• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 15, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwilke

displayname
Ryan D Wilke
Frank S.,
Frank C. provided a nice illustration including the values for the primary (4-8 Ohms) and the secondary (7K - 12K Ohms) circuits/windings.

Not too long ago I was working on the wiring for my Jeep when I started to doubt the readings of my Ohm meter. I followed a friend's advice and went down to RadioShack and picked up a 5 Ohm, a 500 Ohm, and a 10,000 Ohm resistor. I think they were about 25 cents each. Now when I'm in doubt of my meter setting or if I wonder if it's reading correctly, I can simply attach my two clips to each end of the appropriate resistor and it'll provide me with a "calibrated" reading.

Although I am using a digital VOM, I was told - as was mentioned here - readings in the less than 10 Ohms range is tough for most non-professional-grade meters.

I put each of the resistors in a small pill bottle (with some tissue paper in the bottom so they don't rattle around too much) and labeled the bottles accordingly. It worked for me!

Regarding the exhaust leak; I had the same issue on my 129. I was able to pick up a toothpaste-sized tube of muffler cement from my auto parts store. I disassembled the joint, smeared some on the leading edge then slipped it back together, smoothed the joint over with my finger and tightened the clamp. It is holding & sealing for me. Here is one brand: http://www.getprice.com.au/CRC-Maniseal-Exhaust-Cement-Brown-145G-Gpnc_648--41510351.htm

Ryan Wilke
thumbsup.gif

wayne if you look under the clutch spring you will probally find a lot of wear there. I don't think a redrill will fix your problems. It is best to get a new shaft and spring and rebuild the clutch while you have it out. You will probally need a teaser spring also. The sponsors at the top of the page will have everything you will need. Use the parts lookup above to view the parts.

Jeff H.

What do you mean when you said "it does not have any of the handles"

Greg P - re: deck idler bearings, I'm pretty sure the bearing is not replacable. The last whole pulley I bought several years ago was about $8. Check the part look-up above, CCS should have them listed. I'm pretty sure the pulley is the same on ALL 38", 42" and possibly the 44, 48, & 50" decks.

Also, might as well buy a new spring for the idler while You're at it. You have to remove the idler arm to replace the pulley, least ways I always do, the the eyelet bent into the end that bolts to the deck housing is always broken

Wayne,
The shaft name in the parts look-up is: Shaft, Reduction Drive, more commonly called an Input Shaft. You can find it on the Transmission Case, Differential and Reduction Housing page as item #24. The P/N is listed as 717-3073 (replaces IH-126488-C1, and IH 384710-R1) and list for $168.07. Personally, I would look for a good used one. If the hole in the one you have is worn, then the hole in the coupling is probably worn also.

Lhinds,

I replaced the driveshaft with one I had. It was worn some under the spring but the hole at the tranny was wallowed and that's why I replaced it. I took the driveshaft out to inspect and found the po didn't know much about turning bolts. The throwout bearing was backwards as were the spacer and teaser spring. The po also used slotted roll pins to reassemble. The good news they come out easy and I have a supply of coiled pins.

Pbell,

Thanks for the info. I figured that was the part when I viewed it earlier. Surprisingly enough the hole in the coupler wasn't worn that bad and a new coiled roll pin went in snugly. I'm going to see how well things go for now. That's a pricy little shaft and this 108 will be a worker. I will keep my eye out for a used shaft.

Thanks to all that helped...Wayne

Wayne S on my 128 I took out the input shaft and welded the hole completely shut. Redrilled for pin and put in new coupler and pin. The new coupler is nearly twice the thickness the old one was. This was over three years ago and no problems so far.

Paul D. It does'nt have the handles that would work the mower deck or the lift hitch. This 86 i bought does not have any implements on it. Jeff H.

jeff does it maybe have the optional electric lift???
1a_scratchhead.gif

No, Matt it does'nt have the electrical lift either. It does'nt have any implements at all. Jeff H.

Does anyone have experience with POR-15 on a mower deck? I'm considering getting some to seal my deck.

Tom F., not on a mower deck...but put some on the floor boards of a truck once with no carpet and it held up for years. Often wondered if it would be any good or not for decks. Nick

Tom; I use P O R 15 on my mower decks and it really helps a lot. I have one that i have been using for 3 years and the P O R 15 is still there. I sandblasted it then painted the por 15 top and bottom then added a speed up pulley and gator blades. That is one sweet mower deck.If you paint over it do so while the por 15 is still tacky or it won't bond good. Brushing it on seems to work better than spraying for me. Sure keeps the grass from sticking so bad and the deck discharges better. Just be careful when applying it because when it gets on your hands you have to wear it off.

Kharvey,

Where did you find a bigger coupler? The welding and redrilling sounds like my next step. I've got it back together right now but I'll probably try what you did in the near future. I assume the shaft wasn't that hard to drill.

Thanks for the info...Wayne

Well, the paint gods were good yesterday... Valspar w/ Hardener.... about 5 light coats on each
181190.jpg

181191.jpg

Applied all of the paint I had mixed, only to realize I forgot to hang and paint the front axle... DOH!!

Scott Tanner... Nice looking job you did there. I like the temp paint both lol. never thought of that. I don`t see fenders in that picture neither. I always forget a a few pieces lol. later Don T

Scott, looking good! Ya gotta love the look of fresh yellow paint in the morning.
greenthumb.gif

Don,
The curtains worked good, although I need to move them as close to the ceiling as I can to keep the spray from wafting over them...

The Fenders need to be prepped, so I guess I'll get the axle then...

This morning, The wife said I had some egg in my beard... Upon further examination,it was yellow cub paint...LOL

Latest posts

Back