run a filter.It doesn't take much to plug a needle valve seat.I would never take the chance,like most breakdowns they seem to happen at the most inoportune time....

mgwin

displayname
Marty A. Gwin
Yes, my money is on the in-line filter being the problem. As stated, that one is for an engine with a fuel pump. Had one like that on a four wheeler once. You could look at it, and it would stop up!

Latest posts