• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frank snerd,
An easy way to see if your ohm meter is reading low ohms is to hold both probes or maybe clips on yours, with your two hands. You should get a very low reading. If it sits at zero.. on the lowest setting... after being zeroed.. get a different one.

Kendell, Thanks for taking the time and adding important info. My expierence in the electronics industry with voltage problems was not solved with an ohm meter. But by following the wires back to the source, stopping at each connector to look for a voltage difference. I think many guys do the same thing, ie: 9volts at the starter instead of 11 or 12, then doing a 'shotgun' repair by checking every connector they can find. Still a low range ohms scale can be useful when properly used.
PS: have you ever figured why there is no zero ohms adj on high quality meters??<font size="-2">not incl. lab standard units</font>

Richard P. A low reading when you hold a probe in each hand?? Or did you mean to short the leads, because I just checked...1.4 million ohms between my left and right hand.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Wayne S I got the new coupler from Madsons. One of the fine sponsors of this site.

Allen Schumacher, Ahh..gee... I just checked myself with my 30 year old Radio Shack multi-meter. And I see my resistance is pretty high. So much for shooting from the hip.
blush.gif

This old analog has an ohm setting of RX1. But when I got up in the scale to RX10K, I see that my meter doesn't work at that setting. Which I never knew before. This is probably the first time in 30 years I used that setting.

So Frank. Never mind. Sorry for the incorrect information. And thanks Allen. Now I'll probably tear apart my meter to see if it's just a contact.

I'm out.

Josh:
Thanks for telling me about the double set screws in the front clutch. That is sneaky. I never looked for a second one. Now I am trying to get the bearing off. Prying is not doing much and a puller will damage the bearing. So I keep on prying.
Earl

Earl: Do you know that bearing has a locking collar on it? Cubfaq.com #28 might help.

Paul D. No it does'nt have one of those. that's something that i'm going to need. there are a lot of things i'm going to need for this 86.

eral i use my 3 jaw puller on the PTO bearings all the time and havent damaged one yet! of course it wont go anywhere without removing the lock collar
thumbsup_old.gif

Earl,

I use a long, blunt punch and approach the pto from under the muffler and by the points cover. Place the punch in the pulley groove and then use a good tap (with as much forward angle). Turn the crankshaft a little and repeat. I've done this many times and it works great. The bearing doesn't usually come off with the pto either. If it does, the locking collar wasn't doing its job. According to the manual, the locking collar is suppose to be turned to lock in the same rotation as the crank or counter clockwise. So, if it was installed properly you should need to tap it clockwise to losen it. The locking collar has a set screw and nut if it's like most I've seen. There's a shallow, unthreaded hole off to the side of the set screw hole. This is where you place the punch to turn the collar by tapping. You might notice some scarring from previous punch work.

Hope this helps Wayne

Back