• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 24, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and I are going to set about rebuilding the 129 this winter and I am wondering if I can pick up an extra couple horse by boring it out to the 14hp standard bore. Does anything else have to change or can I just punch it out and refresh with a new piston & rings?

CRAIG - Bore in a K321 (14 hp) is 3-1/2" and 12 HP K301 is 3-3/8". Some blocks can accept the overbore and some can't. There's other ways to build HP in these Kohler's. I wouldn't bore the block any more than necessary. Little port work and planing the head or decking the block really wakes these old flatheads up as long as You don't go too far with them. If the bore gets too large the top of the bore & head can crack & break off ruining the engine entirely.
Son & I built up a K321 (14 hp) last winter with the K361 cam (which is NLA now) similar to the spec's Dave Kirk shows in His Killer Kohler write-up. We've never really hooked it to anything that it couldn't play with, I really think it would outpull My 982 if I could get enough weight on it.

hey gang,
Is there any improvement in the transmission control linkage?
I need to reduce the slop between the pin and slot. Items #1 and #6
70779.jpg

My CRS brain seems to remember a pin, roller, slot set up on one of these but CRS.
1450 with loader w/ too much slop.
I will get new factory parts if that is the only option.
Thanks
Dudley

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 07:39 am:

Son & I built up a K321 (14 hp) last winter with the K361 cam (which is NLA now) similar to the spec's Dave Kirk shows in His Killer Kohler write-up.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Dennis,
Do you run that tractor over 3600rpms?

For some reason I was under the impression that the K361 cam wouldn't make much
difference in a smaller (K321 or K301) engine if you didn't raise the operating rpm level...?
...of course I may just need more coffee....
Ryan W
coffee.gif

Thanks, Dennis. I did not know that the 12 and 14 were different motors. Duh. I won't bother punching it out, then. I don't need high performance, just a reliable snow plow and lawn mower. Thought if I could sneak a couple horse out of it without much trouble I'd go ahead and do so.

Dudley - It's in the ... dare I say it ... <font color="ff0000">FAQ</font> <font color="0000ff">#14</font> and more pages linked @ the bottom of each page.

ken tuck
thanks for the incorrect response.
happy.gif

I have replaced the bushings and repaired the spring pockets on both parts. My wear is in the PIN and SLOT.
Is my only solution to buy new parts?
Are there upgrade parts that have a pin and roller that run in the slot?
My feeble brain either has conjured that up or has seen one somewhere in the electronic catalog but cannot find it.
That was and still is my question.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers
Dudley

Dudley - Welllllll Excuuuuuse Me
biggrin.gif

Part #1 in the above parts lookup is $41 , I didn't look for #6 ... I'd buy it new 'cause the only other way to get a "new fit" is to drill out the hardened plate and lathe turn a new bushing then harden it and weld it in.

Latest posts

Back