• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 25, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myron: Will the wrong resistance plug WIRE cause any harm? My KT17 seems to be running perfectly but I don't want to harm any other component.

Nate: I did not replace the coil, just the coil to sparkplug wire. I just used "coil wires" because they are short...18" and 24" seemed to fit in there pretty good on my KT17.

Craig E: will it cause your engine to blow up??....nope. But when you begin to have engine problems, you'll know why...like hard starting, lack of power, possibly occasional missing etc....because of weak spark caused by the wrong wires.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Charlie,
I already did that. I thought you had your own FAQ.

Charlie,
I found it. . .
stupid.gif

Myron: Got it. I'll source some hard core wires and avoid the inevitable. I was just happy the thing ran so much better - now I'm looking forward to it starting easier.

Roland: Thanks for the hook-up - I'll find them.

Charlie:
That fire slot milled in the head - rings a bell on an article I read someplace ( or something I saw on CBS 60 Minutes) 1-2 years ago. Some engineer ( I think in India) had come up with that design and it was supposed to be the cure for everything except hangnails. The guy was dirt poor, engineered stuff in a shed and supposedly was being looked at by all of the big automotive mfgrs all over the world. He had taxi cabs and scooters running with that milled slot in the combustion chamber of the head on both flatheads and OHVs....
Late entry...I found a Wiki entry on the guy.. http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Singh_Combustion_Chamber_Turbulence

Myron B,

You mentioned that modern carbon core plug wires have the WRONG resistance for the older design Kohlers, and that a person MUST use a copper wire cored spark plug wire for proper operation of a K series Kohler...... Do you happen to know what the wire resistance needs to be?

Why do I ask? Because although I understand that a carbon core wire can become broken internally and result in producing a high resistance within the wire... However, I will say that I've been running an aftermarket automotive twisted-braid stainless steel core Mallory wire on my 129/12HP Kohler without any problems for a few months now....

I'm not doubting your expertise, Myron, rather I'm just sharing my own experience & trying to compare notes and learn from others as I become more familar with my 129 and what it likes/needs. It sounds like I may need to switch out my sparkplug wire as well....

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Re: Tipping angle

Thanks everyone for their input on my question.
When (and if) it ever rains again and the grass grows I'll keep your ideas in mind.
As it was I could only float up and down the river in the kayak last weekend. sigh....

Latest posts

Back